PDA

View Full Version : SSD + SSD or SSD+HDD...?

JDS
01-16-2013, 04:59 AM
So I was wondering if there would be any problems replacing my HDD (500 GB) with a SSD of which would probably be much smaller size. This would all obviously be internal. My current SSD is 250 GB, roughly. So I guess my final question is do I need a HDD in my computer or can I replace it with a SSD and be just as good, but probably better.

I currently have:
Asus G75V
nVidia GTX 670M
i7 3630QM at 2.4Ghz
12 GB Memory
750 HDD (500 HDD + 250 SSD)

Thank you in advance!

Clintlgm
01-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Well yes you can put 2 SSD's in your notebook, some have 2 running raid 0, very fast set up. There are some threads back aways that you should check out. You really wouldn't need to spend the extra money on a 2nd SSD if you were only going to us it for storage? My set up is my 256 SSD is split OS and Program Files and Games, my 750 is also split I keep important Data files one partition and junk storage on the other. I did adjust the Partitions on the SSD the OS and files that could not be installed elsewhere got to be more than 50% so i took some space from the other half.

JDS
01-16-2013, 05:23 AM
Well I suppose I am being awfully ambitious. I recently got my computer so I am still in "honeymoon" phase trying to limit my downloads. I still have just under 200 GB left on my SSD. My problem is because I have so many games, they require a lot of downloads, therefore a lot of room on my drive. My theory was that there is a possibility that I will use, eventually, all of my SSD then have to resort to my HDD for games, which isn't quite the performance I would like...

Pitcher@asus
01-16-2013, 06:10 AM
i think it is enought for you, if you donwnload more than 200GB, ha..you will change more big HDD, but, i think you will make same type between two HDD, the performace would be better.

JwPwns
01-16-2013, 06:44 AM
hey regarding to your question, SSD + HDD would be the best bang for the buck combo, using the ssd to store os and the main games + programs you use is way more than enough, keep the ones you barely use in the hdd and save yourself few hundred, while the ssd price is dropping everyday within the next few months we should see a bigger difference in their pricing

rewben
01-17-2013, 02:14 AM
it depends on your usage. basically there are 4 combos that you can do:
1. ssd + hdd;
2. 2 x hybrid;
3. ssd + hybrid;
4. 2 x ssd

as of now, if you only compared 2 x ssd or ssd + hdd, the most cost effective you can go is ssd + hdd. ssd's strengh is speed; while hdd is all about space (cost/gb) and durability. hybrid drive combos fall between the two.

ITrucker
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
I do use SSD + HDD and it work fine as long as you use the SSD for the OS and speed demanding programs included games. The bottleneck is when you move large amount of data from the SSD to the HDD or oppersit. So if you often need to do that then is two SSDs prefered.

1st SSD (at least 120 GB) for OS & programs & games
2nd SSD (at least 240 GB) for more games and data like videos & photos.
3rd a extern HDD for global backup.

cheek
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
rocking a ssd + 1TB HDD + 1TB HDD.
the last one is in the cd disc drive.
i keep a lot of tv shows and movies. and i dont really game.