PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Recovery. I dont know what they have done but....

FalloutBoy
01-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

As you all know ASUS didn't supply us G75VX people with AI Recovery - regardless of what the manual says. To try and protect myself I made a Windows 8 Recovery USB disk, I also replaced the 500G drive in my system with a 1TB and used Macrium Reflect to transfer the entire installed system from one drive to the other.

However my system is now unusable in the respect of the supplied edition of Windows 8.

I have tried reinstalling every which way but loose - down to the fact I downloaded windows 8 ADK created a technician machine and used the install.wim which I still had a backup of and created my own scripts for putting back the partitions and transferring the images across.

But here's the massive major RUB - ASUS has customized parts of the setup with their own scripts which by the looks of it run off drive X: ; however I have no idea what they do and the scripts aren't included in the WIM - Also WINRE was not present in the WIM and one of the ASUS created partitions on the disk had an ASUS directory with customized files in different languages as part of the system - so you cant just plonk your WIM file back and extract it after re creating the partitions - it just will not work.

Now don't get me wrong people ASUS can customize things through the Razoo for all I care - BUT !!! if they are going to do this they absolutely MUST provide software that will let you back up your system on a sector by sector basis so that you can restore your system in its entirety with these customizations intact.

I feel that not providing the AI Recovery software to build your own recovery set borders on negligence on the part of ASUS.

Your opinion please.

john_from_ohio
01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Sorry but you lost me completely and I cannot follow what problems you are having.

For windows 8 ... I would recommend using the old reliable WIndows 7 based "create a system image" and "backup" procedures.

Take a look at google results from doing a search like "use windows 7 backup utilities in windows 8" ...

FalloutBoy
01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry but you lost me completely and I cannot follow what problems you are having.

For windows 8 ... I would recommend using the old reliable WIndows 7 based "create a system image" and "backup" procedures.

Take a look at google results from doing a search like "use windows 7 backup utilities in windows 8" ...

That's all very well now john_from_ohio but those sort of backups I don't believe ( and I might be wrong ) - don't back up the GPT boot block, GPT partition table information or preform operations on a sector by sector basis which I believe is what's required here, not a volume shadow copy, file backup or something along those lines. Never mind the fact you pay a premium for these laptops and would expect them to have a premium toolset. A friend of mine purchased an MSI laptop before me and ended up with a more powerful machine, with the aforementioned tools at 1/3rd the price.
Plus according to the manual supplied with the machine the AI Recovery tool was there and it turns out its not.

Not good.

john_from_ohio
01-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Plus according to the manual supplied with the machine the AI Recovery tool was there and it turns out its not.

Not good.

If you search this forum a pretty well known fact that asus was/is late to the gate delivering the recovery utility. Not sure of exact status here now but if you search around you should be able to find relevant thread.

So what is the status of your machine now?

It sounds like you tried but failed in your attempt to use macrium ( whatever that is ) to clone the system?

Does your orginal disk still work?

Should be able to go into original disk and get Win 8 serial number ( various utilities to do that ) and then do a clean install onto any other drive right? Microsoft has downloadable images for Win 8 install iso's right?

srmojuze
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I was looking up Macrium today. Now, as I understand, one uses Macrium to backup entire C: drive to D: drive. Then, reinstall or whatever happens, then restore from Macrium C: to D: ... Does this work?

If so, what exactly are you doing different? Curious.

One also would like to ask why would you need Asus Recovery unless restoring to absolute factory state. That is, if one is happy with current state, backup entire system using Macrium... At any point in the future, restore using Macrium to get to saved state.

What am I missing? Mind you I am coming from Mac where you have file-based full backup/restore (Time Machine) as well as sector-based full backup/restore (Carbon Copy, etc.)

cosmicmango
01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I was looking up Macrium today. Now, as I understand, one uses Macrium to backup entire C: drive to D: drive. Then, reinstall or whatever happens, then restore from Macrium C: to D: ... Does this work?

If so, what exactly are you doing different? Curious.

One also would like to ask why would you need Asus Recovery unless restoring to absolute factory state. That is, if one is happy with current state, backup entire system using Macrium... At any point in the future, restore using Macrium to get to saved state.

What am I missing? Mind you I am coming from Mac where you have file-based full backup/restore (Time Machine) as well as sector-based full backup/restore (Carbon Copy, etc.)

Here are a few youtube videos for Macrium Reflect that will explain the program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cRq5SuFpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rkSX5OzI-TA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWM79HCzdDA

To download the free version of Macrium Reflect, click on the link below - scroll down to the bottom of the page click on the download button.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

FalloutBoy
01-22-2013, 04:46 AM
Should be able to go into original disk and get Win 8 serial number ( various utilities to do that ) and then do a clean install onto any other drive right? Microsoft has downloadable images for Win 8 install iso's right?

I've got the Win 8 serial number, the very first thing I did was write it down on a piece of paper and tuck it inside the notebook warranty manual.

I didn't know that Microsoft was in general offering downloads of the ISO images associated with Windows - I thought with their sale that they were offering until Jan 31st that you could download an upgrade version of pro.

In the forum's here the information is actually quite sketchy about AI Recovery, in one set of posts it says it doesn't understand the confusion related to AI Recovery - here's how to use it, In another post I read there are problems with 1TB drives that ASUS has to fix before it's released, in yet another that it will never be released because ASUS now wants you to pay for physical media from their shop, and in yet another that now you have this Windows 8 restore to previous state thing that ASUS doesn't see the need for it.

