PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what to do with 16GB of RAM

srmojuze
01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Honestly. Just last year I went to 8GB of RAM, and I thought that was extreme. Just got my G55 and 16GB of RAM??? Seriously, what do I do with it? :o

Ramdisk is a possibility, but honestly the 128GB SSD is fast enough.

Suggestions please...

rewben
01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
yeah make a ram disk; it helps to save some writes/erases to your ssd (thus prolong the life of your ssd).

i use ram disk for work; i also put my cache, temporary files, or whatever that can be thrown away safely after shutdown in my ram disk. i use it for downloads too. normally i scan the ram disk after a day's work before i moved the files to my external drive; everything is super fast (except for the time to transfer those gigabytes of files from ram drive to spindle discs).

srmojuze
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
yeah make a ram disk; it helps to save some writes/erases to your ssd (thus prolong the life of your ssd).

i use ram disk for work; i also put my cache, temporary files, or whatever that can be thrown away safely after shutdown in my ram disk. i use it for downloads too. normally i scan the ram disk after a day's work before i moved the files to my external drive; everything is super fast (except for the time to transfer those gigabytes of files from ram drive to spindle discs).

Cheers, definitely something to think about.

ashue
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
I strongly suggest that you wait for the upcoming games this year that will be using a good amount of memory when running on recommended specs/hardware. Crysis 3 is worth the wait I think.

mrwolf
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
yea i agree with ashue.. Even now, when video rendering in 1080p i get 15GB ram usage..

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM
I got 32gb ram and I have no idea how to use them up.

Zygomorphic
01-22-2013, 05:21 PM
16 GB isn't really enough for a RAM disk, since you want at least 8 GB for gaming, and 8 GB is awfully small, since most programs that could utilize an 8 GB RAM disk as scratch space can do so internally with additional RAM (compilers are what I am thinking of). I use VMs, and with 16 GB I can have 8+ GB for my host, and 4-6 GB for the guests. :)

Tomislav
01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Honestly. Just last year I went to 8GB of RAM, and I thought that was extreme. Just got my G55 and 16GB of RAM??? Seriously, what do I do with it? :o

Ramdisk is a possibility, but honestly the 128GB SSD is fast enough.

Suggestions please... Just brag;) !

Zygomorphic
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Just brag;) !

Ooops...got me there...I do that too. :D

srmojuze
01-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Just brag;) !

I am still in too much "shock" to brag... Maybe in a few weeks... :D

fostert
01-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Get 32GB...make a 24GB RAMdisk, use 8GB for OS. @Rewben's got the best idea....get your OS to R/W all its temporary runtime files and cache/swap files on the RAMdisk.

Tomislav
01-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Get 32GB...make a 24GB RAMdisk, use 8GB for OS. @Rewben's got the best idea....get your OS to R/W all its temporary runtime files and cache/swap files on the RAMdisk. that is a good idea + you can also BRAG MORE!!!

Zygomorphic
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Get 32GB...make a 24GB RAMdisk, use 8GB for OS. @Rewben's got the best idea....get your OS to R/W all its temporary runtime files and cache/swap files on the RAMdisk.

Or wait a few months, spend the money, and get 64 GB and BRAG BIG TIME! :) Actually, @fostert is right, that is something to consider. Do you do that? I didn't set up a RAM disk since I only have 16 GB and use a good deal of it with my VMs. I also don't tend to generate zillions of temporary files, and with enough RAM, I never use the swapfile. :)

srmojuze
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Ah... Thanks for all the suggestions. 32GB RAM. Wow that would be insane. But yeah Ramdisk is perfect for that.

Tomislav
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
bragging aside, you could start doing some video/photo editing to put that RAM to good use. I personally always had better software and no money for
good hardware that is up until now. Now I have G. So to paraphrase someone in one of the threads here : just the mere ability to have 16 GB of RAM, feels like...victory.

srmojuze
01-24-2013, 08:29 AM
bragging aside, you could start doing some video/photo editing to put that RAM to good use. I personally always had better software and no money for
good hardware that is up until now. Now I have G. So to paraphrase someone in one of the threads here : just the mere ability to have 16 GB of RAM, feels like...victory.

