PDA

View Full Version : G75VX WITH ATI 7970M, any opinions?

Drqaisar411
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello guys, my first post on this forum after being accepted. I tried to search a lot on this forum but wasn't able to find any commnets/opinions for the G75vx model with ATI 7970M GPU. Everyone here is just speaking about G75vx with nvidia 675MX.
I am interested in buying the model G75vx-t4106h, but due to some reason it is not listed on the ASUS global website. I would really appreciate feedback from the guys who are using ATI 7970M. Personally i have bad experiences with nvidia, 3 of my previous laptops' GPU got burnt probably due to over heating (HP, Sony, ASUS-barebone). This time i dont want to take risk and want to give ATI a try. Also would like to ask if it will be possible to watch/play 3d via this laptop on a 3DTV.
Thanks for all the replies. Peace :)

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I've had 2 ATI gpu cards and they have both failed me. Maybe your gpu got dusty and it cooked :(

I never seen G75VX laptops with ATI cards so I wouldn't have a clue where to get one.

Tomislav
01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
For the last part of your question according to the specs http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/7000m/7900m/Pages/radeon-7900m-series.aspx#2 you will be able to play/watch 3D content on a 3D TV and/or monitor, that is if you have the 3D glasses. Though nVidia 3D tech is better than ATI's.As for the first part ,if overheating is what you are worried about just go with nVidia. ASUS G75 cooling is its best feature. Funny thing I had bad experiences with ATI that's why I switched to nVidia.

ashue
01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Not sure if asus is planning to release g series machines with ati gpu's in the future as nvidia is working pretty well as far as i know. If you are keen on getting a machine with ati gpu then you can go with other brands or maybe build a desktop. G75 series was a blast and the cooling is great like @Tomislav said on his post. Personally I also had a bad experience with ati gpu and it totally screwed my first desktop as it went dead before my machine became 2 years old and I did not even played any games at allas it was only used for thesis stuffs and internet things. Too bad.

srmojuze
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I would have to say that Nvidia Kepler is some very interesting technology. Would be a shame if you missed out on it. I'm liking my 660M in my G55, brings back good memories of the 8600GT days (except for the MacBook Pro issues, but I'm talking desktop cards)... I think there will always be possibilities of notebook GPUs giving issues but I'm happy with Nvidia for now, particularly Kepler. Also because I want PhysX, Cuda for folding, etc.

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I think you'll be extremely happy if you get the G75VX. It has really good cooling and you won't ever have to worry about anything overheating.

Drqaisar411
01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Well it exists, here in Finland i have a choice to buy either g75vx with 7970m or 670mx at a similar price of 1400euros. Mostly i will do load of hd video editing, and occasional gaming. I would also like to hookup my lappy via HDMI to samsung 3DTV. So now i am waiting for you guys to please share your experiences. I have actually ordered both of them, one of them will go back unopened, the question is which one? :) I read good review about Kepler architecture 28 nm low power consupmtion and low heat generation. Is there a difference in playing games with nvidia and ati, there is a video showing lot of details missing when playing games on ati eg fog/smoke/leaves :) Also nvidia advertise Optimus but infact it isn't supported on G75 (according to their website) ?? And what is all about bad ASUS warranty, everyone here is screaming about it. Cheers. Peace!

gokica
01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Can you please post a link to the VX with 7970 onboard?
Thank.

Tomislav
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
If you are going to do HD video it would be nice to have CUDA tech. that comes with nVidia. it will not make your rendering faster but it will make the previews load a lot quicker. Also, I have a G75vx with the 670mx card and it is awesome. Stays cool ,works fine. I've seen some benchmark for the 7970m and it is faster and scores more than 670mx (actually it is prety close to 680) but do check the features of the nVidia. Kepler hassome awesome features... in the end it is up to you.

