PDA

View Full Version : Odd no bootable device issue g73jw

Multiplatinum
07-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Lately, my laptop was freezing for no reason after a few min of rebooting, now it's working fine for hours, unless i leave it idle while I sleep. I wake up and it seems to have rebooted and says something like 'please select valid boot device' or insert bootable device. Pressing a key just gives me the same message. A power down and reboot solves this problem every time, the first time.

I've ran a scandisk and all that, no errors, I got crystal disk info and the only problem on the drive it found is current pending sector count: 8, and uncorrectable sector count: 8.

Also from all the freezing, I had my antivirus db say it was corrupted so I had to redownload that, and my firewall ip block list corrupted or something (this didn't happen a few months ago when I experienced freezing issues). Also my mirc settings all disappeared (this did happen last time I had freezing issues). The freezing problem I had a few months ago eventually went away. The freezing's gone again, but now I have this weird reboot > no boot device issue.

I'm debating whether to reinstall windows, and then see what happens, and then replace the hd if that doesn't help, but I'm not sure if it's a software issue, a HD issue, or if it's another HW issue. Any ideas?

xeromist
07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
When it is idle is it set to go into sleep or hibernate? It could be a bad recovery from sleep state that you're seeing. One way to test this would be to force it to sleep or hibernate and see what happens when you wake it up.

Multiplatinum
07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I have my laptop set to never sleep, and even when i forcibly set it to sleep it wakes up just fine, I have it set to hibernate when I close lid, and it also comes out of that just fine. It just happened again just now while I was in the shower. It seems to happen only when my computer is idle for now. I came back and the computer was frozen, it blue screened and said a vital process was terminated or stopped and my computer was restarting to protect it blah blah, it also said it failed to write data to drive about the problem before it rebooted and gave me the same 'select valid boot device' error again.

xeromist
07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
It sounds like your hard drive may have some sort of intermittent failure. This may be a sign that it is dying. I would make sure you have a backup of everything important before anything else.

Scan disk doesn't find mechanical problems or controller failure, only bad sectors, so it's still possible that there's something wrong with the drive.

Chastity@ASUS
07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Also the Intel RST drivers have been reported being screwy after sleep/hibernate. I'm going to be updating my links for RST with the last known qualified pack for mobility chipsets. You can also try switching to the Standard AHCI 1.0 Controller driver by Microsoft.

Multiplatinum
07-06-2011, 02:33 AM
I am pretty sure it's not a sleep/hibernation issue. My guess is a mechanical failure in the hd. I've already backed up all my data to an external so I'm good to go if it just randomly dies. It hasn't given me any problems while I've been doing stuff lately, only when I'm idle. If I get too frustrated I'll do a system restore and see if that fixes it. I just find it odd that it always fixes itself if I power down, but if i press 'any key' to retry it will always fail until the power down.

I was hoping someone else might've had this problem, but if they haven't I'm gonna put money on the hd dying. Laptop is only 7 months old though.

Chastity@ASUS
07-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Just for giggles, try swapping bays.

Multiplatinum
07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Laptop just froze on me in the middle of a game, so I guess it's not just when the laptop is idle. Or rather, maybe the freezing issue I had before and the no boot device found was one and the same, I usually just hard reset when my laptop froze before while I was at the computer after all so that's probably why I never saw the no valid boot device error before.

I'll try swapping the hd bays, you can never know what could be the problem after all. If it works it works, and the problem gets narrowed down. :)

update: as I was sitting here i saw my laptop switch to battery mode for about 1s and then back to ac mode.

Chastity@ASUS
07-06-2011, 10:37 PM
You probably wiggled the power adapter plug and lost connection for a second.