PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G46VW Gaming Notebook Inquiry

Primeval
01-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Hello guys. I bought this incredible notebook over an Alienware M14X in later December, and I love it. However, in order for me to love it even more I would like to get assistance in 2 things today.

First and most importantly, I am concerned about gaming performance while my notebook is unplugged from charging. I tested out Far Cry 3 for example, while plugged in it runs flawlessly. However, on the other hand when the notebook isn't plugged in, the gameplay performance drops DRAMATICALLY and becomes unplayable. I made sure that I ran the process on NVIDIA High Performance Processor, and even turned my Power Settings to Power4Gear High Performance when the notebook was unplugged. I even went into the advanced settings and double checked that everything was running on 100%, maximum. Unfortunately, this made no difference.

My question is, how can I go on about making the notebook run everything at the exact same performance when it is unplugged, as when it is plugged in charging? Is it even possible? Because I searched around the web for possibilities, and I am losing hope.

My second inquiry today, on a lighter note (hopefully?), is when I play games (tried a few, all same results) and I hold right click to aim my gun, then use left click to shoot, it doesn't shoot. So basically, when I hold right click, then left click, the left click doesn't register. My left click works fine in games alone otherwise. How do I 'fix' this?

Thanks in advance guys.

Feud
01-27-2013, 05:36 AM
It's common for notebook performance to drop when you unplug because it typically has power saving perimeters that are engaged to keep the battery lasting as long as possible. If you were running maximum performance unplugged it wouldn't last very long at all and you'd be even more disappointed.

Primeval
01-27-2013, 05:50 AM
It's common for notebook performance to drop when you unplug because it typically has power saving perimeters that are engaged to keep the battery lasting as long as possible. If you were running maximum performance unplugged it wouldn't last very long at all and you'd be even more disappointed.

I understand that battery life would greatly decrease at the time, but would this harm my battery long term and/or other components in my laptop? Because if not, I don't mind the battery life draining within say 30 minutes to an hour unplugged and gaming.

be77solo
01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi, I've actually had these same two questions while owning my g46 as well!

I have not found a solution to either yet, but you are the first other person to even acknowledge the touchpad mouse buttons only working one at a time.... glad it's not just me that has this problem.

Primeval
01-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Hi, I've actually had these same two questions while owning my g46 as well!

I have not found a solution to either yet, but you are the first other person to even acknowledge the touchpad mouse buttons only working one at a time.... glad it's not just me that has this problem.

Yep, I am kind of dissapointed this is a 'gaming' notebook, yet it seems like the creators don't even test it out and preset/fix this sort of thing.

Myk SilentShadow
01-28-2013, 03:13 AM
Gamers don't use the touchpads, they're just not designed for that type of use...you're better off using a mouse for your gaming needs...some of the ASUS G series come with mice.....

Primeval
01-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Gamers don't use the touchpads, they're just not designed for that type of use...you're better off using a mouse for your gaming needs...some of the ASUS G series come with mice.....

I do use a mouse, but it's not like I'm just going to ignore this issue.

Primeval
01-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Bump. Anybody know any solutions to both my inquiries?

Pitcher@asus
01-29-2013, 06:45 AM
G serious gaming laptop's bettary, it is for back up power, we design it is not bring go out, so if you unplug adapter, the performace will drop down to helf.

Primeval
01-29-2013, 06:53 AM
G serious gaming laptop's bettary, it is for back up power, we design it is not bring go out, so if you unplug adapter, the performace will drop down to helf.

Yes I understand this part, but do you know a solution to my second problem? Would be appreciated.

Primeval
01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Bump once again.

Primeval
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Bump. I need a solution to this please.

JwPwns
02-01-2013, 05:33 PM
hey, i'm not sure if this helps you but i did it on my own without charger i still get around 100 fps for sc2 with ultra settings, but my battery only last around an hour and half versus the 5 hour without messing with battery settings, the 660m will still turn on n runs even on battery for games, just look into the nvidia settings along with setting the lowest cpu to a higher percentage on battery,

Sinless
02-01-2013, 05:43 PM
As far i know, The G46, G55 and G75 are designed to deliver the best performance while plugged in. If you play unplugged, the performance will drop, this is not a hardware issue, the asus guys designed in this way to improve the battery life.

HulkSmash
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Gaming on battery causes over usage of the battery, as it'll run out so fast, and you'll be recharging it constantly. Which in turn destroys the long term life of the battery. Hardware like this is meant to operate with max power, which unfortunately you can't get from these batteries yet...