PDA

View Full Version : frequent crashing of my g74sx has recently started happening...

AQUASTEVAE
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
my g74sx has started crashing a lot recently, after a year of running perfectly. the only thing i remember doing differently is upgrading from firefox 15 to 18, and reloading the atk package, when it seemed to stop working. other than that can't think of anything different. any help is really appreciated. it will run fine for about 45 min's, and then freeze up, or give me the blue screen of death.

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
1) What is the a) bugcheck code, b) bugcheck string, c) 4 Parameters, and d) filenames of files that may have caused the problem? BlueScreenView from Nirsoft can help you gather that information.

2) Can you supply more detail of exactly what you're doing when the lockups and BSOD's occur? In other words, if you wanted someone else to reproduce a lockup or BSOD on your machine, what steps would you have them take?

3) Since you report the crashes are a recent phenomenon, Windows System Restore may allow you to resolve the problem by restoring your system to a time just before the problem occurred, then you could pay close attention to any new installations or configuration changes.

fostert
01-23-2013, 05:17 AM
How are the CPU temps? Perhaps the heatsink/pipes came loose and are making intermittent or little contact with the die/thermal grease?

Pitcher@asus
01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
how is happen when you remove firefox? if you do not mind you can try restore OS.

AQUASTEVAE
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
ok, first i have dl bsv, and have it running. i have not read anything about it though, so i hope it works on its own.
next, yes fos, my temps have been a bit higher. like when idling they are in the low 50's, but when i do something stronger, they run up in the 60's. right now speed fan has most of my cores at 53c while typing this post.
btw, is brodyboy still on here helping people like he use to?

update, for dstrakele, my sys has crashed twice since adding bsv, and it shows no crashes. of course neither crash produced a blue screen, but the system froze all the same, and had to be restarted. any advise?

dstrakele
01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
System lockups typically don't provide you with any diagnostic information. The best you can hope for is to examine the Windows System and Application Event Logs for any Warnings or Errors that may point to a troubleshooting direction. For example, Disk Errors in the System Event Log could indicate a failing HDD that may be causing the lockup. Look around startup time (for any processes, apps, or drivers that fail to start) and a couple hours prior to the lockup (which will be identified by by a generic Kernel Power EventID 41 that tells of the unexpected shutdowns).

BlueScreenView should be able to gather information from past BSOD's by reading the mini-dump files created when they occur. Are you not seeing any past BSOD's information displayed when you launch this utility?

Standard troubleshooting for lockups involves confirming the file system and memory are sound by running CHKDSK C: /F /R from an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on the Command Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator") and running memtest86+, respectively.

Driver conflicts typically can cause lockups. Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Administration, or Disk Management software are the usual suspects. You can troubleshoot by selectively uninstalling these applications to see if the lockup behavior is eliminated. You mentioned upgrading Firefox at about the time you observed your first lockup. That makes it a definite lockup suspect for selective uninstallation.

Windows System Restore is a quick way of resolving recent lockup issues. Just restore back to the Restore Point closest to the time BEFORE the first lockup was observed and see if it eliminates the problem. You can always UNDO a System Restore if it doesn't help.

If it DOES eliminate the lockup, pay particular attention to any updates (including Windows Updates and Antivirus updates) as well as configuration changes. It is advisable to create a Restore Point prior to any updates you make so they can easily be undone if they turn out to be the culprit.

AQUASTEVAE
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
yeah, the sys locks up most of the time, and i only get the bsd once in a while. but, no, it does not show the old crashes. how can i load tilhem?
check disk will not run while sys is running so it will run when i restart. and the cmd said that memtest86+ was an unrecognized command.
my windows restore doesn't go back far enough to help. but that brings up another question, how can i create a restore point that will not be erased, or over written? can i set it to only manual restore points created?

dstrakele
01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
1) BlueScreenView automatically loads information from dump files in the Windows 7 Minidump folder (default is C:\windows\minidump\) when you launch it. It sounds like there are none on your system. Check to see if your system is configured to save minidump files from BSOD's. See http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/.