Ah... I found a use now... Will put Browser caches, Hawken and eventually Steam Games (when I buy Dead Space 3, etc.) onto RAMDisk. As for video/photo editing yes, perhaps in time, I am switching from Mac so in a few months I will need to decide whether to use Adobe CS6 or some other tool (used Adobe for a long time, I think it is very professional but getting rather bloated now). Cheers.

rewben
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM

well, that's not my idea; i learned it from some nice folks many many years ago (when we could brag if we had 64mb of RAM haha!); then i put it to use in linux.

a few months ago there's a bottle neck of hard disk when i needed to process thousands of incoming emails through antivirus/spam software; so a small ram disk as temp helped boost up the process a lot; that's how i managed to get an old box from a client, with intel p4 and 1gb ram to process 15k emails a day, without hiccups haha!

Zygomorphic
01-24-2013, 05:27 PM
well, that's not my idea; i learned it from some nice folks many many years ago (when we could brag if we had 64mb of RAM haha!); then i put it to use in linux.

a few months ago there's a bottle neck of hard disk when i needed to process thousands of incoming emails through antivirus/spam software; so a small ram disk as temp helped boost up the process a lot; that's how i managed to get an old box from a client, with intel p4 and 1gb ram to process 15k emails a day, without hiccups haha!

That's really pretty awesome! :) When you are bound up in the disk, everything grinds to a halt. I may have to consider moving my tmp runtime files to a RAM-disk, but I think most of them are. With my 16 GB of RAM, I never page-out anything. :)

rewben
01-24-2013, 06:26 PM
That's really pretty awesome! :) When you are bound up in the disk, everything grinds to a halt. I may have to consider moving my tmp runtime files to a RAM-disk, but I think most of them are. With my 16 GB of RAM, I never page-out anything. :)

haha you're correct; 16gb of ram is really abundant :)

Paulovrv
01-24-2013, 06:44 PM
yeah make a ram disk

How do you do that?

rewben
01-24-2013, 06:48 PM
my current favorite: http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

more can be found here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/

Vicodin
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
I am about to put 32GB in mine! :)

Tomislav
01-24-2013, 08:40 PM
I am switching from Mac so in a few months I will need to decide whether to use Adobe CS6 or some other tool (used Adobe for a long time, I think it is very professional but getting rather bloated now). Cheers. huh, I really like to see mac going down from his throne, especially from an Adobe user. @rewben that idea with e-mails is awesome. I would give you more rep but I already did. If there is a tutorial on how to do that or something please share. @everybody sorry for digression...

Zygomorphic
01-24-2013, 08:47 PM
huh, I really like to see mac going down from his throne, especially from an Adobe user. @rewben that idea with e-mails is awesome. I would give you more rep but I already did. If there is a tutorial on how to do that or something please share. @everybody sorry for digression...

The inner penguin is talking now...
For photo-editing, try GIMP.
For 3D modeling, try Blender.

Both are quite good, and completely free and open-source.

Tomislav
01-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Blender is a powerful one, I can vouch for that. Didn't use GIMP. As far as design work goes I stick with Adobe.

Quasimodem
01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
my current favorite: http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

more can be found here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/

Could you be more specific with the size of your RAMDisk and what you have remapped Windows to store there? I haven't really explored the idea of using a RAMDisk because I have 2 SSD in RAID-0 and don't expect much performance increase... but I have began looking into it...

Tomislav
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
I think I've shed a tear after reading "two SSD-s in RAID 0" what's your boot time? like -12 seconds?

Quasimodem
01-24-2013, 10:48 PM
I think I've shed a tear after reading "two SSD-s in RAID 0" what's your boot time? like -12 seconds?

If you count everything, 12 seconds is about it... It doesn't improve the boot time any, it was actually the same minus the RAID initialization screen using only one SSD, it was 10 seconds then... I notice the performance mostly when installing or uninstalling applications... That's lightning fast...

Zygomorphic
01-25-2013, 01:25 AM
If you count everything, 12 seconds is about it... It doesn't improve the boot time any, it was actually the same minus the RAID initialization screen using only one SSD, it was 10 seconds then... I notice the performance mostly when installing or uninstalling applications... That's lightning fast...

