PDA

View Full Version : G55VW-DH71 Windows 7 UEFI install with Windows 8 preinstall problem

mtsm
01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi,

first off all let me say that this forum is awesome. I am a long-time Apple MacBook Pro user recently converted to Asus notebooks mostly because I wanted to leave Apple for pricing reasons. Long story short, I ended up getting a G55VW-DH71 mostly because it seemed like a powerful high-quality machine.

The PC came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I bought from amazon.com, so had been hesitating to get the Windows 7 variant of the model, but the Windows 8 preinstalled hardware was cheaper. So, I decided to get rid of Windows 7. I have sucessfully installed Windows 7 in legacy BIOS mode after following various articles on this and other forums. I could actually install Windows 7 directly off of an official DVD I own, simply by deleting all boot options in the BIOS. (I am just mentioning this because many people have expressed trouble doing that from the DVD and use USB drives instead.) I also had the chance to install it from a USB key, which I build following instructions obtained from this forum.

But I am kind of put off by the fact that I do not have Windows 7 running in UEFI mode. So i tried doing this and so far I have not been successful. I followed instructions posted here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26505-Help!-I-am-an-idiot/page3 by rewben.

The problem I am getting is that while the UEFI USB stick is clearly recognized when I power on the PC and hit the Escape key, when I then select to boot off of the UEFI USB stick I invariably see a red popup window saying: "Secure Boot Violation - Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup". I have tried endless combinations but can never go beyond this message, unless of course I enable Legacy mode (CSM) in the BIOS and use unsecure booting.

I tried with the BIOS version preinstalled (214) and with the latest BIOS (217) I found on the ASUS website. I am fairly confident that the USB stick was built correctly, i.e. with the right filesystem and the right bootx64.efi file in the right place. Also made sure the SATA configuration is set AHCI.

I just don't get what is wrong. Ah yes, I should maybe add that I am not starting from a Windows 8 install, but either from a Windows 7 build in legacy BIOS mode or from a blank disk. There is some stuff on the web pertaining to GPT filesystems, but it doesn't really make sense to me yet.

Anyway, so just wanted to ask for help or similar experiences??

Thanks,
mtsm

vintagepimpage
01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Disable secure boot in BIOS?

vintagepimpage
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Ahhh... NM. I see what you're saying now reading through it again.

mtsm
01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I want to avoid that, although it works. Right now I have wiped the disk clean. I am planning to do a legacy BIOS install only if this UEFI install doesn't succeed.

rewben
01-14-2013, 01:04 AM
i am guessing the way Microsoft people thinking of implementing this secureboot (i.e. their use cases of secureboot) was rather simple: the machine is only eligible of running preloaded OS with secureboot. full stop.

from what i can see from the current implementation of secureboot, there is no plan to allow users upgrade or downgrade to different variants of their OS (w7, w8 pro) and still enjoy the 'features' of secureboot.

so, if you want to use other OS than the preloaded w8:
1. disable secure boot control;
2. enable launch csm.

looking at the rate of users getting blank screen issues after changes in boot orders, i think the fast boot in bios shall also be disabled.

(note: i am lack of evidence that disabling fast boot will help in preventing bios lockup; we need someone with machines with such options to test and prove that these are actually the right combination).

mtsm
01-14-2013, 02:39 AM
thanks for your perspective.

yeah I am going to give up for now. I wasted some more time with diskpart today, but to no avail.

The only thing that confuses me is that I thought that you had written a guide to do a UEFI install of windows 7 on a G75VW, no?
Or did that only apply to a G75VW preloaded with Windows 7?

Either way, yeah I agree it seems a bit ridiculous. Fortunately the legacy functionality works...

rewben
01-14-2013, 03:53 AM
thanks for your perspective.

yeah I am going to give up for now. I wasted some more time with diskpart today, but to no avail.

The only thing that confuses me is that I thought that you had written a guide to do a UEFI install of windows 7 on a G75VW, no?
Or did that only apply to a G75VW preloaded with Windows 7?

Either way, yeah I agree it seems a bit ridiculous. Fortunately the legacy functionality works...

yes i have written a guide to get a working uefi install, as you pointed out earlier. it's a generic guide. it should work for any uefi-aware machines, provided that all conditions for uefi install for that machine are met - has a gpt disk, uefi boot option enabled, plus the machine specific changes; so for machines like yours, you must disable secure boot control, enable launch csm, disable fast boot etc. (and that's the only way to get other OS to be installed on your machine).

edit: the reason i stated in many of my posts about DVD install might not work was because initially many reported all sorts of inconsistencies when they used DVDs. the only remedy that got rid of all possibilities of causing failed install that i could think of was to use usb and using the same source of ISO.

mtsm
01-15-2013, 03:47 AM
I don't understand what it is in this machine that makes it fail? Do you know? It sounds like everything you describe in your guide is there, though maybe it isn't...

Anyway, since I dropped this UEFI project, I am quite happy. I got Windows 7 installed in legacy BIOS mode, put Visual Studio 2010 and SQL 2012 Express on it, Microsoft Office, etc... Can now start developing. I am quite happy with the keyboard - really like the touch - and I find the screen resolution amazing.

rewben
01-15-2013, 05:21 AM
have you disabled the secure boot control, disabled fast boot and enabled launch csm? you should convert the disk to gpt, just in case.

in that generic guide that i have written, that's exactly how my usb stick for w7 install was set up; and i don't turn active flag on for that usb.

Pitcher@asus
01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
ASUS and MAC is difference, you change to ASUS laptop i think you will not accustomed to use, it is normal, you can learn and saw a lot of knoledge in ROG forum.

Belenos
01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
so, if you want to use other OS than the preloaded w8:
1. disable secure boot control;
2. enable launch csm.

looking at the rate of users getting blank screen issues after changes in boot orders, i think the fast boot in bios shall also be disabled.

(note: i am lack of evidence that disabling fast boot will help in preventing bios lockup; we need someone with machines with such options to test and prove that these are actually the right combination).

Yup... when I enable the Launch CSM mode Fast Boot is disabled automatically.
The installation seems to run as a normal Bios mode installation. But I've read that you can prove your system runs in Uefi when you open a elevated prompt in Windows and enter "bcdedit".
If the path of the Window boot loader is something like " \Windows\system32\winload.efi" then it runs in Uefi mode. Otherwise there would be written " \Windows\system32\winload.exe".

rewben
01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
nice :) any way is to check the log file C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log; look for 'Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect', the immediate line is EFI if it's a uefi install, or BIOS for bios install.

2012-12-18 22:12:18, Info IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect:FirmwareType 2.
2012-12-18 22:12:18, Info IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: EFI