PDA

View Full Version : G74jh windows 8 issues. Slowly closing in on a decent os. Problems..

hoagtech
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Howdy gents. I am hoagtech and this is my first post in this forum.

I recently upgraded to windows 8 pro and at first nothing worked until I figured out how to update the bios and properly load the beta drivers. Then my laptop started to have a Grey Screen with Vertical lines until I updated the Vbios. Well thankfully that worked and I have not had a crash but my games seem to be slowing down compared to when I was running them on windows 7 and think it because my "Turbo Boost" is not turned on in windows 8 and ear is nothing I can do to make it work.

So hear are my questions: How do I get the turbo boost or twin turbo mode to work on windows 8?

And why does my laptop crash when I close the lid on windows 8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - hoagtech

hoagtech
01-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Still nothing? I need help especially with my g74 freezing everytime I close the lid. Please help people... :eek:

hoagtech
01-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Cmon asus people. Help a dude out.. still need help

dstrakele
01-21-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking you have a G73JH. If I were in your situation, I would choose to reinstall Windows 8, bringing nothing from the original installation. I would then install the most recent Intel Chipset driver version from the Intel website, the ASUS ATK Package for your laptop from the ASUS website, the 13. 1 WHQL AMD video driver from the AMD website, the latest Realtek audio driver from the Realtek website, and the latest Ethernet and WiFi drivers for whatever network adapters are installed on your system. I'd probably stop there and accept whatever drivers Windows 8 installed for the remaining devices.

I'm thinking the clean Windows 8 install with the latest AMD video driver will bring up the gaming performance on your laptop. I'd stick with the default Windows Defender and Firewall to eliminate compatibility issues with Security software. This may help to resolve your Sleep/Hibernate issue.

With the exception of the ASUS ATK Package, I would AVOID installing ANY ASUS software. Keep your installation as lean as possible, resisting installation of new software until your research indicates it runs well on Windows 8.

I also recommend researching what other G73JH owners have done to get Windows 8 running smoothly on their systems. Check out these Google hits: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&site=&source=hp&q=windows+8+on+asus+g73jh&oq=Windows+8+on+Asus+G73&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0l3j0i22.2328727.2361532.0.2368129.26.15.3. 8.11.0.241.2236.0j14j1.15.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.1._A B1bHZwzso.

Consider purchasing Windows 8 compatible software that can backup a disk image of your Windows 8 installation. Use it to create a disk image of your initial installation, then make backups as you install new drivers and applications. If you encounter stability issues, you can then restore your last stable disk image.

hoagtech
01-22-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm thinking you have a G73JH. If I were in your situation, I would choose to reinstall Windows 8, bringing nothing from the original installation. I would then install the most recent Intel Chipset driver version from the Intel website, the ASUS ATK Package for your laptop from the ASUS website, the 13. 1 WHQL AMD video driver from the AMD website, the latest Realtek audio driver from the Realtek website, and the latest Ethernet and WiFi drivers for whatever network adapters are installed on your system. I'd probably stop there and accept whatever drivers Windows 8 installed for the remaining devices.

I'm thinking the clean Windows 8 install with the latest AMD video driver will bring up the gaming performance on your laptop. I'd stick with the default Windows Defender and Firewall to eliminate compatibility issues with Security software. This may help to resolve your Sleep/Hibernate issue.

With the exception of the ASUS ATK Package, I would AVOID installing ANY ASUS software. Keep your installation as lean as possible, resisting installation of new software until your research indicates it runs well on Windows 8.

I also recommend researching what other G73JH owners have done to get Windows 8 running smoothly on their systems. Check out these Google hits: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&site=&source=hp&q=windows+8+on+asus+g73jh&oq=Windows+8+on+Asus+G73&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0l3j0i22.2328727.2361532.0.2368129.26.15.3. 8.11.0.241.2236.0j14j1.15.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.1._A B1bHZwzso.

Consider purchasing Windows 8 compatible software that can backup a disk image of your Windows 8 installation. Use it to create a disk image of your initial installation, then make backups as you install new drivers and applications. If you encounter stability issues, you can then restore your last stable disk image.

I did everything you reccomended other than the windows defender and firewall. I have uninstalled all security software and disabled windows defender and firewall from my services. Are you telling me if I enabled them I would be able to close my lid again without powering off? or should I try uninstalling and reinstalling my ATK package? thanks for the reply ive seen that dog avatar on these forums and I respect your advice

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 04:34 AM
I'm suggesting you forget your current Windows 8 installation. I'm not recommending you modify it in any way. My recommendation is to start over with a new, clean Installation that is nothing but Windows 8. Once you have that, see if you can reproduce your crash on Sleep/Hibernate.

Windows 8 has Windows Defender installed by default. Leave it and the Windows Firewall enabled. You need some Security software on your system. The Windows 8 defaults will be the least intrusive. Once you can confirm your current issues are resolved, you can then try Security software of your choice.

If your clean Windows 8 installation has no problems with Sleep/Hibernate, you can backup a disk image and move on to installing the ASUS ATK Package and the most recent drivers I discussed. Once that is done, test Sleep /Hibernate again. If all is well, backup a 2nd disk image, then install a game and test performance. If there is no problem with Sleep /Hibernate, and no performance issues, backup a 3rd disk image.

I don't see other G73JH owners reporting Sleep/Hibernate issues, so I don't believe it is a systemic problem, but rather a problem with your current installation. My recommendation is to establish a firm foundation of Windows 8, with nothing else installed and that has no issues, before you complicate matters by installing other software.

If you'd rather not start over from scratch, I'd probably just recommend deleting and recreating HIBERFIL.SYS, by disabling and then enabling Hibernation in an effort to resolve your crash on Sleep/Hibernate.

hoagtech
01-22-2013, 04:40 AM
I did everything you reccomended other than the windows defender and firewall. I have uninstalled all security software and disabled windows defender and firewall from my services. Are you telling me if I enabled them I would be able to close my lid again without powering off? or should I try uninstalling and reinstalling my ATK package? thanks for the reply ive seen that dog avatar on these forums and I respect your advice

How do I reinstall windows 8 if it was the "Upgrade" edition.

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 05:02 AM
I Cut & Pasted your question into a Google Search box and got http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm

I think your current Windows 8 installation will qualify as an installation to 'upgrade' and "Keep Nothing". If not, you may need to clean install Windows 7 first or perform an F9 ASUS Factory Recovery. The key is to "Keep Nothing" when you perform the Windows 8 upgrade.

hoagtech
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I Cut & Pasted your question into a Google Search box and got http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm

I think your current Windows 8 installation will qualify as an installation to 'upgrade' and "Keep Nothing". If not, you may need to clean install Windows 7 first or perform an F9 ASUS Factory Recovery. The key is to "Keep Nothing" when you perform the Windows 8 upgrade.

I saw that too. I already bought the upgrade and that site requires you to purchase it. I am confused and could find little about RE-Installing windows 8 upgrade. Even when I google reinstall I just get install instructions

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Can you choose a "Custom Instal" when you run your Windows 8 media? Do you then get the option to keep "Nothing"?