PDA

View Full Version : G75 and The Astro A50 Headset

mrwolf
01-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Hi guys,

I just picked up the astro a50 headset and have been having a hard time getting it to work. It seems that the onboard via audio deck will not support 5.1 dolby digital via the optical out on the 3.5mm output. Also I cannot get the mic to work after hours of playing around with the settings. To be honest I'm feeling quite frustrated now with my $250 purchase.

Has anyone here had any experience with this headset or similar surround headset? Any advice? Is my only option to go buy a usb sound card like the creative x-fi?

Any advice here or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-24-2013, 01:39 AM
250 dollars? mate, you should have bought these Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D Omega Wireless Headset (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1071&products_id=19613). I wouldn't really recommend anything else.

I suggest you return the ones you got and get those.

Pitcher@asus
01-24-2013, 06:58 AM
too expensive, i suggest you refound it and buy other device you can find the device in asus e-store.

Tomislav
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
well of course they don't work with your audio jack, at least not in 5.1 mode. Did you check if your headset has integrated audio card ( if it has connecting them with a USB is your only way). If not you'll have to buy an external audio card with 5.1 support. Btw I don't know about the price/quality but I checked how they look and I must say they look pretty cool.

mrwolf
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Ok so i have sorted it out now.. By plugging it into the audio jack with a mini Optical cable adapter to normal optical cable and usb connection to the wireless hub, it works perfectly :D Really refreshing to hear 10/10 crystal clear Hi-Def audio with proper BASS :) its been a while since ive heard good sound because of the ****ty onboard VIA sound aswell as the stock headset.. It seems to work fine with 7.1 surround though the optical cable and i must say, the sound is INCREDIBLE ! Even tried some games and they sound so good with the surround + heavy bass..

The only issue i have is with the microphone and have come to the conclusion that it is faulty. Ive already contacted Astro and should be getting a replacement soon :)

Thanks for the help anyways guys..

n1ghtl1fe
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
i actually picked up the Astro A50's a couple months back and after doing plenty of research (had A40's in the past) I finally caved and bought a external USB sound card. What it comes down to is the fact that the G75's onboard audio doesn't truly support the Dolby Live that the A50's mixamp requires for surround sound mixing. Through the SPIDF headphone port with an adapter you'll get basic 2.1 sound simulated by the mixamp to bring you surround.

It will sound amazing once you switch from the USB audio out in control panels sound settings (that the laptop defaults too, even tho you have the spdif connected :confused:) to the VIA digital out (what sounds like you did). But the only way to take full advantage of the set is to get an external usb sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live. It gives you real time surround and honestly makes a huge difference. You'll notice positioning sounds better as well as even better bass. As far as your mic not working if its enabled in sound settings under input device and still isn't picking up anything then it sounds like it is faulty. Only other thing I would try is to update the headset and mixamp's firmware from Astro's site. I read it fixed others mic issues. http://www.astrogaming.com/firmware

I used to review headsets and honestly you picked a beast of a set, glad you got it to work. If you want to take the next step though and use it to is potential, consider picking up one of these Creative Sound-Blaster XFi Pro (http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm)

It takes a little configuring to get the DDL working but its defiantly worth it. Let me know if you got any questions bro, enjoy

mrwolf
01-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Ah thanks alot man, i just switched the sound from the headset to the SPDIF and it made a HUGGE diff, very good quality sound :)

I am gonna send my current A50's back and order the Sound Blaster XFi Pro while my replacement arrives :cool: Im ready to use this thing to its full potential lol..

Once i have the new A50's and the external sound card ill let you know, your gonna have to help me configure the DDL to work properly as i have no clue when it comes to sound settings :s..

Thanks alot mate..