Drqaisar411
01-22-2013, 06:55 PM
http://www.netanttila.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1444&productId=957885&shopId=19651&compartmentId=3178414&categoryId=3178415&catalogId=1444&ddkey=ProductDisplay

The link is in finnish, but you will be able to see the GPU mentioned. And yes this is not a scam website, this is one of the most popular websites here in Finland :)

Tomislav
01-22-2013, 07:25 PM
same as mine but with AMD card. and itis cheaper in Finland, wich is kinda amazing 'cause Finish sandard is waaaay higher than in my country (Croatia). Why don't you get one with a cheaper card (G670mx) and an SSD?

Drqaisar411
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Only one model available to purchase. Going to buy ocz vertex 4 256gb separately :)

Drqaisar411
01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
So how is your experience with this big toy? :) I know the good parts, more interested in the bad ones :)

DeltaActual
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Asus G73 came with ATI 5870 and it was a nightmare for most of us with GSOD's. I wonder what will happen this time.... 7970 is a great card, and if you are a gamer - it's way better that 670MX. I would love to get one for myself, if there is no problems like in the past (knowing Asus, i find it hard to believe) Keep us posted please. Cheers

gokica
01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.netanttila.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1444&productId=957885&shopId=19651&compartmentId=3178414&categoryId=3178415&catalogId=1444&ddkey=ProductDisplay

The link is in finnish, but you will be able to see the GPU mentioned. And yes this is not a scam website, this is one of the most popular websites here in Finland :)

I am not doubting your opinion about the website but I think that they made a mistake.

1. 7970 can not be had in a 1400 euros laptop.
2. ASUS does not support a VX with 7970. No drivers on the official website and this is a must. ASUS does not sell AMD graphic cards in their high end laptops at the moment I believe.
3. If you search for the same model on the net (G75vx-t4106h) you will see that each store sells it with 670MX.

I am sure that the online store made a mistake unless they built in a custom MXM board themselves which I doubt judging by the price. It should come with larger power adapter and different cooling. For that price it sounds impossible. Before you make the decision make sure that 7970 is what they are really selling in the laptop.

Tomislav
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
So how is your experience with this big toy? :) I know the good parts, more interested in the bad ones :)
bad parts? huh, there aren't many. well it's heavy and batery life isn't great, but those things are not important to me. I would love to have a different screen on it, like with an ips panel but this is not needed for a gaming notebook so that is just me. It would be nice to have some dedicated multimedia keys and/or maybe a few programable ones (like for macros and stuff). And yes the only thing that is a bit let say "a design flaw" is that the sub woofer is on the left side. It would be better if it was somewhere in the midlle but that is really a minor thing. btw are you sure about that ocz ssd? I've heard that a lot of people had problems with them?

Drqaisar411
01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Ofcourse i will first make it confirm that the gpu in question is 7970M if i will keep the ati-one. Not a gamer but would like to have a better card just to "future proof" myself for the next 4-5 years, i don't play anyway high graphics 3D games , they give me headahes and bad nausea. :) I would work though a lot with 1080p videos and batch processing of big RAW images. So I think any of this 7970M (if it really is) or 670MX will be enough for me. Any comments? I mostly play car racing games, fighting games eg street fighet x tekken :) They remind me of childhood memories :p. It might be overkill to get a gamer laptop but then i wouldn't have to upgrade it every 2-3 years, i never played any system heavy games but i rarely switch off my PC maybe 1-2 times in a week :)
About SSD intel ones are rather expensive ones, but they are the best. Have no experience of Samsung SSD, i think they are rather new in this category, am I right? Then there are Kingston, but the speeds are slower compared to OCZ vertex 4(i read the read/write speed of this SSD increase a lot after firmware updates, perhaps the new ones are comming with latest updates).

srmojuze
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi dude Googling G75VX-T4106H shows it has 670MX... This is Nvidia Kepler AFAIK so you're not going to get anymore future-proof unless you go for 680M or 680M SLI. As for SSD I had an OCZ Agility and it was good, I think OCZ Vertex 4 is very nice.

