PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX-BBR1 not getting results most people get.

iMaX
01-21-2013, 11:47 PM
I am not getting the performance other people are getting on Battlefield 3. Many people play BF3 just fine on Ultra. I don't get anywhere near there FPS. I only 20-30 FPS. I have tried gamebooster, it does help with a little preformance,but I still don't get the results other people. Can anyone help me?

Specifications:
3rd Generation I7 2670QM(8 cores) 2.20 GHz
Nvidia Geforce 560m 2/3 GB
8 GB of RAM

hoagtech
01-22-2013, 02:00 AM
YA battlefield 3 is still considered modern becuase of their high polygon count and abundance of shaders. THese laptops came out before skyrim did. if you do a youtube search you find similar complaints about BF3 perfermance with your model. The best thing you can do is either tolerate mid settings or choose your favorite settings to put on high like vegetation and draw distance or lower shadows and ambient lighting (thinking far cry 3.

Also try updating your bios and video bios (vbios) "google: update bios g74sx" and "update vbios g74sx"

this may help the shader load but your working with an almost three year old laptop you will have to accept the fact that it is no longer bleeding edge.

I would also go into the tweeks section of your gamebooster and disable everything.

You can also go into your Nvidia control panel and turn your "3d settings" to "performance" instead of "quality" and uncheck the box that says "application controlled" under your "aliasing" tab and turn it to X1. This should give you a decent boost. Your laptop is still way better than modern day expensive non-gaming laptops but not as good as a gaming desktop.

-hoagtech -g73jh

Pitcher@asus
01-22-2013, 07:10 AM
so what result for people want to get?

iMaX
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
What I saw with different models with same specs. They had better performance. So how would overclocking getting more RAM do?

I paid 1800 dollars and I get bad model.

iMaX
01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Is there anyway I get improve performance?

iMaX
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
bump s

iMaX
01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Please respond. I spent 1800 on this.

cdepaola
01-24-2013, 09:47 PM
You paid $1800 for a Best Buy model and its a G74?

iMaX
01-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes, Its eaither 1600-1800.

ThatsBS
01-26-2013, 12:04 AM
so what result for people want to get?

Does the turbo boost effect the FPS? As the CPU throttling issue on the G74sx is still massive, as I still have this problem in League of legends. I would like a constant frame rate that doesn't randomly go down when you would least expect it to. Does anyone know when Asus will release the new Bios to fix this?? Apparently it is coming, but unsure when. Would love to get this throttling issue fixed. I have two 8gb corsair ram sticks at 1600mhz to put in as well after this bios fix of course, as apparently the fix will give the laptop RAM the ability to run at 1600mhz without any blue screens. Can anyone from Asus enlighten us if this new bios will be realeased this year?? many thanks

iMaX
01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I have the throtttling issue with gta iv. Game booster 3 helps a lot

ThatsBS
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Just want to know if there is going to be a bios fix to this. I dont think we should have to resort to home made programs as this is a very common issue. Does the g75 have this issue? If I upgrade the cpu to a 2720qm would it make a difference? Anyways just venting a little as it starts to get annoying.

MrRuckus
01-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Just want to know if there is going to be a bios fix to this. I dont think we should have to resort to home made programs as this is a very common issue. Does the g75 have this issue? If I upgrade the cpu to a 2720qm would it make a difference? Anyways just venting a little as it starts to get annoying.

Updating the CPU or Bios would have no effect as I believe the problem comes from load on the CPU and GPU. i7 chips are designed to throttle under heavy usage and high temps to keep them within spec. The only way to get around this would be to run a 3rd party program like throttlestop or the one listed in the other post. I dont know of any BIOS in the works that is going to disable the throttling in the Intel chips. It's just something we have to live with and the only work around is a 3rd party program like throttlestop.

throttlestop does a very good job and will eliminate the throttling. I have it run on Startup and it works in all games where that use to be an issue. One of the big throttling problems for me was GTA4, but throttlestop resolved that.

However Im not sure its going to allow you to run at Ultra settings in BF3. Ultra settings on this laptop does not run at a fluid enough FPS for me, so I had to bump the settings down some to make it playable to my liking.

EDIT: Please also be advised I have some Corsair Dominator 8GB sticks in this laptop and have ran them at 1600Mhz without issue. I havent recieved any bluescreens from running them?

iMaX
01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Other models on the G74SX had a solid FPS rate on Ultra in BF3. So I have no idea why my model (which should have the same specs with other models) has trouble with Battlefield 3.

Slovedon
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
First of all, I can't find anything on a G74SX-BBR1 model online. Are you thinking of the BBK7 or BBK8 model?

Secondly, the G74SX uses a 560M graphics card. A search on notebookcheck.com shows that the 560M can NOT play Battlefield 3 on ultra settings. I don't know where you saw that it could, but this is false. According to the average benchmarks reported on notebookcheck, your 560M can only get 20 frames per second on ultra settings. You will have to bump it down to "high" settings to get a playable frame rate.

iMaX
01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
My proof is youtube and I am 100% sure that it is BBR1.

indianacarnie
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
I can find no reference to a "bbr1" period. Can you post a link to some instance of it? Even Asus hasn't heard of it, at least according to its website. Irregardless, if its a 560M card you'll get what others have said.

Boosted_R
01-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Try adding Throttle Stop, it may help...... but the Best Buy Models are 128bit GPU 2GB, while mine and other G74 models are 192bit 3GB GPU....... this will have an affect on your performance...... BTW $1800 is way overpriced for a best buy version, unless you don't live in North America

Don't hold your breath on a BIOS update, ASUS mobile support is extremely lacking.

Slovedon
02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Please link to a YouTube video showing the results you want. And you are mistaken on the bbr1 labeling, unless you can provide a link to that.

ThatsBS
02-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Updating the CPU or Bios would have no effect as I believe the problem comes from load on the CPU and GPU. i7 chips are designed to throttle under heavy usage and high temps to keep them within spec. The only way to get around this would be to run a 3rd party program like throttlestop or the one listed in the other post. I dont know of any BIOS in the works that is going to disable the throttling in the Intel chips. It's just something we have to live with and the only work around is a 3rd party program like throttlestop.

throttlestop does a very good job and will eliminate the throttling. I have it run on Startup and it works in all games where that use to be an issue. One of the big throttling problems for me was GTA4, but throttlestop resolved that.

However Im not sure its going to allow you to run at Ultra settings in BF3. Ultra settings on this laptop does not run at a fluid enough FPS for me, so I had to bump the settings down some to make it playable to my liking.

EDIT: Please also be advised I have some Corsair Dominator 8GB sticks in this laptop and have ran them at 1600Mhz without issue. I havent recieved any bluescreens from running them?

Is that with a 2630qm cpu though?? On the intel site it says that it does not support the ramm at 1600nhz with this cou.

Boosted_R
02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Is that with a 2630qm cpu though?? On the intel site it says that it does not support the ramm at 1600nhz with this cou.

1600Mhz is supported BTW, its been done reliable, 1866Mhz on the other hand is a hit or miss.....

iMaX
02-11-2013, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VSZN7x694

iMaX
02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I think may of been 1600 or 1500.

iMaX
02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
bumping this thread!

ThatsBS
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VSZN7x694

So a g74sx with a 3610 I7 cpu? oh and a gtx 660m?? Sry, I dunno if those comments we needed on YT..

iMaX
03-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I am heavily mistaken I thought it was the BBR1 when I checked it. It is actually a BBK11.