2) You can increase the amount of disk space devoted to Windows System Restore Points so they last longer, but it is not designed to be a backup utility. If you want to save a snapshot of your system for the long term, you'll want to backup a Windows System Image using "Backup and Restore" or a disk image using a utility like Acronis True Image.

3) memtest86+ is a 3rd party memory diagnostic utility. See http://www.memtest.org/.

AQUASTEVAE
01-23-2013, 10:50 PM
well there are a few other things that i didn't mention, as i thought the things i did mention were the important factors. however, just to be complete, here are a few of the other things that have been happening.
first, several times when the sys locks up, i have to shut down completely and restart it. when i have many times, it will not boot into windows. instead it tells me that i need to put in my installation disk, and run it. sometimes this works, when i use startup
repair, other times it says it can't fix it, and ask's me if i want to send a report.
other times it just tells me windows didn't shut down properly, and ask's me how i want to boot back into windows. ie normal startup, or safe mode...etc...
i ran a check disk, and it ran without any errors found until the last stage, where it said that there wasn't enough space to recover bad sectors. but when i run ssdlife, it says that my ssd drive is in perfect health. so i freed as much space as i could on c:, but there seems to be more space being taken up than what i can find in my files and folders. there is like 50gig's that i can't account for. any other idea's?

i do use acronis, but unfortunately, as it always seems to happen, i deleted all of my older images, and the image i kept seems to contain the same problem, as that was the first thing i did.
finally, i just noticed that my avast internet security hasn't updated in a while. and when i try to update the definitions, it gets stuck. so i am thinking about deleting it, and reloading from scratch.

xeromist
01-23-2013, 11:22 PM
It's possible that much of the consumed space you can't account for is taken up by the Hibernation and Swap files. The hibernation file is the same size as your installed memory. However, using space on the SSD should not cause crashes. Have you checked to see if there is a newer firmware for your SSD than is currently in use?

Your temps don't seem too high. If you are worried they are higher than when it was new you might just need to blast it out with compressed air.

dstrakele
01-24-2013, 12:05 AM
It's good news that CHKDSK found no file system errors. Crashes can corrupt files that are in use at that time. It's not surprising Windows requested an installation disk for startup after a crash. It's also good news SSDlife reports your SSD as healthy.

Avast could be a victim - it got corrupted in a crash OR it could be a culprit - it installed a driver during an update that has destabilized your system. Uninstalling it will be a good troubleshooting step. I recommend booting into Windows Safe Mode to disable it prior to uninstallation. Then reboot normally and see if you can reproduce a lockup before you reinstall.

Alternatively, you may have unintentionally downloaded malware that intentionally disabled Avast so it could complete its goal of world domination - so be wary...

AQUASTEVAE
01-24-2013, 07:40 AM
well, here is the update:

first, i had another blue screen crash, and the bsv still says zero crashes afterwards. scratching my head on this one...

second, i have downgraded firefox back down to version 15, but i don' t think it has anything to do with it.

third, i completely removed avast, using revo uninstaller pro. the new load of avast says it is updating, but seems to be stuck. not sure it is actually updating as i type this. isn't there a manual way to download virus definitions?

i think you might be on to something with my avast. as it hasn't acted right since all of this began. but how can something mess with the program most charged with protecting my system?

while i'm here, i have an unrelated question. i put my virtual memory on another partition, so that i will run better and not be affected by all the activity on c:. but every time windows starts it tells me it made a temp virtual memory. why can't it just accept that i put it on another partition? how can i get it to stop this message on startup, and just accept the one that is on my a:?

dstrakele
01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
1) Follow the instructions in http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/ to ensure your system is properly configured to capture MiniDump files. Check the folder where they are configured to be written (default is C:\windows\minidump\) to see if they exist.

BlueScreenView reads the Windows registry to determine the location of the MiniDump folder and automatically reads all MiniDump files it finds there, but you can also point it to any folder on your system and even select individual MiniDump files to open.

If MiniDump files are NOT being created, there is still a chance information from the BSOD is recorded in a Critical Error Event in the Windows System Event Log. See http://blog.tune-up.com/tips-and-tricks/diagnosing-windows-errors-event-viewer-secrets/.