Tomislav
01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
well based on the work you are going to do on your pc ( and I do pretty much the same stuff+ graphic design and some 3D) it is better to have nVidia (though gaming computers use different GPUs(GeForce) than workstations(Quadro), but even gaming GPUs (nVidias) do have the CUDA technology). Also your workflow will be a lot smoother inside aplications (well I'm focusing on the Adobe aps, if you are using Sony Vegas or something else I'm not sure if those software include GPU improvment). Furthermore get as much ram you can afford, explore options of making RAM disks. SSD will be great for everything. And that is it. That is basicly what you need. Don't bother your self with is there an ATI card in G75. Truth is, it seems to me that ATI GPUs were always more sutiable for gamers wich you are not and this Kepler archit. from nVidia is realy good stuff and as someone wrote here it would be a she to miss it.

Drqaisar411
01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
well based on the work you are going to do on your pc ( and I do pretty much the same stuff+ graphic design and some 3D) it is better to have nVidia (though gaming computers use different GPUs(GeForce) than workstations(Quadro), but even gaming GPUs (nVidias) do have the CUDA technology). Also your workflow will be a lot smoother inside aplications (well I'm focusing on the Adobe aps, if you are using Sony Vegas or something else I'm not sure if those software include GPU improvment). Furthermore get as much ram you can afford, explore options of making RAM disks. SSD will be great for everything. And that is it. That is basicly what you need. Don't bother your self with is there an ATI card in G75. Truth is, it seems to me that ATI GPUs were always more sutiable for gamers wich you are not and this Kepler archit. from nVidia is realy good stuff and as someone wrote here it would be a she to miss it.

Now this is a decent comment :) , thanks bro. I think sony vegas has hardware encoding but it is disabled on my current desktop. I believe 670mx will work with this hardware encoding and editing will be much faster. I will buy 2 x 8 gb ram at some point, the question is only when. Is this ssd upgrading is simple or pain in a$$ to configure nee windows 8 installation on it? and from windows 8 comes to mind the driver support, is it sufficient or still immature. Comment freely. I will get my lappy in about a week, thus want to get ready for all the upgrades :)

Tomislav
01-23-2013, 10:55 PM
glad to be of help. as for SSD, according to the posts and reviews it shouldn't be too complicated but I haven't done it myself yet. It's on my top 3 list of upgrades ( it will probably be the second upgrade ,RAM being the first as it is cheap and easy ). I've already wrote that I plan to wait a bit more for the prices to drop. I'm new to this forum but I bet some of the senior members can link you some good tutorials on installing windows 8 ext. As for the win 8, I haven't had any problems with the drivers and this is the first time in windows history (actually in history of me using a computer) that i had the newest version of windows installed on my rig. I was always pretty stubborn about new win. I like them. There are some user experience flaws but the main thing is the absence of the start menu. So I installed a sweet little software that add it. Problem solved. Other than that all of the software I used works fine and win 8 ARE FASTER than 7. there I've said it.

Ristus
01-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi.

Ther is no HD 7970 on that netanttila G75VX it is same as all others, there was just copy paste error as everyone assumed... I send email to netanttila sale and asked this and they fixed that information... it is GTC 670MX and i ordered one to myself... Long time to wait.

srmojuze
01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi.

Ther is no HD 7970 on that netanttila G75VX it is same as all others, there was just copy paste error as everyone assumed... I send email to netanttila sale and asked this and they fixed that information... it is GTC 670MX and i ordered one to myself... Long time to wait.

So in the end you get Kepler... Muah ha ha ha... Enjoy, you will like it.

Drqaisar411
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Just came back to Finland, the laptop is ready to pickup, lets see what did i get. :) I will post the specifications, it seems in the end it all was just a mistake/mess up :)

Tomislav
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh you are going to experience a magical moment of unboxing your G. :o. Awesome.