PDA

View Full Version : G75 major performance drop when on wifi.

Chucklay
01-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Hey there, I've run into this issue, and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I was wondering if there was a workaround or a fix.

Long story short, when I made the switch from my university's wired internet connection to my home wifi network, I end up with a severe performance drop. In terms of the gaming impact, I've seen Team Fortress 2 go from ~200 FPS to barely 60 FPS. It doesn't seem to be a ping issue either, as both networks are fairly fast. And this doesn't just happen in games either. Programs will hang, things take longer to start, my CPU usage goes up, there were horses, a man on fire, and Brick killed a guy.* I've tried updating my Atheros drivers, but they were apparently up to date. Anyone have any ideas? I can provide any additional details you might need.

*Some statements may be exaggerated slightly.

boofsterb
01-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Yeah, Brick killed a guy with a trident. It was awesome.

As for the lag why don't you try resetting the router and do a system restore on your laptop for the other issues.

Chucklay
01-12-2013, 02:21 AM
It did escalate quickly.

The problem isn't lag though. It's a performance drop. Even offline programs have issues, even though my connection's still stable and fast. I suppose if it came down to it, I could do a restore, but I'm wondering if there's anything I could do before trying that.

rewben
01-12-2013, 02:25 AM
1. make sure your laptop is plugged in to external power source;
2. make sure your power plan is set to high performance; check wifi adapters settings > power saving mode is max performance;

well, it's 1gbps ethernet vs. wifi; i doubt the user experience is the same.

ashue
01-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Hey there, I've run into this issue, and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I was wondering if there was a workaround or a fix.

Long story short, when I made the switch from my university's wired internet connection to my home wifi network, I end up with a severe performance drop. In terms of the gaming impact, I've seen Team Fortress 2 go from ~200 FPS to barely 60 FPS. It doesn't seem to be a ping issue either, as both networks are fairly fast. And this doesn't just happen in games either. Programs will hang, things take longer to start, my CPU usage goes up, there were horses, a man on fire, and Brick killed a guy.* I've tried updating my Atheros drivers, but they were apparently up to date. Anyone have any ideas? I can provide any additional details you might need.

*Some statements may be exaggerated slightly.

Hi Chucklay,

Have you checked the power management settings?
Go the device manager and go to network adapters then right click on your wireless adapter and go to properties then under the power management make sure that the first option is unchecked then go and check if issue will still occur. I also have issues before as my connection is always disconnecting and reconnecting back but after doing this then my issue was gone.

rewben
01-12-2013, 11:25 AM
@ashue, yes that too :)