2) Avast has had problems with updates causing lockups and BSOD's in the recent past (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=50cte3s9dgp4gfgdrdqoa55vk3&topic=107722.0), so I think that is a more likely scenario than malware disabling it. The problems typically result when other Security software (MalwareBytes AntiMalware, ZoneAlarm, etc.) are also running on the system. You got any?

Updates can typically be blocked by Firewall software. What Firewall are you currently running? Is it properly configured to allow Avast to obtain its updates?

You didn't mention if you attempted to reproduce a lockup or BSOD while Avast was uninstalled on your system. That's a key troubleshooting step for your issue.

3) You need to have SOME virtual memory on C:. In fact, Windows may need it to store info from RAM while it creates the MiniDump file (See http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/178126-bsod-win7-x64-new-pc-cant-create-minidump-file.html). It wants it on C: because that is guaranteed to be accessible on the next startup after a BSOD while virtual memory on another drive may not be. Leave a GB on C: to keep Windows happy.

AQUASTEVAE
01-24-2013, 08:30 PM
ok, so when i checked, windows was not saving mini dump files, and i made the necessary corrections. and while i did have malwarebytes and superantispyware running, avast still will not update, so i am dumping it, and going with ms security essentials, hoping that avast was the problem, and this will solve it.
while downloading these files, and multitasking several things at once, my core temps are running up in the 55-58c range. is that normal for this kind of activity, as i can't remember it ever being this hot while i was working on it? it normally seemed to stay in the high 40's unless i was gaming or really working the gpu, but i could be wrong, and just not have noticed it before.
i put a gig on c:, and tell me again how i purposely reproduce the bsd or lockup?

btw, i'm still using bios 201, anything to upgrading to 202?

dstrakele
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
1) It seems a bit warm if your room temperature is in the 20-22 C range. Get a can of compressed gas and thoroughly blow out the fan intakes and exhausts. See if that lowers your core temperatures.

If the driver conflict also results in higher CPU utilization on your system, it could also be responsible for elevated CPU temperatures. You may find your system runs cooler just from resolving this issue.

2) Are the lockups and BSOD's occurring completely at random or do you notice they occur when performing certain operations with the same programs? Do they occur shortly after startup? I'm suggesting you do whatever you normally do when you experience a lockup. If that fails to cause a new lockup or BSOD now that Avast is removed, then you may have discovered a culprit.

Alternatively, if you prefer Avast as your Antivirus program, you could try removing MalwareBytes and/or SuperAntiSpyware and see if lockups still occur. Whenever there is a driver conflict that leads to a lockup, removing either of the culprits will resolve the problem.

3) BIOS 202 was recommended as a fix for missing keystrokes (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-(SOLVED) along with installing an ATK Package update. If you aren't experiencing this issue, the update will probably have no effect on your system.

BIOS 202 also changes NumLock and keypad key behavior. This could be desirable if you want to use NumLock or keypad shortcuts in games. It will not help with your lockup issue.

AQUASTEVAE
01-26-2013, 07:21 AM
yes, the lockups are totally random. i have gotten rid of several programs that i thought were causing problems, and they continue to happen. it usually runs for about 45 min's to an hour before a lockup, and different programs are running each time. that is what is so flabbergasting. so now i am downloading a new video driver and avast 7 internet security. thinking those might help. if that doesn't do it, i will wipe the entire system, and start from scratch.

dstrakele
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
1) It may be worthwhile looking in the System or Application Event Logs for any clues. The Bug Check Code of the BSOD's would be in the System Event Log

2) Did you ever run CHKDSK on each partition of your HDD? Just accessing a failing HDD can cause a lockup. Disk Errors would also be recorded in the System Event Log. I even recall a user getting lockups because his WiFi card was failing. He noticed errors pointing to the WiFi card in the System Event Log. When he physically removed the card from his laptop, the lockups stopped.

3)The completely random nature of the lockups with respect to applications you're using may indicate a problem with memory. I'd probably open the back of the laptop, reseat the memory chips and drives, and run memtest86+ to determine if the memory is sound.

4) If you boot up into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution, it could help determine if it's a Windows software or a hardware problem (such as memory) without having to completely restore Windows. If your lockups are hardware-related, restoring Windows will just be a waste of time.

