PDA

View Full Version : G73jh having battery problems

pnikkosis
06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
I had my G73jh for about 4 months now. A month ago started a weird hibertation/sleeping pattern, even on AC, and with everything turned off in Windows.
It magically worked out (or it was something microsoft broke and patch it later)
After that worked out, now I have battery charging problems. And I don't think it's my battery...
I turn on my laptop on battery and let it run for some time, let's say the battery drains till 30%, 20%, 15%, anything, pick a number. I then plug the AC and windows says it's connected and charing; but the battery is not charging. I could leave the AC plugged for an hour, 2, 3, whatever; and if I unplugged it again, it's at the same % as when I plugged it in.
It all works out if I turn the laptop off and let it charge, or if I restart windows. It's just starts charging again.

I used hwinfo32 to check the battery status, and when this problem happens, the "charge rate" it's 0.000W. If I unplug it, it goes to -66.xxxx W. I restart windows, check hwinfo32 again and it's charging at 33.xxx W

irdmoose
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Have you tried removing and reinserting the battery while the system reports a 0.0w charge rate? Also, check your power adapter to see if it's excessively hot.

pnikkosis
06-28-2011, 02:17 AM
The adapter is 24/7 extremely hot, since the day I purchased it. But all my laptop adapters get hot.
And yes, removed the battery and reinserted it, but it's the same.

irdmoose
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
If it's still under warranty I'd recommend calling Asus about the issue. When you restart your computer, do you do a full shutdown and turn it back on with the power button or do you simply have windows do a restart where it doesn't turn the system off? If it's the former, there may be a problem with the charging system either not charging without a power cycle. It sounds like it may be RMA time.

Chastity@ASUS
06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Turn off any power level warnings in the power profiles, and then let the battery drain to 0. Then plug it in and recharge to full. Your ACPI Battery controller prolly needs a reset.

pnikkosis
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
@irdmoose Can't RMA, I'm in Argentina; Asus has no support here. Either situation you present fixes the problem and starts charging the battery.

@chastity Once the battery it's on 0, the laptop will shutdown as if I pull the AC and no battery is present? or will it just hibernate/sleep?
And once it's on 0 charge, should I charge it with the laptop off?

edit: Can't change the power saving options. The critical battery level can't be lowered more than 5% and the action taken when the level is critical it's either suspend or power off. So it'll never reach 0% battery.

Chastity@ASUS
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Edit the power plan under Advanced settings in the Windows app. There's a reserved power level, Low Battery Action, Notification, Critical Battery Level and Action. Set these to 0%, and "Do Nothing" as appropriate.

pnikkosis
06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
I know, that's what I did. It can't be set to 0; the critical level it's in 5%, if I type 0 or lower it with the arrows it's just goes back to 5% when I try to apply it. And the action for critical level it's either suspend or turn off; there's no "do nothing", that option it's available only in the action taken by low battery level, not critical.

I want to unninstal power4gear, cause I'm sure that's f*cking up something, ever since I installed it I had problems. But there's not option nowhere, can't unninstall it.

edit: I found an explanation to the 5% problem:
http://www.howtogeek.com/58109/how-to-lower-the-critical-battery-level-to-1-in-windows-7/

irdmoose
06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Chastity was talking about the Windows UI for power settings. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Power options, click "Change Plan Settings" for the active power plan, and then click "Change advanced power settings". You'll have to dig around in there to find the options, but you should be able to find them in there.

Chastity@ASUS
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
and P4GH should have an entry in your Windows Installed Apps list in Control Panel

pnikkosis
06-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Well, you're evidently not reading what I post. I know where the power settings are; if you read the response I posted, it's a Windows thing that you can't set the critical battery level lower than 5%; I fixed it, as I posted before; please read.
And power4gear does not have an entry on the windows app, neither in any other application list (such as ccleaner or revo unninstaller).
I thank you for your help, but I don't think this problem can be solved by software.

Lezz
12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I ran into similar issue with my G73jw.

First thing I've noticed was a strange battery led behavior: it was blinking orange-green, windows battery meter showed about 30% and it was frozen. Though, notebook was working OK when I detached power supply.
I shut it down, removed and re-installed battery. This seemed to solve the issue. It happened about a week ago.

