PDA

View Full Version : installed latest Java 7.11 update, now my video card is not detected after restarting

isurus
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
I can't install any nVidia drivers because it doesn't see the hardware. Only standard VGA adapter shows up in device manager. Didn't see anything helpful when I googled about missing/non-working video cards for Asus G75 laptop.

Help, please? I don't want to have to do a full factory reset if I don't have to. (and apparently we have to make our own discs from a downloadable utility)

oh btw, the recovery tool is not on this page under the utilities tab. http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

dparish2
01-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Can you uninstall Java reboot and see it? or uninstall it, download the chip-set, reset, then see it?

isurus
01-19-2013, 01:05 AM
I uninstalled Java and rebooted, no luck with it finding the hardware. What do you mean by chip-set? WIlling to try that.

Callmebobzilla
01-19-2013, 01:15 AM
The chip-set driver, if I understand it correctly, is actually a driver for the portion of the motherboard on which you video card is installed (the so called: north bridge and south bridge). This is different what you're used to thinking about, which are GPU drivers (also called video drivers ??) Basically, the chip-set driver tells your motherboard how to communicate with the components installed on whatever section of the motherboard the driver is intended for (i.e. north or south bridge).

Can someone else confirm that this is correct?

dparish2
01-19-2013, 01:22 AM
The chip-set driver, if I understand it correctly, is actually a driver for the portion of the motherboard on which you video card is installed (the so called: north bridge and south bridge). This is different what you're used to thinking about, which are GPU drivers (also called video drivers ??) Basically, the chip-set driver tells your motherboard how to communicate with the components installed on whatever section of the motherboard the driver is intended for (i.e. north or south bridge).

Can someone else confirm that this is correct?

Yes it should help re communicate and get the card recognized. Its on the drivers page @ asus

dstrakele
01-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Give Windows System Restore a try and restore your system to a time prior to the Java update.

Otherwise, confirm you're installing the MOBILE rather than DESKTOP version of the NVIDIA driver.

rewben
01-19-2013, 07:46 AM
@ isurus, as @dstrakele suggested, use this notebook version (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/55125).

isurus
01-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Rewben, that does not work. Thanks for trying. It doesn't see the hardware at all. I tried the chipset update and that didn't help.

At this point I need smoeone to send me restore DVDs (not bluray), or dropbox me the working ISOs so I can burn them myself. I can't get them from my laptop as it is kaput from trying discs I burned from the default AI Recovery Tool (thank you so much Asus!)

As a matter of principle, I refuse to pay Asus $50 for their recovery disc(s). People should be able to fix their own machines, and the companies shouldn't try to monetize a bad situation.

ashue
01-20-2013, 10:27 AM
I can't install any nVidia drivers because it doesn't see the hardware. Only standard VGA adapter shows up in device manager. Didn't see anything helpful when I googled about missing/non-working video cards for Asus G75 laptop.

Help, please? I don't want to have to do a full factory reset if I don't have to. (and apparently we have to make our own discs from a downloadable utility)

oh btw, the recovery tool is not on this page under the utilities tab. http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

Hi isurus,

I personally tried updating my java to 7.11 and did not encountered any issue after restarting my machine. Have you tried a system restore? Any other changes made aside from updating your java before this issue happened?

rewben
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Rewben, that does not work. Thanks for trying. It doesn't see the hardware at all. I tried the chipset update and that didn't help.

At this point I need smoeone to send me restore DVDs (not bluray), or dropbox me the working ISOs so I can burn them myself. I can't get them from my laptop as it is kaput from trying discs I burned from the default AI Recovery Tool (thank you so much Asus!)

As a matter of principle, I refuse to pay Asus $50 for their recovery disc(s). People should be able to fix their own machines, and the companies shouldn't try to monetize a bad situation.

ah.. sorry it didn't work :/

can you please tell us the windows version that your laptop is running on? w7? w8?

if all failed, you can try a more destructive path: if you haven't used system restore, like @dstrakele and @ashue suggested, you should try that first. imo java update is not the real cause of your issue here (i'm running java 7.11, too).

if all failed, you can try a more destructive path: use the windows' built-in function and start over. from asus' support page (http://www.asus.com/support/Article/000605/) for w8:

How do I recover my system to factory state in Windows 8?

Solution
- Place your mouse in the top or lower-right corner of your display, or press Windows+C shortcut. The Charms will appear. Click Settings Charm.
- Click "Change PC settins" at the bottom of your display.
- On the left side menu, click "General."
- Scroll down on the right side, and click "Get started" button underneath "Remove everything and reinstall Windows."