PDA

View Full Version : G74SX keeps waking from sleep

eBoussard
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm having some problems with my beloved G74SX laptop. Very often, probably about 8/10 times, when I put my computer to sleep or hibernate mode, it keeps waking up. When waking up, it shows a black screen which lasts for about 10 seconds, before the computer goes back into sleep or hibernate mode. Then, once again, it restarts into a black screen. It repeats this way until I force shut down using the power key. I have had this problem since the day I bought the computer.

When the computer has woken up (from sleep or hibernate) and shows a black screen, I can abort the shutdown process by pressing a key or moving the mouse around. I then find myself in the Windows user menu (as expected when starting from sleep or hibernate). If I try to shut down (using the shut down button on the start menu) after having tried sleep and/or hibernate, the computer will restart itself from being completely shut down aswell. The only solution to this is a force shut down. However, if I directly go to shut down, without trying sleep or hibernate, the computer will always stay off.

I have tried killing processes, thinking that it was a program that kept waking the computer up, but to no success. I tried looking around in the BIOS but I found nothing that could wake it up.

I've talked to ASUS support about this and I was told to send the computer to a repair center. However, I have been clumsy enough to spill a cup of coffee on it, causing water damage which broke the Blu Ray reader. This means that if I send the computer away for repairs, their reply will most likely be that water damage caused the error, and they will not repair it. <b>This is not the case: it's been like this since I bought the computer.</b>

Therefore I ask you, ROG forums, for advice. All tips are very appreciated.

Pitcher@asus
01-16-2013, 02:25 AM
are there press mouse or kb able to display when you turn on the computer form sleep or hibernate? how is work before spill a cup of coffee?
if the same problem, you also are able to update VGA driver,BIOS, unplug DIMM to one. i suggest you send back to ASUS service center, because we don't know where is damage by water.

eBoussard
01-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mike_Lu. I got a tips from a friend to try "powercfg -lastwake" in the command prompt, which revealed that my network card (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) had permissions to both turn off and wake up my computer. This explains why my computer kept waking up and shutting down constantly, and removing this option fixed my problem.

For anyone else who's having this problem: go to device manager, right click your network card, click properties and uncheck the correct dialog boxes there.