Today it happened again. Orange-green blinking. Windows power meter showed 100%:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4861&d=1323472744
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4862&d=1323472744

But when I detached the power supply - notebook's power lasted only for a half of a second. After reboot it showed 0%.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4863&d=1323472857

I don't know what causes such behavior, maybe it's just an oxidized dry battery contact..

4861 4862 4863

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm thinking Chastity's post #5 in this thread could be likely if you find the battery LED alternating again.

Lezz
12-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Yep, I've already read that. It looks like it was reset here:

But when I detached the power supply - notebook's power lasted only for a half of a second. After reboot it showed 0%.

Hope this won't happen again...

Lezz
12-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Well... I've just noticed the battary meter told me it's 81% and not charging. I've quickly detached and re-attached my power adapter. Now power meter looks like this:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4873&d=1323571011

I think he's right....

As one can see in my previous post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2777-G73jh-having-battery-problems&p=49487&viewfull=1#post49487), battery "full charged capacity" is quite low compared to "Designed capacity"...
Now it shows even lower value:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4874&d=1323571742.

So, it looks like I'm looking for a new battery.... Is this (http://www.asusparts.eu/index.php?cPath=67674_73347_158847_163659) the only option available, or ...?

PS. I'm sorry for the way images image are displayed....
5 MB of wide bmp files...
Forum rules here look as adequate as other asus latest stuff :

png attachments are disabled
insert image tool states png's are alowed, though, if you upload one it states it's invalid
file open dialog shows only filetype availible "All Files", but that's wrong. It should be named "all allowed filetypes", since "All Files" is commonly used for un-filtered view.
So, I had too look for a workaround, which happens too regular with asus products lately:
You may upload bmp attachment, (but not a bmp image in insert image) and use it's link in IMG tag...
Yep, in theory I could have used jpg... but i hate lossy formats where it can be lossless.
...or 3rd party image hosting,but i was just curious how asus itself would handle that....

xeromist
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes, I would probably go with that shop. There is only one type of battery but multiple vendors sell them. If you don't want to buy it there then I would search for "G73 Battery" or "G73JH battery" to see who else might sell it. You could also search for the model number printed on your battery.

Lezz
06-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I bought a new battery a month ago.

I works - i'm able to use laptop without AC supply, if it's charged.

Though, the bug is still there.

Now battery led is still blinking green/orange.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9022&d=1338759891

If i detach the battery and attach it back:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4690/bat2p.png

Next, it would be completely charged, led would be green.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8192/bat3.png

The laptop was 100% discharged several times, so, I don't think the tip (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2777-G73jh-having-battery-problems&p=49494&viewfull=1#post49494) to follow Chastity@ASUS's #5 post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2777-G73jh-having-battery-problems&p=17864&viewfull=1#post17864)

So, where's the bug?
hardware or software?
where to dig?

P.S. forum bugs are where they were half a year ago...

dstrakele
06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I'd be looking for a hardware problem in the charging system.

Does the battery or power adapter plug feel very hot?

Does the battery fit snugly in it's bay or is there wiggle room?

Lezz
06-04-2012, 01:04 AM
dstrakele,

nope, none of connectors feel hot....

And the battery fits OK....

brecker
06-04-2012, 02:05 AM
does your problem happen randomly or does it always happen after unplugging / plugging while on? if the latter, you can try running a live usb with ubuntu 12.04 on it and see if you can reproduce it (don't mind the orange light on ubuntu, it overrides that light)... if you can reproduce it on there then it is most likely a hardware issue

now, is it possible the charger is not supplying enough energy to charge the battery while the laptop is on?

dstrakele
06-04-2012, 02:30 AM
If you pick up the laptop by one corner or press on it firmly, does it cause the battery LED to flash OR stop flashing?

Lezz
06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
brecker,

unplugging / plugging fixes the issue.
Green/orange blinking starts randomly, i think... But always after using laptop on battery power.

Thanks for the idea with another OS! I'll try when it happens again.

I don't think it's the charger... My original asus charger burned out for no reason:

there's a whole album here (http://imageshack.us/g/855/260220128317d.jpg/).