My question related to all of these is which one or more of them is right?

The first thing I attempt these days when I get a new Laptop is a rescue and recovery, to some this may seem nuts, but my last machine a Toshiba Qosmio X500 had the rescue and recovery on disk much as this one does, The rescue setup on the Qosmio took 8 hours to run, it turned out it took this long because it was buggy and left you machine in an unusable state, I.E formatted HDs and copied nothing back on.

I want to know if this stuff works now rather than later when the policy becomes there is no recovery media and if you've got a major issue your laptop is a doorstop.

Hopes this makes a little more sense now.

srmojuze
01-22-2013, 04:59 AM
But this is what I don't understand. As long as you can download a Win8 iso you can use the key at the bottom of your laptop. As long as you can download drivers from Asus, then also everything should be fine. Maybe my thinking is too simplistic here, like I said I've only recently come "back" to PC.

I understand AI Recovery is important but if anything if I had a lot of time I'd try to start as "clean slate" with Windows 8 as possible, like in Android with a lot of carrier software removed.

That say pre-installed my G55 is impressive, I see so much nonsense bloatware and crippleware in the mainstream PC laptops. So much so you try it out at the store and it's already crashing.

srmojuze
01-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Here are a few youtube videos for Macrium Reflect that will explain the program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cRq5SuFpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rkSX5OzI-TA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWM79HCzdDA

To download the free version of Macrium Reflect, click on the link below - scroll down to the bottom of the page click on the download button.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Cheers, will check it out further when I have time.

rewben
01-22-2013, 08:11 AM
@FalloutBoy, the actual time line is like this:

1. g55/75vw with w7 preloaded - we have a working ai recovery.
2. g55/75vw with w8 preloaded - transition time (from w7 to w8); the starting point of ai recovery being phased out; ai recovery was replaced by windows' built-in backup/restore and related functions in 'change pc settings > general';
3. g46vw/g75vx with w8 preloaded - ai recovery is replaced by windows' built-in backup/restore and related functions in 'change pc settings > general'.

the help thread about ai recovery started at the early stage of g55/75vw with w7 preloaded.

then when g55/g75vw with w8 preloaded was released, that's when we had a lot of threads regarding 'downgrading to 7', and we found out the cloning software like Macrium Reflect that can clone GPT disks. the complaint about restore media is not new. i think it started in stage 2 above.

i hope this can help to clear up your confusion a bit.

I want to know if this stuff works now rather than later when the policy becomes there is no recovery media and if you've got a major issue your laptop is a doorstop.

i am not sure where we will go from here (i have read about ai recovery coming back but i don't think it's any time soon, so let's just forget about it); but please bear in mind that without recovery media, things can still be fine, too:
1. you can do a fresh install;
2. you can use windows' backup/restore;
3. you can use third party software to clone a backup.

FalloutBoy
01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Just for reference I have found that it is not possible to use the Windows 8 ISO from the cheap upgrade to pro offer, why? because the laptop initially has home on it and when you try to install pro ( admittedly from a disk doctored for UEFI and not an OEM pro ) it complains during the install process that the serial number burnt into bios does not match the product being installed. This is with or without secure boot being installed I found the only way to do it was to fake an upgrade.

srmojuze
01-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Just for reference I have found that it is not possible to use the Windows 8 ISO from the cheap upgrade to pro offer, why? because the laptop initially has home on it and when you try to install pro ( admittedly from a disk doctored for UEFI and not an OEM pro ) it complains during the install process that the serial number burnt into bios does not match the product being installed. This is with or without secure boot being installed I found the only way to do it was to fake an upgrade.

Hi all, this is possible. I purchased Windows 8 Pro for $39.95. Then downloaded installer to USB. Installed from USB ~ you need to put in the new product key in PID.txt. Voila. Fresh install.

rewben
01-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Hi all, this is possible. I purchased Windows 8 Pro for $39.95. Then downloaded installer to USB. Installed from USB ~ you need to put in the new product key in PID.txt. Voila. Fresh install.

nice find :) (i found the reference here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx)). do you need to use the registry workaround to activate your copy?

srmojuze
01-28-2013, 12:07 PM
nice find :) (i found the reference here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx)). do you need to use the registry workaround to activate your copy?

Nope, just the PID text file thingy. Windows 8 Pro buzzing along here like a charm, fresh and clean like a baby's bottom (well, when it is cleaned). :)

Bitlocker activated on C drive and D drive for extra, well, peace of mind, I guess.

rewben
01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Nope, just the PID text file thingy. Windows 8 Pro buzzing along here like a charm, fresh and clean like a baby's bottom (well, when it is cleaned). :)

Bitlocker activated on C drive and D drive for extra, well, peace of mind, I guess.

oh sweet; i choose to back up my activation tokens; i just restore that instead after each fresh install (well, as long as i don't change my hardware much)

juklik
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
do you think it is possible to get PID from default Win 8 installation that is delivered with notebook and use it with clean Win 8 installation (downloaded). how to extract this PID?

rewben
01-28-2013, 02:06 PM
@juklik, use keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/).

juklik
01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
thanks, do you have a link for clean installation media of Win 8 maybe?

rewben
01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
do you have w7/xp?

srmojuze
01-29-2013, 02:37 AM
thanks, do you have a link for clean installation media of Win 8 maybe?

Try this thread:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2023039

Try this link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

You may be able to use your current Windows 8 OEM key, or it may force you to install Windows 7 first.

This is the method I used with my new Windows 8 Pro key I purchased.

Good luck...!