AQUASTEVAE
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
ok, so i've opened the event viewer, and there is a ton of options. i've always been fairly well versed with my computers, but i feel like a noob here. so you'll have to explain to me where to look and what i need to post back here.
i've looked under custom views, at the administrative and summary pages, and there are a lot of listings. what specifically should i be looking for, and where exactly?

dstrakele
01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
As I previously posted, http://blog.tune-up.com/tips-and-tricks/diagnosing-windows-errors-event-viewer-secrets/ provides a good introduction to troubleshooting with Event Viewer.

Events are best reported by the following fields in Event Viewer: a) Source , b) EventID, and c) Description. An example could be Error Event: Disk, EventID 11, The driver detected a controller error on \Device\HardDisk1\DR10. This would indicate a disk or disk controller problem that could lead to a lockup or BSOD. You'd want to run CHKDSK on that HDD to determine if there is file corruption or bad sectors.

One of the first Error Events you should search for would be the Blue Screen (or maybe it's Bug Check) Source that records information from the BSOD's you've received on your laptop. These could probably be most easily located from scanning the Administrative Events window. Report the Bug Check Code and 4 Parameters.

Since your lockup occurs 45 minutes to an hour from startup, I would scan the System Event Log first. The Date and Time of events will help to indicate the system startup. There are also 3 "Event Log " Source Events present at each startup.

Scan for red Error or yellow Warning icons., select them and read the Description. The Kernel Power EventID 41 event will help you locate when the laptop was shutdown unexpectedly due to the lockup.

- Memory error Events could indicate the need to run memtest86+ to diagnose your RAM.

- Errors reporting of Processes or Drivers that are failing to start could point to applications that are culprits in the lockup.

- If a Windows Process is reporting errors you may want to run System File Checker (SFC /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt) to restore corrupt Windows System Files.

- Error Events pointing to hardware devices will be important to your troubleshooting.
You have to think like a detective. The Error and Warning Events are clues. Where do they lead?

You can Google the Source, EventID, and Description text to get more information from the more technically challenging Events. http://www.eventid.net/ is a good place to search for the causes of Errors and Warnings in the Event Logs.

AQUASTEVAE
01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
these are the most frequent errors i see. i have googled a couple of them, and tried fixes but don't think they have worked. all of these happened around the time of a lock up.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Service cannot be started. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SetupAfterRebootService.SetupARService.OnStart(Str ing[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMai nCallback(Object state)

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer BRENT-PC that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{5F9D868A-AA7E-4A5F-AFB0-AC46C4C176A2}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x0015005E98F5. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.'

dstrakele
01-27-2013, 11:54 PM
No "Blue Screen" or "Bug Check" Source Errors in the Administrative Events that describe the BSOD's you've received?

EDIT: I had the Event Source name wrong. Here's an example of how it should look:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemError

Reporting Date: 10/3/2012 9:19:24 AM

Event ID: 1001

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: JimmyKirk

Computer: HELP_ME_SPOCK

Description: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x8ba289b8, 0x8ba28b24, 0x82c63df0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

Report Id: 100312-800425-01.

Note the Source name and text in the Event. Do you observe anything similar in your Administrative Events? If so, I'm interested in the text of the Description, which contains the Bug Check Code and 4 Parameters.

AQUASTEVAE
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
checking the system log now.

dstrakele
01-29-2013, 02:14 PM
You can download the latest BIOS update from http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336. Select "Windows 7 64bit" for the OS, then expand "BIOS" in the resulting page to get to the download link.

Make sure you follow the proper BIOS flashing procedure. Any problems with the flash may render your system unusable. As discussed earlier, it will not resolve your crashing issue.

AQUASTEVAE
02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
i am getting kernal power errors. here is what event viewer listed:

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-01-30T10:34:33.152004700Z

EventRecordID 1748

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer EINSTEIN

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

AQUASTEVAE
02-01-2013, 09:40 PM
i did a memory check and it says everything is ok. i have reloaded windows, and still getting the lockups. i just don't understand where this came from. my sys has run perfectly for so long.

dstrakele
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
If you reinstalled Windows and get lockups without installing any 3rd party applications, it suggests a hardware-related problem.