My new charger is 180W, which is greater then the original. Moreover, after i reattach the battery - it's charging OK, regardless of CPU & GPU load.

dstrakele,

I've just tried everything this... No luck..
I wasn't able to detach the battery, even when I was pulling it out, it sits firmly.
Nothing happens when I shake laptop, pick it up by one corner or apply some pressure on different points...

But i agree - bad/oxidized contacts might be the reason. The bad thing is - it's not easy to clean them.

Thanks for you replies!

Lezz
06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Another thing I noticed - battery degrades very quickly.
On those screenshots I've posted couple of days ago wear level is 11%. Now it's 29%. Though, I've only discharged it a couple of times since then.

dstrakele
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I think you may have a polarity problem as outlined by @breker in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16470-quot-Touchy-quot-Power-Cable-in-my-G-53S&p=112124&viewfull=1#post112124

He has posted that such a problem would result in increased battery wear.

Lezz
06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
dstrakele,

I doubt about feasibility of a problem breker had described... I'm pretty sure laptop won't work at all with PSU polarities mixed up..

Also, battery voltage is 14.8V while PSU voltage is 19V, so there should be a DC/DC converter between them...

I've just checked PSU's connector - there's nothing like excessive heat... It has room temperature. And it fits firmly...

I've just ejected the battery and ensured laptop would ran without it. Then I slightly moved the connector - still nothing. If there would be some connection issues, laptop would shut down...

Lezz
07-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Today, windows displayed 'Consider replacing your battery' icon... It's less then half of a year old.
I rarely use my laptop on battery power... Last time was yesterday for 15 minutes. It looks like each time i use it on battery power its wear level increases ~3%.

dstrakele
07-29-2012, 06:58 PM
My ASUS G74SX-A1 came with an ASUS 1 year Battery Warranty as described in the hardcopy Warranty card included in the laptop box. I recommend checking if this is part of the Limited Warranty on your laptop, and if so, use it to your advantage.

You'll have to balance this against the possibility that @breker's diagnosis of reversed polarity in the power adapter may be correct. As he stated in the post I referenced:

"I experienced this same issue with chinese chargers once or twice a year. The plastic that surround the wires internally melt because of heat and stress, so the positive and negative charges gets mixed. You would think this sort of problem will damage your laptop. But on most cases it only damages your battery. Don't be surprised if your battery's lasting time gets reduced drastically. Its life also does."

You're pretty sure this is not what's happening. Best be absolutely sure, or you'll be burning up another battery. @breker recommends testing the power adapter:

"I would suggest you test this before sending the laptop for an rma. You can do it yourself with a tester by checking if the polarity it gaves is the correct one; or you can take the charger to an electricity repair place and let them check it. There is no need in changing the whole charger. Only the pin and maybe some damaged cable. If you need some assistance to check with a tester i can give you instructions... "

I think that is the wisest choice of action.

I also recommend checking if your outlet is properly grounded. There could be a reason your original power adapter had a premature death.

TwiSteDPaiN183
08-04-2012, 08:03 AM
i'm not sure if this will help but iv had my laptop for about 2 yrs now and i considering myself a heavy user with +2800 hrs of run time invested in gaming (according to steam) my battery discharged all the way while i was moving and was unable to charge after some time it would start having a blinking RED LED on the front so after days and days of research i isolated the problem to just the battery.

i ordered a new one off ebay that's same Mwh as the one that was installed with a minor increase on the volt .02 i believe now
after i did this my blinking led and power problems went away. i'm shocked that a battery can cause that much issues in a laptop but maybe that's why your charger burnt up. i ended up taking the battery out because i noticed the laptop was pulling more
power from the brick but of course the battery wouldn't accept any charge whatsoever.

i also was able to test my ASUS battery on another G73 and found out it caused my friends laptop to act haywire (his orginal
battery is fine still) so i ran a test and got the same results on HWiNFO64.

so i highly recommend getting a replacement battery close to original ASUS one as possible. i spent $60 on mine with free
shipping. if you want an OEM battery its gonna run you $150 ebay.

Lezz
08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your reply, TwiSteDPaiN183!

My second battery cost me ~60$ too...