And you are considering an upgrade! :rolleyes: That's insane. I have a 7200RPM drive and I am proud of that. lol :p

Quasimodem
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
And you are considering an upgrade! :rolleyes: That's insane. I have a 7200RPM drive and I am proud of that. lol :p

I guess I did kind of go overboard with this thing... Sometimes I consider putting back stock and selling it for something else to build on... But I don't really game at all...

rewben
01-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Could you be more specific with the size of your RAMDisk and what you have remapped Windows to store there? I haven't really explored the idea of using a RAMDisk because I have 2 SSD in RAID-0 and don't expect much performance increase... but I have began looking into it...

the idea is this:
1. ssd takes care of OS/app loading;
2. for data, we know ssd has a limited writes/erase cycles; to minimize writes/erases on ssd, a ram disk is a better alternative than a hdd; so you identify and remap a few directories that are used by the OS/apps to cater for high read/write operations.

what i need and do is very simple:
1. create a 16gb ramdisk and set up the ramdisk app;

2. map user temporary folder, cache folders of my firefox and chrome, and all browsers have their download folder pointed to ram disk.

a ram disk is still about 7 times faster than a raid0.

edit: note that i use the option that creates the ramdisk and directory structures on-the-fly; i do not create a ramdisk image that can be reused (i.e. preserve the state of ram disk contents and reloaded upon next boot).

Quasimodem
01-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Super thanx man, I clicked the Rep button, let's see if it works...

rewben
01-25-2013, 03:11 AM
no problem man :)

to me, the good thing about this ram disk thing is that i can still free up the used space when i need to run many vms; it's very flexible :D

huh, I really like to see mac going down from his throne, especially from an Adobe user. @rewben that idea with e-mails is awesome. I would give you more rep but I already did. If there is a tutorial on how to do that or something please share. @everybody sorry for digression...

in linux things are even more simple (you have all the tools in place already); just define a mount point (say, /tmp; /var/tmp) with type tmpfs and size in /etc/fstab (in centos for instance) and you're good to go.

note that there are more than one way to do it in linux; and i just choose the directories that i can safely discard the contents upon shut-down.

srmojuze
01-25-2013, 04:36 AM

Indeed. With 2 SSDs in RAID0 ~Time Itself~ slows down so that we can keep pace with it. That's why we don't notice much difference. :D

srmojuze
01-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Cheers all (thanks especially Rewben) I set up a 4GB RAMDisk (I still love lots of unused RAM :)) and put Windows Temp, User Appdata Local Temp (through Junction), and Firefox cache on it. Feels like... victory, with a dash of peppermint.

fostert
01-25-2013, 06:30 AM
in linux things are even more simple (you have all the tools in place already); just define a mount point (say, /tmp; /var/tmp) with type tmpfs and size in /etc/fstab (in centos for instance) and you're good to go.

Here is what I do to put the /tmp filesystem on a RAMdisk:

First, make sure your /etc/fstab file has this line:

# Device Mountpoint Filesystem Options Check/Backup
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=1G 0 0

Then; move and remount the /tmp directory in linux:
1) cd /
2) mv tmp tmpold
3) mkdir tmp
4) mount /tmp

I also mount /var/lock, /var/run and /run as a ramdisk, if you have them. That way obsolete lock and temporary runtime files disappear on reboot.

rewben
01-25-2013, 06:49 AM
@fostert, nice tip! i will definitely use this later on :)

Tomislav
01-25-2013, 07:29 AM
great tips all of you guys ! tnx!

srmojuze
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah Firefox is lightning fast now and I'm so happy I don't have Windows and User temp files going onto my SSD. Don't like "polluting" my SSD like that ha ha.

task650
04-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Super thanx man, I clicked the Rep button, let's see if it works...

And I'm going to super thanx your super thanx. ;)

Zygomorphic
04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
And I'm going to super thanx your super thanx. ;)

Welcome @task650! I'm curious to know what helped you. Were you planning on getting 16 GB of RAM?