How did you perform the memory check? On the G74SX, you have easy access to all 4 memory slots, so you can check each memory chip individually by installing it in slot 1 and running at least 3 passes of memtest86+.

The Kernel Power EventID 41 events are generic and only indicate an unexpected shutdown.

fostert
02-02-2013, 02:42 AM
i did a memory check and it says everything is ok. i have reloaded windows, and still getting the lockups. i just don't understand where this came from. my sys has run perfectly for so long.

If you are using memtest86+, be aware that at least 3 full passes are needed to reliably detect memory errors. In some cases even 3 passes may not find an error though one exists. Best thing to do to detect RAM errors is tp test the sticks individually (single channel mode), and in pairs (dual channel mode), cycling through the 6 possible pairs of 4 sticks.

I have found memtest86+ very good but not totally foolproof at finding RAM problems.

Have you checked CPU temps? Sorry, I haven't followed this up.

AQUASTEVAE
02-02-2013, 06:31 AM
it's kind of funny. i have my g74 setup with an ssd partitioned into a: and c:, as boot drives. then a 750g hdd partitioned into d: and b:, for data drives.
when i started moving data off of my d and b drives (onto and external), the temps went down. it had started to average around 52-55c, and after clearing the hdd of all data, the temps went back down to the normal 42-47c. i thought that was strange. but i started adding third party programs immediately, as I was working under the assumption that it had to be software related, since my memtest and chkdsk went fine.
i only ran memtest, because when i dl memtest86+, it only gave me a boot folder, and never seemed to work when i tried to use it to boot. so i was obviously doing something wrong.
so still searching for why i am getting lockups. it happens most of the time while i am on the net using firefox. but has happened with other programs as well. i have just removed two of my mem sticks, so see if it might be one of them. so far so good...

AQUASTEVAE
02-03-2013, 01:04 AM
well at least two of my memory sticks still allowed the lockups. i am down to two others i am testing. my temps are staying around the 46-49 mark right now.

on another note, if you have a usb drive that says it is write protected, but has no physical slider, how can you remove such write protection?

AQUASTEVAE
02-03-2013, 01:08 AM
fostert's quote: "If you are using memtest86+, be aware that at least 3 full passes are needed to reliably detect memory errors. In some cases even 3 passes may not find an error though one exists. Best thing to do to detect RAM errors is tp test the sticks individually (single channel mode), and in pairs (dual channel mode), cycling through the 6 possible pairs of 4 sticks.

I have found memtest86+ very good but not totally foolproof at finding RAM problems. Have you checked CPU temps? Sorry, I haven't followed this up."

is there something specific i need to do to use memtest86+? i dl it, but only got a boot folder. how should i proceed? i put it on a bootable usb drive, but it never ran.

update: the system locks up with any combination of memory sticks i leave in the machine. that makes me think that it is not the memory sticks, although i have gotten a bizarre message once in a while.
i can never write it down fast enough, but it goes something like this:

INSTRUCTIONS AT 0x0000000076A252B4 REFERENCED MEMORY AT 0X00007FE91A4A4E COULD NOT BE PUT INTO MEMORY... something something something

this comes in a little window right before it shuts down. does that tell you anything specific?

AQUASTEVAE
02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
did you guys give up on me??????

dstrakele
02-04-2013, 12:38 AM
update: the system locks up with any combination of memory sticks i leave in the machine. that makes me think that it is not the memory sticks, although i have gotten a bizarre message once in a while.
i can never write it down fast enough, but it goes something like this:

INSTRUCTIONS AT 0x0000000076A252B4 REFERENCED MEMORY AT 0X00007FE91A4A4E COULD NOT BE PUT INTO MEMORY... something something something

this comes in a little window right before it shuts down. does that tell you anything specific?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7307326_fix-referenced-memory-errors.html indicates this error may result from insufficient virtual memory.

1) Does the BIOS recognize the total amount of RAM currently installed in your laptop? Does HWINFO64 report the correct amount of memory?

2) How do you have Virtual Memory configured currently on your laptop?