Lezz
09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
I recommend checking if this is part of the Limited Warranty on your laptop, and if so, use it to your advantage.

Thanks for your suggestion, but laptop is more than a year old already. (Battery is less then a year old.)

@breker's diagnosis of reversed polarity in the power adapter may be correct.

His suggestion looks pretty unfeasible.... There's an intermediate voltage stabilizer between battery and power unit (since there voltage is different), it won't work in both polarities.

I think that is the wisest choice of action.

One of my reasons to post my screenshots here is to just keep track of battery history...

@breker recommends testing the power adapter:

Well, OK, I've just checked both adapter' polarities with my tester. They both are the same (plus inside),and so it should be, i think.

I also recommend checking if your outlet is properly grounded.

It's not grounded.... It's my bad, yep...

so i highly recommend getting a replacement battery close to original ASUS one as possible. i spent $60 on mine with free
shipping. if you want an OEM battery its gonna run you $150 ebay.

So, my first battery died after ~1 year of use, and then i bought ~60$ replacement for it, just as you did. At first, it looked lite it's degrading much faster then the original... (See #23 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2777-G73jh-having-battery-problems&p=113736&viewfull=1#post113736) & #26 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2777-G73jh-having-battery-problems&p=136148&viewfull=1#post136148))

Though, today, I've noticed there's no more 'consider to replace you battery' notification (it appeared again a couple of weeks before) - battery chip seem to be reset.
4% wear level is nice, though, discharge rate is quite high for idle CPU & GPU. It seem to be higher then it was before.

Lezz
09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
And.... after a couple of days - I've got an initial issue again - the battery LED is blinking orange.
Once I detach battery and attach it again - it starts charging, blinking stops.
It looks like it's been a circle :)

Lezz
10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I thought, I'd already seen every battery-related bug possible.
But today I ran into one more:
Discharge rate seem to be too low for G73jw: 15.015W. This gives 3.5 hours of battery time... In theory..
I've not tested this, but i doubt it'll last that long.
Discharge rate value is frozen - it's not affected by CPU used & other stuff as usual.

Battery led is blinking green/orange again.

I've just unpluged my power cord and the attached it again - notebook worked on battery for a minute.
Then I attached the power cord,and detached-attached the battery. Now battary info is as follows:

Note, its 0% charged. But it worked ok. Magic ;)

Lezz
02-21-2013, 10:36 PM
I think now my second battery is dead now too.
Notebook's lifetime on the battery power is exactly zero. Even in sleep mode notebook shuts down immediately after plugging out the power cord.

The interesting thing is - everest reports that it's OK:
The battery led is blinking green-orange continuously. Removing and re-inserting battery makes it green for a while.
Windows is not reporting that the battery is dead either.

Although, it looks like it is dead, since notebook's battery lifetime was decreasing smoothly.

It's a pity I'm unable to find my old battery to compare their behavior.

dstrakele
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
The blinking green/orange battery LED indicates a problem with the laptop charging system. It can be caused by the power adapter, motherboard, or battery and may involve their points of connection.

It sounds like the motherboard's connector to the battery may be at fault, since you report reseating the battery in the laptop will temporarily stop the battery LED flashing. You've changed out the I battery and the power adapter, so the evidence is piling up that your charging problem resides in the motherboard.

But here are some other things you can check:

1) Does the battery fit snugly in its bay or can you wiggle it around? You reported it WAS snug with your original battery.

2) Are you using the proper power adapter cable for a grounded connection to the outlet? I believe another user reported a similar charging problem and it was due to the power adapter cable not providing a grounded connection to the outlet in his country.

3) Have you confirmed the electrical outlet you're using is properly grounded?

Lezz
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi dstrakele,thanks for your answer!

The blinking green/orange battery LED indicates a problem with the laptop charging system. It can be caused by the power adapter, motherboard, or battery and may involve their points of connection.
+
You've changed out the I battery and the power adapter, so the evidence is piling up that your charging problem resides in the motherboard.

Yep, this looks feasible....

It sounds like the motherboard's connector to the battery may be at fault, since you report reseating the battery in the laptop will temporarily stop the battery LED flashing.
+
1) Does the battery fit snugly in its bay or can you wiggle it around? You reported it WAS snug with your original battery.

