PDA

View Full Version : Asus Xonar Phoebus Settings (BF3)

Peanut
01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I have finally received and installed my Phoebus. Now I am just waiting for my Philips X1 headphones to arrive. Until then, I will continue playing BF3 using my 2.0 speakers. I turn on Dolby Home Theater v4 and switch to Games mode. The sound is great. Its really clean. Apart from the gun shots which sound like they have an echo and kinda dull. When I turn OFF Dolby, then the gun shots sound really good but everything else then sounds crap lol! Do any of you have any recommendations how to set it "right"?

AVtemp
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I play in 2.0 headphones and this is my recommendations:
First of all disable all DTS an Xear Surround emulations.
Then go to Dolby Home theatre and leave there only "Volume Leveler" on min settings.
You may also enable equalizers if you use them.
"Surround Virtualizer" is OFF both for speakers and headphones.
"Dialog enhanser" is also OFF.
So basically i use only "Volume Leveler" and EQ for boosting low level sounds like enemies footsteps.
Other settings will destroy 3D sound stage when ON.
They`re great for use with movies,but not in games,IMHO.
You may try it by yourself on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsIPwSj6Q0
Skip all marketing crap , go to 0:37 and try it with Dolby "Surround Virtualizer" ON and OFF.
Surround Virtualizer adds depths to the sound but it also makes more difficult to pinpoint the source of sound itself.
And the second one is more vital for FPS.
There is no one setting for all,you need to find your sweet spot by yourself.
And BTW,settings may very from game to game.
So keep searching,and good luck!

Peanut
01-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. Before I go on and try it, are these settings for headphones or 2.0 or for both?

AVtemp
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
For both of them.
I have to say that all virtual 3D enhancements tecnologies from ASUS,Dolby or even Creative makes ingame sound only worse.
By design game sound engine is produsing "right" sound from the box.
And 3rd party programs can`t make it better.The only useful thing is Sound leveler end EQ.
Some people say that you also need to use 48KHz/24bit mode to get good sound in BF3.

Peanut
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for that. And yeah, you are right. It was better to localize the sound source with the Surround Virtualizer OFF! I will try it in the game now. So again, thanks for that. Do you happen to have the instruction how to "turn on" the "surround" in BF3 when using the headphones? I remember Ito have read something about having to change something with the text editor.

CSF@ROG
01-20-2013, 03:00 PM
You can set the BF3 sound options inside the game or by editing your config file named PROF_SAVE_profile (located in your "Documents/Battlefield 3" Folder). Make sure you have the following options set:

GstAudio.StereoMode 1
GstAudio.SoundSystemSize 20
GstAudio.YourSoundSystem 4

The first one enables the game engine's own surround simulation, the second one sets a 2.0 speaker environment and the third one selects "headphones" as your sound system. By the way: after pretty comprehensive tests with all kinds of sound settings around BF3 (and other games) and the Phoebus I can only support AVtemp's conclusion. Skip sound card manufacturers 3D sound simulations and rely on the game engine if it has a builtin surround option. Additionally using the sound leveler can be a clever move, just try it. Maybe you also want to use the Dolby HT 4 EQ to beef up the game sound to your likings.

Peanut
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Sorry for only getting back to you now. Finally received my headphones. When I open the PROF_SAVE_profile...file, it looks like this:

CSF@ROG
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
This is simply a problem of your editor not doing a line wrap. Do yourself a favour and consider using a good editor, e. g. Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/). Then try again.

ozzydog153
01-26-2013, 12:42 AM
been playing bf3 using 5.1 klipsch speakers and finally decided to try headphones. been using the war tapes and cinema settings for my klipsch. should i use the hifi sound seting in game for the stereo headphones? ty

asdasd
01-30-2013, 02:54 PM
@ AVtemp:
bull****... why are u posting a youtube video with binaural audio? of course this recording sounds better when listened in stereo. if you play a 5.1 or 7.1 game you should activate Xear Surround Headphone for surround sound on 2.0 speakers/headphones - this will simulate binaural audio.
to test surround sound use RightMark 3DSound positioning accuracy test
(http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rm3ds.shtml)

Cageymaru
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
@ AVtemp:
bull****... why are u posting a youtube video with binaural audio? of course this recording sounds better when listened in stereo. if you play a 5.1 or 7.1 game you should activate Xear Surround Headphone for surround sound on 2.0 speakers/headphones - this will simulate binaural audio.
to test surround sound use RightMark 3DSound positioning accuracy test
(http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rm3ds.shtml)

But the Xear surround sounds atrocious. I only would use it in an extreme worst case scenario. Or is there a way to keep it from sounding like 64 men screaming into a valley with Xear on? I gave up on Xear after a week. Most game surround sound options sounded so much better that I check to make sure Xear is off at all times. But if you know how to set it up to sound proper I'm all "ears". I would like learn to be able to use it properly.

asdasd
01-30-2013, 04:49 PM
But the Xear surround sounds atrocious. I only would use it in an extreme worst case scenario. Or is there a way to keep it from sounding like 64 men screaming into a valley with Xear on? I gave up on Xear after a week. Most game surround sound options sounded so much better that I check to make sure Xear is off at all times. But if you know how to set it up to sound proper I'm all "ears". I would like learn to be able to use it properly.

Xear Surround Headphone is like Dolby Headphone - it adds reverb. Unfortunately it is the only option to hear accurate positional cues in BF3 with stereo Headphones. An alternative is http://www.myears.net.au/homealt but it is not free and i have not tested it yet.

AVtemp
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Ok,give me exact BF3 settings (game & driver),so i can check your words.
I tried Xear Surround Headphone in Battlefield Bad Company 2 multiplayer and it sounds like the whole action was in bathroom.
It was sooo bad sounding.
Maybe i was doing something wrong?