PDA

View Full Version : G74 Peeked at 96C CPU During Gameplay

clinthill98
01-22-2013, 03:46 AM
So i've been watching my temperatures lately and noticed my CPU peeked 96C (While playing I stay in high 80's or low 90's both my CPU and GPU) Should I be worried, and who do I pay to repaste it, will Asus do it? The laptop is one year old.

Thanks, Clint

rewben
01-22-2013, 05:44 AM
ok it's high. you might wanna start to do some cleaning up of your vents and fans first. normally those areas are direct causes to the ineffective heat dissemination, hence high temperature.

if you're still covered by warranty, yes you should ask for help from asus service center near you. if not, you can do it yourself if you are ok with that, or pay someone to do that.

the service center might even allow you to pick what thermal compound that you wanna use :) (that means you buy your own thermal compound and they can help you apply it)

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Like @rewben says, start by blowing out your fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas as a weekly maintenance routine to prevent dust buildup. See what that does for your CPU temperatures.

Who knows? You could have a big ol' wad of cat hair stuck in there...

Thermal paste does become less effective over time, particularly on stressed gaming rigs. It's not unusual for a repaste to be necessary to maintain normal temperaturesq after 1.5-2 years of use.

Pitcher@asus
01-23-2013, 04:09 AM
if tem still high after clean cooling system, please take bake asus service center to check.

clinthill98
01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Wow that was the trick guys. Now my temps after a heavy game session are 30-25C cooler. My GPU never gets over 60C now and my CPU never exceeds 70C. I think my GPU is back to normal range. If I recall I always managed about this level of temperature since i've had my computer. Thanks alot its amazing what a little can of air can do. It really works and i'm sure all that heat is not good for the system so im sure that even saved me a earlier repaste.