PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 on G74SX - crash problem (drivers ?)

DownyTif2
01-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Hi,

at Christmas, I installed Windows 8 Pro 64bits on my brand new SSD, which I of course placed in my G74Sx-A1. Everything was smooth and clean, but a week ago approx. I noticed some recuring problems.

1- Hitting shutdown in Win 8 actually restarts Win 8 like a normal reboot. Then, hitting shutdown again, everything closes, but the G74 is still powered. Nothing works except Power button for 4 secs.

2- I configured my laptop to turn off the display after 30 minutes. I use a Dell 24in screen as primary display and sometimes the G74SX screen also. Every time my display is turned off by Win, black screen. Everything is dead except the laptop power. Just like my shutdown problem above.

3- Sometimes, problem 2 occurs when sleep happens.

I fixed 1- by disabling the fast-boot option of Win 8 (thanks google search). I would like that to be a temporary patch. And since I also want to keep my sleep and "display turn off" options alive, I'm looking for a hint.

Could this be an hardware incompatibility? On the Asus G74SX support site, no drivers are available for Win 8, so I left Windows update the laptop...

Any advices or hints ?
Thanks !

wiredin
01-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I have also installed the OS on my g74, have had it up and running for the last few days and have not had this problem. nor any really, I used the factory driver disk. installed every thing but trend micro and vibe. I also am running it as a dual boot with windows 7. one thing that I have found to be a problem is that in windows 8 if you want to install a newer driver, you must remove the old one first. have had my g74 for just under a year and I have noticed that if I have my USB hard drive plugged in during boot or reboot it puts the bios into a loop, won't start until I unplug it. it does this with some dvd's also. you can find some windows 8 drivers in the g75 support section on the asus sight, just remember if you do try them uninstall the old ones first. I would recommend that you install the atk pack and the power4gear from factory cd.

dstrakele
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
1) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1436-73-shutdown-problem suggests the shutdown problem may result from a process becoming "stuck" on shutdown when an update is installed. It is recommended to run the command:

powercfg /energy

from an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on the Command Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator") and examine the resulting report:

C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html

2) In http://www.overclock.net/t/1326292/cant-shut-down-windows-8-so-frustrating, a user reported he experienced the same shutdown behavior when attempting to shutdown an Ubuntu LiveCD session, indicating a hardware problem or that the issue resides in the BIOS. He ultimately resolved the issue by restoring BIOS defaults.

I found this interesting, because a user in a different thread reported the issue resulted from software used to charge devices from the computer. This could indicate ASUS Ai Charger Plus or the "USB Charge" setting in the G74SX BIOS. I believe ASUS has stated that Ai Charger Plus is incompatible with Windows 8 and should not be installed in a FAQ on the ASUS website. I'd also suspect the "USB Charge" setting in the BIOS should be disabled.

DownyTif2
01-20-2013, 03:02 AM
ok thanks guys, I'll investigate that and report back really soon ! Appreciated !!

Pitcher@asus
01-22-2013, 06:14 AM
ASUS have not provide driver for win 8, so user must be find the driver by themself, search ROG is good way, because somebody report clean install guide in here, it is good sharing to other user.