PDA

View Full Version : Ready for a clean slate

TeKn1kaL_Jargon
01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
I've had my G53JW since 2010 and with the exception of being bulky & the power port being on the rt. side instead of left, it's a decent laptop. But what I would like to do is start from scratch and this time clean up all the pre-installed programs and 30 day games to free up more on the OS drive. I made the 5 disc backup copy when I first got it but wanted to know if this is the best way to go. I an not too impressed with Win 7 either esp. the library system but wasn't sure if I would mess everything up by downgrading to WIn XP SP3 since I do have an OEM disc.

So my question would be, what would be the best way of going about starting clean, uninstalling unnecessary programs and making sure I don't uninstall the factory install partition and/or something that messes up the backlit keyboard?

Thanks

xeromist
01-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Overwriting the restore partition would not mess up the backlight as that is part of the ATK package freely available for download on the ASUS website. If you want to keep it for general restore that's fine but I just wanted to clarify that.

So you could do a completely fresh installation of Windows (with the key on the bottom of the machine) and install all of the drivers from there which would be about as pristine as you could get.

As for installing XP, I wouldn't. I'm not sure if there is complete driver support and you'll find that it will limit your options for gaming.

TeKn1kaL_Jargon
01-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks Xeromist for responding back. So what would be the best steps to take to do this without error? I am assuming in that 5 disc backup has the OEM of the OS so is it pretty painless to do it that way? or should I seek out an OEM Win 7 disc and just dl my drivers? Either way I would like to keep the partition but just don't want the useless bloatware.

xeromist
01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, I started with a brand new drive on my machine and didn't want the restore partition so it was very simple. If you want to keep things close to stock but just not have certain software bits then you are probably better off restoring from discs and just selectively removing the things you don't like.

Gorman
01-25-2013, 05:53 AM
I'd just download a W7 ISO and rebuild from there.

I usually rebuild a few times a year, it usually takes me about an hour to go from nothing to a usable system (by usable I mean, with games installed and ready to play ;)

Steam and Dropbox really help.