3) I'm still interested in the Bugcheck Code and 4 Parameters of the BSOD's you've received. Were you unable to find any Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemError EventID 1001 Errors in the Administrative Events window? Unfortunately, reinstalling Windows has now eliminated this possibility.

I recommend configuring your system NOT to restart on a BSOD. This way, you can record the BSOD information even if some memory error prevents Windows from doing so.

I'm becoming suspicious you may have a defective DIMM slot or CPU.

fostert
02-04-2013, 01:14 AM
To get memtest86+ running, download the following:

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

Unzip it, burn the image to a CD, reboot and set BIOS to boot from CD before HDD, and then boot up with the CD in the drive. Memtest86+ will run automatically from there.

Be sure memtest86+ detects the same amount of RAM that the BIOS says it finds. Be sure the CAS timings memtest86+ says for the RAM (i.e. 9-9-9-24, or something like that) and the frequency (e.g. ~665 MHz for 1333 MHz ram) are correct. Look at everything memtest86+ reports on the RAM, and compare it with the specs you know are right for the RAM. If anything is amiss, post it here and we'll figure it out.

If you get *any* (even one) error found, the stick(s) is/are bad and must be replaced (i.e. RMA'ed or a new one purchased).

AQUASTEVAE
02-04-2013, 10:55 PM
first to dstrakele, i haven't seen any WER-SystemError EventID 1001 Errors in the admin area, only wmi errors. there are no hardware errors listed in the app's and services area, and no errors listed in the windows logs. here is a list of the latest errors:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x0015005E98F5. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The content source <csc://{S-1-5-21-3121173224-2813938347-4056382219-1000}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
The object was not found. (HRESULT : 0x80041201) (0x80041201)

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Service cannot be started. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SetupAfterRebootService.SetupARService.OnStart(Str ing[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMai nCallback(Object state)

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {F87B28F1-DA9A-4F35-8EC0-800EFCF26B83} as /. The error:
"5"
Happened while starting this command:
C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe -Embedding

AQUASTEVAE
02-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Unzip it, burn the image to a CD, reboot and set BIOS to boot from CD before HDD, and then boot up with the CD in the drive. Memtest86+ will run automatically from there.

Be sure memtest86+ detects the same amount of RAM that the BIOS says it finds. Be sure the CAS timings memtest86+ says for the RAM (i.e. 9-9-9-24, or something like that) and the frequency (e.g. ~665 MHz for 1333 MHz ram) are correct. Look at everything memtest86+ reports on the RAM, and compare it with the specs you know are right for the RAM. If anything is amiss, post it here and we'll figure it out.

If you get *any* (even one) error found, the stick(s) is/are bad and must be replaced (i.e. RMA'ed or a new one purchased).

it is very hard to get burnable cd's or dvd's here. i live on a small island in the pacific. can this not be done on a bootable usb drive?

AQUASTEVAE
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM

it is very hard to get burnable cd's or dvd's here. i live on a small island in the pacific. can this not be done on a bootable usb drive?

dstrakele
02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm still interested in finding out if your laptop is recognizing all of the installed memory, due to the "Referenced Memory" errors.

SLUI.EXE is involved with Windows Activation. Were you able to successfully activate your new Windows Installation?

It also looks like your laptop is having trouble obtaining an IP Address. While this may be a result of the lockup, do you notice any disconnections from the network prior to the lockup?

Are you using a WiFi or Ethernet connection?

AQUASTEVAE
02-05-2013, 12:04 AM
ok, so i took your advise and stopped the blue screen from automatically shutting down the sys. here is what i was able to write down, other than the normal mumbo jumbo. the tech info was as follows:

Process or thread crucial to system has unexpectly exited or was terminated.
*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0X0000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA80124E0B30, 0XFFFFFA80124E0E10,
0XFFFFF800037D6460)
PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP FAILED WITH STATUS 0X0000010.

everything is crazy here where the net is concerned, but there are a lot of dns errors, and most of the lockups happen when i am browsing the net.

finally the laptop says it has all 16 gig's installed. but that is just off of the right clicking on computer and choosing properties. any other idea's of where i can check it. AIDA64 EXTREME ADDITION also see's all of the memory.

dstrakele
02-05-2013, 01:07 AM
The " PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP FAILED WITH STATUS 0X0000010." error caught my eye since we previously discussed configuring your laptop to capture MiniDumps.
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/135306-bsod-stop-0x000000f4.html came up in the search for this error. I found it interesting in that a 0xF4 BSOD was also reported and no dump file was saved even though the system was configured to do so.

