PDA

View Full Version : Hawken Tweak Guide

srmojuze
01-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi all, time for Hawken tweaking. Just got my G55 a few days ago and getting into Hawken. Please hold while I put everything down here in the next few hours. Please provide feedback, etc.

My system is G55 1920x1080 660M oc'ed to 1085mhz core, 2700mhz mem.

~What To Edit~

Today's discussion will focus on HawkenSystemSettings.ini in C:\Users\(Your Username)\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config

Of course, please make a backup, be aware of risks and issues and so on, I will not be responsible if anything goes wrong.

First part of the HawkenSystemSettings.ini where at the top you have: [SystemSettings] ... Change accordingly as below. Of course, please use common sense when editing .ini file, this is not a complete walkthrough but a discussion-style guide on what affects what. I don't know everything so let's add to this.

1. Anisotropic Filtering
MaxAnisotropy=16
I find this is a really good setting because it doesn't impact frame rates but gives you really sharp textures.

MaxMultiSamples=2
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True
This appears to turn on AntiAliasing. You will notice with MaxMultiSamples to 2, 4, 8, 16 you get some really nice AA. For example, look at the "christmas lights" strings in Prosk map. You must set the second line there to True so as to turn it on. 4 is a good number.

ShadowTexelsPerPixel=2
This is an interesting one. You can set this to 2.2, 2.5, 3 (max?) and you get really nice shadows. But when setting it to exactly 2, it seems to be faster than say 1.9 or 2.1. I think.

bAllowImageGrain=False
You can turn off film grain if you like, I think it helps.

I THINK THIS IS WHERE THE MOST DIFFERENCE IS MADE.
DepthOfField=False
AmbientOcclusion=True
Bloom=False
This is more a personal preference but it does seem to speed up frame rates. I am keeping AmbientOcclusion on, of course turning it off will increase speed more. But to me Ambient Occlusion seems to make depth, shadows and "contrast" better.

MinShadowResolution=128
MinPreShadowResolution=8
MaxShadowResolution=1024
MobileShadowTextureResolution=1120
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=1280

This one is a little tricky. MinShadowResolution should be 64 for "to be safe". But if you do number 5. above it seems you might be able to bump it up to 128. Same with MaxShadowResolution, bump it to 2048? Same for MaxWholeScene... set to 2048. I get some weird flickering though with the shadows but it seems okay after restart/ loading new map.

MaxDrawDistanceScale=1.1
This one is interesting. If you set the scale to 1.3 or so you'll see a lot of the map open up. But aesthetically 1.1 is just nice, except for maybe Prosk map where you see too much low-textured buildings in the background.

UseVsync=False
Edit: I don't think this does anything because I think Vsync is still happening somewhere.

srmojuze
01-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Screenshots:

I find I like Bloom on, gives it a nice "feel". Try setting some of the shadows from 1024 to 2048. Very nice. Also try in Nvidia Control Panel Transparency AA to Multisampling... Does help with some jaggies like wires in the map.

Plasros
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks a lot for your insight dude! I just made an account to give you my thanks :)

srmojuze
01-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks a lot for your insight dude! I just made an account to give you my thanks :)

Cheers...! :D