PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Partition Question

Genhawk
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
If I wanted to reset my computer back to factory settings, is there a way to use this partition WITHOUT the recovery DVDs you are suppose to burn when you get the computer?

I know I can hit F9 on start up to boot from that partition but will it still work if I delete all the partitions EXCEPT the Recovery Partition? Say if I load windows on a SSD but need to RMA the laptop or something, could I just swap the hard drives and boot back to factory? Just didn't know if the recovery partition would still run when the other 3 partitions are deleted and formatted!

I know the paritions named OS and Data are not important but I wasn't to sure about "EFI System Partition" was; as when I googled it, I didn't understand a thing in the wiki!

Basically, will the recovery partition work no mater whats on the drive?

tkolarik
01-15-2013, 05:01 AM
You will need to find out which is the active, boot partition. Deleting the wrong partition and it will not boot at all. Even though it is much more time consuming, you would be better off doing a fresh install off a Windows disk and burn the 4 DVDs as a safety net.

Pitcher@asus
01-15-2013, 06:52 AM
if you do RMA to change laptop, i think your HDD still can use, you can back to restore OS.if don;t know other 3 partition, i think you will not delete.

Genhawk
01-15-2013, 07:00 AM
if you do RMA to change laptop, i think your HDD still can use, you can back to restore OS.if don;t know other 3 partition, i think you will not delete.

Sorry, I don't quite understand! Do I need to KEEP the "EFI System Partition" or can I DELETE it?

rewben
01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
@Genhawk, it's possible (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26510-restore-G75-Laptop&p=197481&viewfull=1#post197481) to run the recovery partition; but whether or not it will work in your case, i am not sure.

i suggest you clone your disk and try the method out.