Ultimately, the user resolved all his issues with a low level format of his HDD, even though no errors were being reported by CHKDSK (as in your case). You won't be low level formating your SSD, but you could troubleshoot by removing your SSD, installing Windows 7 to your HDD, and seeing if you can reproduce the lockup or BSOD.

fostert
02-05-2013, 02:19 AM

Apparently this link is for a bootable USB installer (I presume you have to unpack it first then follow some included instructions to put it on a USB for booting):
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip

but this image is only for windows, and i've never tried it...

Alternatively, this link:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.zip

provides a bootable binary, which you could simply put on a clean USB stick, boot the usb stick (by setting the BIOS) and it should run.

Remember, test with all 4 sticks installed, then each stick individually and in pairs, until you find the ones with the error(s). While memtest usually focusses in on errors in the RAM itself, also note that memtest exercises the CPU's integrated memoryt controller, and if that is flaky (heaven forbid!) it will register as errors in memtest too.

You can stress test both with prime95 in windows too, by running the large FFTs. A failure there usually indicates a faulty CPU, and focuses less on the memory.

AQUASTEVAE
02-05-2013, 10:30 AM
The " PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP FAILED WITH STATUS 0X0000010." error caught my eye since we previously discussed configuring your laptop to capture MiniDumps.
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/135306-bsod-stop-0x000000f4.html came up in the search for this error. I found it interesting in that a 0xF4 BSOD was also reported and no dump file was saved even though the system was configured to do so.

Ultimately, the user resolved all his issues with a low level format of his HDD, even though no errors were being reported by CHKDSK (as in your case). You won't be low level formating your SSD, but you could troubleshoot by removing your SSD, installing Windows 7 to your HDD, and seeing if you can reproduce the lockup or BSOD.

wow!!! i think you nailed it dstrakele. i loaded win 7 on one of my hdd partitions, and then i removed the ssd, and i've been up for hours since. i haven't had any bsod's, or any lockups. the computer is running very cool, and while it's not as fast as it was on the ssd, it is running flawlessly. so is there anything i do with the ssd to fix it?
well, this could be a bit premature, as i haven't loaded any third party software yet. i will load things one at a time and see what happens.

i will still test the memory fostert, and report what happens afterwards.

dstrakele
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
If I were in your situation, I'd try flashing the SSD firmware, either an update or a re-flash of the current firmware if an update does not exist. That may be the closest thing to a low level format. Hopefully, more knowledgeable folks can offer better suggestions.

But you are correct. It is premature to claim resolution until you've completed testing with all your 3rd party software installed.

AQUASTEVAE
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
If I were in your situation, I'd try flashing the SSD firmware, either an update or a re-flash of the current firmware if an update does not exist. That may be the closest thing to a low level format. Hopefully, more knowledgeable folks can offer better suggestions.

But you are correct. It is premature to claim resolution until you've completed testing with all your 3rd party software installed.

well, i've loaded most of my third party software, and i am on my second day with no bsod or lockups. i think you hit the nail on the head. i will try to reload the firmware with the ssd, and see if it helps.

couple of quick questions. first, is it ok to do the update with the ssd out of the computer on the usb cable that came with it? i'm guessing so, as that is why the cable came with it, but want to make sure.
second, it says that i have to download the .net 4 update, which i am doing while we speak. anything else i should be aware of?

actually, something just occurred to me. since the instructions were so adamant about having the .net 4 drivers loaded on the system before you can update the firmware, i am wondering if not having .net 4 on the system caused the ssd to have problems? the internet is really screwed up here, and so sometimes windows will go long stretches without updating. and i get caught up in several other events, and forget to do it manually. i wonder if this could have been the problem all along?

