PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-TH72 migrating to SSD

richcj10
01-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Hi,

I feel really stupid about this but Sh*t happens and I need some help.
I was trying to migrate the drive that came with the laptop to a SSD .(Plextor MP5 Pro)
I first tried the software that came with the SSD .(NTI Echo) This resulted in a partition
SSD like the drive in the computer but when it would migrate the actual OS it would state it couldn't find the HHD to migrate the data from. I then tried aomei partition assistant. This resulted in a error that said the disks where in a "dynamic mode". None of them where. I verified this using aomei dynamic disk converter. I then tried to use a disk I made earlier using recdisc. This lead to messing up the HDD. It will no longer boot the HDD. I tryed to use the disk to fix the issue and it starts to then the computer reboots and error (0x0000223 I think) is back. Why will ASUS just send the disk with W8 on it with the laptop? For a $1,300 laptop you would think it should. Well, at lest instructions with the laptop to make the disk from your laptop.
Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance for any help provided.
Regards,

Rick

richcj10
01-26-2013, 12:28 AM
OK, so I got it booting by using :

BootRec /RebuildBCD
BootRec /FixBoot
BootRec /FixMBR

Now, back to trying to use the SSD.
Any help would be great.

hsiuwenwu
01-26-2013, 01:16 AM
I have similar problem, and I couldn't get it to work.

I have 2 SSDs, Intel 335 and an OCZ, I tried to install both as secondary drive, it would recognized by W8 for few minutes, but it'll lost in disk management after few minutes.

I tried fresh install, both SSDs would get stuck at "Starting Windows" (prior to installation procedure), and it'll freeze like no responding.

I tried clone by using a desktop PC (which shows both SSDs are working fine), and it would not get boot at all, I turned off Anti-theft and secure settings, but none would help.

Therefore; I contacted ASUS support, they simply asked me to RAM it and get another HDD TH72 back..., so, I didn't go for that and kept trying until I see your post. Looks like there are something preventing TH72 to accept SSD at all.

Hope there's anyone else could come out with an idea.

richcj10
01-26-2013, 01:54 AM
I had to go to work today and use my laptop.
So, before I fixed the Win 8 issue, I used the Plextor M5P to run W7 U for the day.
So, It will use a SSD

rewben
01-26-2013, 01:42 PM
I have similar problem, and I couldn't get it to work.

I have 2 SSDs, Intel 335 and an OCZ, I tried to install both as secondary drive, it would recognized by W8 for few minutes, but it'll lost in disk management after few minutes.

I tried fresh install, both SSDs would get stuck at "Starting Windows" (prior to installation procedure), and it'll freeze like no responding.

I tried clone by using a desktop PC (which shows both SSDs are working fine), and it would not get boot at all, I turned off Anti-theft and secure settings, but none would help.

Therefore; I contacted ASUS support, they simply asked me to RAM it and get another HDD TH72 back..., so, I didn't go for that and kept trying until I see your post. Looks like there are something preventing TH72 to accept SSD at all.

Hope there's anyone else could come out with an idea.

have you tried to disable fast startup in your power plan option? also, goto bios:
1. disable fastboot;
2. disable secure boot control;
3. enable launch csm

hsiuwenwu
01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
have you tried to disable fast startup in your power plan option? also, goto bios:
1. disable fastboot;
2. disable secure boot control;
3. enable launch csm

I enabled launch csm then everything working fine for installing fresh copy of Win7, what is this csm thing? Why is it blocking normal Windows installation process? G75vw didn't come with Win 8 re-installation disk, will I be able to install Win 8 again without purchasing a new copy? Sorry for being a pain, just want to figure things out, thanks.

rewben
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
in order to comply to Microsoft's terms, all machines preloaded with w8 must have secure boot option enabled by default; with that option enabled, only w8 can be installed on these machines (all other OS, e.g. w7,w8 pro, linux will fail to install). the launch csm option allows users to install other OS.

as long as you can get the w8 ISO (e.g. the official channels for now are technet/msdn subscriptions), you can install w8 in the future.

xperiaplayerpro
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Hi little of topic my first post ever. I need help I want to swap out the blu ray for an ssd so I will have 2x hdd 1tb each total 2tb in raid 0 and use the ssd for oppsys . Now my problem is that the blueray bay uses a slimline sata and I can't for the life of me find the right adapter which is female slimline sata to female sata can anyone help or have a similar setup?

rewben
01-27-2013, 11:37 PM
@xperiaplayerpro,

1. find 12.7mm sata-to-sata hdd caddy at local shop or online; something like this (http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4), but beware it's sata-to-sata.
2. if you have a g75, the better option is to replace your current OS drive in hdd bay with ssd (because the hdd bays are sata3, 6gb/s); the ODD port is sata2 (3gb/s) only; so it's better to put your hdd here.

edit: please don't double post :/

xperiaplayerpro
01-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Hi yeah sorry about double post felt a bit rude hijacking this thread, any how great info but will I still be ableto raid my two sata 1tb hdd if one of them is in optical bay. I need to raid them for extra speed because they're only 5000rpm and when I first got my g75vw it was slow because the hdd was bottlenecking my beast of a laptop

rewben
01-28-2013, 06:15 AM
@xperiaplayerpro, honestly, the speed gain from a raid0 5400rpm hdd is not that significant.

i suggest you do this:
1. 1 x 256gb ssd (or more) - for OS, apps, and the most common games that you played.
2. 2 x 1tb hdd - as single discs, not raid; for storage for files (e.g. movies, songs, games); active downloads; you should also remap your documents and settings to the hdds also.
3. you can create a small portion of ram as ram disk and map the folders with high read/write operations to it (e.g. temporary folders, web browser cache)

xperiaplayerpro
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I think that would work well as it is running slow at the moment, only prob is still the optical bay being a slimline sata, oh and did u mean putting 1 of hdd in optical bay and sad and other hdd in front bays ? Cheers for your help