I don't think it's a mechanical problem. Battery fits just like the original. All contacts look OK...

2) Are you using the proper power adapter cable for a grounded connection to the outlet?
3) Have you confirmed the electrical outlet -you're using is properly grounded?

Cable is OK. I'm not completely sure about the outlet I'm using right now(never tested it). But I'm absolutely sure about second power outlet I'm using time to time. And connecting laptop to it (for 4+ hours) in a row is not fixing the bug.

I believe another user reported a similar charging problem and it was due to the power adapter cable not providing a grounded connection to the outlet in his country.

That's interesting... Don't you have a link?

PS.
Notebook shuts down immediately after power adepter is disconnected even in BIOS (i.e. in extremely low power consumption case)

dstrakele
02-24-2013, 10:45 PM
1) Here's the link to the thread I discussed in my previous post. A http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29230-Suspected-ground-loop-problems-with-Audio-G53SW

2) You could also try restoring BIOS defaults. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28392-Odd-problem-Will-not-boot-from-battery&country=&status=.

Lezz
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
dstrakele,
>> (1)
That's interesting, but those situation is quite different, IMHO....
>>(2) -
I've just tried this. Nothing changed :( .

dstrakele
02-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Too bad... Those were things that would've offered an easier solution than motherboard replacement.

Lezz
02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't care much about it - even when the battery was OK I used it with the power adapter attached 99% of time.

I don't think one must replace the whole MB - maybe, this could be solved by replacing just one tiny MOSFET somewhere, who knows. I think the best solution (for those who wants to fix this, while asus warranty is over, not me) is to go to some service center.

I was just posting this because I was unable to find anything similar in the whole web. Maybe someone with the same problems would find this and reply. Maybe someone has even fixed this somehow.

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Lezz
06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Once again, just for log: for some reason, it looks different now:

Constantly zero charge and zero charging current:

After unplaging and plugging battery again the charging current is even lower:

guttenflax
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Almost same situation here.
G73SW plugged in, charging but 0mW Charging rate and both batteries never charge.
It goes like this since a pair of weeks ago.

I tested the AC Adapter and it actually provides an output of 19,20V.

I checked the motherboard and nothing is apparently burnt in the charging circuitry.

When the laptop is on AC, the pinout voltage of the battery bay is the following:

pin 1: 0V
pin 2: 0V
pin 3: 3.3V
pin 4: 3.3V
pin 5: 3.3V
pin 6: 0V
pin 7: 0V
pin 8: 0.2V
pin 9: 0.2V

Lezz
06-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Hi, guttenflax,

your situation (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33063-G73SW-Battery-works-but-doesn-t-charge-anymore-pics-inside) looks pretty similar, yep...

Please let me know if you'll find any info about more similar cases...

Iím still not sure, whether voltages youíve provided were measured with battery attached or detached.
My pinout voltages (battery detached):
pin 1: 0V
pin 2: 0V
pin 3: 3.06V
pin 4: 3.35V
pin 5: 3.35V
pin 6: 0V
pin 7: 0V
pin 8: 1V - 0V )
pin 9: 1V - 0V (same thing)
Concerning pins 8-9: 1V immediately after unplugging the battery, decreasing to 0.2V in ~20 seconds and slowly decreasing to zero after it (~2 minutes). Though, sometimes, after I detach the battery, Iíve got 0.2V there.

I've measured all this with battery detached. Of course, voltages may change once it's attached.

guttenflax
06-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Update:

Now most suspects go on the AC adapter.
Since two days ago, if you plug it to the computer but not to the wall AC socket, it receives 14V from the notebook battery and the green led turns on!

I opened it and checked a pair of diodes inside but everything is regular apart from a general smell of overheat.

Lezz
06-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't have anything like this. For now, it's just because battery voltage is zero. But AC adapter's LED wasn't turning on when battery was only half-dead...

Though, just by the way, I've got another "phantom power" effect - my active USB hub seem to miss diodes on +5V bus.. So, some laptop LED's are on even if neither AC,nor battery is connected - only those USB hub. :)

(Of course, this is not affecting battery charging)