AQUASTEVAE
02-05-2013, 11:39 PM
well, the firmware update went very well. i put the drive back into the computer, and ran it straight from one of those windows installations. everything went exactly as the instructions said it would, and it seems to be running very well right now. of course i've only been up and running on the new firmware for a short time, but so far it is extremely fast, and with no problems. i will update after playing on it for the next hour or so to see if i experience any further lockups.

AQUASTEVAE
02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
well, been up for quite a while since updating the firmware, and no problems at all. in fact, it just might be because i have been using an os on the hdd for the last day or so, but this thing is really running fast. thank you guys so much for all of the information. i really appreciate it.

btw, has nobody heard anything from brodyboy? he use to be a mainstay on here. where did he go?

dstrakele
02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
btw, has nobody heard anything from brodyboy? he use to be a mainstay on here. where did he go?

Rumor has it @BrodyBoy was sucked in through his laptop's display into TRON cyberspace. I'm sure you can still reach him with a PM. In fact, I suspect he was at work repairing and optimizing your system from the 'inside'....

AQUASTEVAE
02-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Rumor has it @BrodyBoy was sucked in through his laptop's display into TRON cyberspace. I'm sure you can still reach him with a PM. In fact, I suspect he was at work repairing and optimizing your system from the 'inside'....

cool. i'll send him a private message. yeah, this situation had me really scratching my head. lack of experience with ssd's i guess. but it has been running all day now, and no problems at all. i'm back to full go. and the image that i saved from my sys previous to all of this happening loaded back up fine. so i am back to normal. thanks again for all the info!

dstrakele
02-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Youre very welcome - glad to hear things are workin' for you. It was an interesting case, not a lot of diagnostic information to point to a specific problem. In fact, I thought the SSD had been eliminated as a cause when CHKDSK reported no file system errors and SSDLife indicated the drive was healthy.

I think it made a good thread I can refer to others fot general troubleshooting of system lockups and/or BSOD's.

For BSOD's:

1) Use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the BSOD first occurred. OR restore the last stable backup of the system.

2) Use a utility like BlueScreenView to get a history of Bugcheck Codes that occurred on the system.

3) Configure Windows to capture MiniDumps. Configure not to restart in case dump files are not saved. Get analysis of memory dump if one exists.

4) Find Memory Dump information in the Windows System Event Log if necessary. Check Errors and Warnings in the Event Logs for clues to a troubleshooting direction.

5) Confirm file system is sound with CHKDSK. Confirm drive is healthy with a diagnostic utility.

6) Confirm memory is sound with memtest86+.

7) Troubleshoot possible driver conflict cause with selective app uninstallation.

8) Research exact text of error messages for clues to the cause.

9) Boot up to a Linux "LiveCD" distribution to determine if the cause is hardware or Windows software.

For System Lockups:

1) Use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the BSOD first occurred. OR restore the last stable backup of the system.

2) Troubleshoot possible driver conflict cause with selective app uninstallation.

3) Confirm file system is sound with CHKDSK. Confirm drive is healthy with a diagnostic utility.

4) Confirm memory is sound with memtest86+.

5) Check Errors and Warnings in the Event Logs for clues to a troubleshooting direction.

6) Research exact text of error messages for clues to the cause.

7) Boot up to a Linux "LiveCD" distribution to determine if the cause is hardware or Windows software.

AQUASTEVAE
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
yes, this is a very useful thread.

and after a few personal messages, i still haven't heard back from brodyboy...

fostert
02-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Its been a few months since I've seen posts from Brody here...I guess he burned out helping so many people, or maybe just got bored or tired like @JRd1st (who I have not seen on here for almost a year). Too bad...miss them both.

AQUASTEVAE
02-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Its been a few months since I've seen posts from Brody here...I guess he burned out helping so many people, or maybe just got bored or tired like @JRd1st (who I have not seen on here for almost a year). Too bad...miss them both.

yeah, me to. i was also going to ask about jr. hope they come back soon. of course, i've been gone for a long time as well before this last situation. so it was nice to be helped for a change, instead of always helping. lol.

AQUASTEVAE
02-09-2013, 11:15 AM

yeah, me to. i was also going to ask about jr. hope they come back soon. of course, i've been gone for a long time as well before this last situation. so it was nice to be helped for a change, instead of always helping. lol.