PDA

View Full Version : G75V will not boot to hard drive after installing 'old' hard drive

kovash
01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Hello fellow ROG members,

I'm baffled at what's going on with my hard drives.

I recently bought a new computer (G75V) because my old g73jw crapped out on me. I wanted to install the 'old' hard drive from my G73 laptop in my new computer. Got everything installed, and turned everything on, and it booted from my 'old' hard drive. Shut down, turned back on, went into the bios and made the boot priority my new hard drive, then my DVD ROM. Go to boot, it loads files from my new hard drive and then it boots to my DVD ROM. Uninstalled my 'old' hard drive, and It boot fine. (From my new hard drive.)

The weird part is.... I disable the boot from my 'old' hard drive, and my computer doesn't even see my 'new' hard drive, though it loads the windows files, but the windows logo never comes up, and it wants to boot from my DVD ROM.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

ZeroBarrier
01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
You should realize you're trying to boot an HDD with a slew of wrong drivers and that it'll never work that way. Fresh install or bust, basically. If you have any files you need to get off the "old" drive before a fresh install, you'll need to load up that HDD as secondary drive and get those files off before performing an fresh install.

kovash
01-20-2013, 10:58 PM
You should realize you're trying to boot an HDD with a slew of wrong drivers and that it'll never work that way. Fresh install or bust, basically. If you have any files you need to get off the "old" drive before a fresh install, you'll need to load up that HDD as secondary drive and get those files off before performing an fresh install.

That's what I'm trying to do it get it to load as a secondary hard drive (the 'old' drive), but it wants to keep booting from the 'old' one even though I disabled the boot from it. I don't want my 'old' hard drive to be my primary drive, I want it to be my secondary, but it's not allowing me to. It almost like it doesn't see the 'new' hard drive because the 'old' one is installed.

ZeroBarrier
01-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Does the new drive already have windows installed?

kovash
01-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Does the new drive already have windows installed?
Yes, its just a laptop I ordered From new egg, i can play games, load windows, and the whole bang. I just cant boot from it when I have the other hard drive in even if the 'new' hard drive is boot priority one, and the 'old' hard drive is not a priority at all.

Pitcher@asus
01-23-2013, 03:54 AM
could you take other new hdd to plug in and remove your old hdd form old laptop, is it ok or not?

kovash
01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
could you take other new hdd to plug in and remove your old hdd form old laptop, is it ok or not?
I'm trying to use both hard drive so I can have both of them working. I'm going to try and swap the hard drives around to see maybe it's line based.

kovash
01-26-2013, 08:26 AM
I swapped the hard drive around and still nothing, it gets to the windows load screen and goes back to the boot menu. My 'Old' drive wants to take priority over start up even though its disabled. I'll just go ahead and wipe it now, Didn't want to but I'm out of hard drives.