PDA

View Full Version : GTX 670MX bios back up

gokica
01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Can someone please provide me via pp the default bios from their GTX 670MX.

I believe that latest nvflash program for DOS can do it but it needs to be run from bootable USB. If you guys have bootable USB and G75VX just download the program:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2165/NVFlash_5.127.html

the command parameter is:

nvflash.exe --save 670mx.rom

I hope that it supports UEFI GOP table. The windows version does not support our eprom and I do not have a spare USB to make it bootable with FAT partition.

The reason is for me to try and play with the options with bios editors. I do not intend to reflash but just to see the list of available options and inform about them.

Thank you.

gokica
01-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Update. I bought a new USB drive and made it bootable. Unfortunately nVflash does not work with this card. Hopefully soon.

SUKARA@ASUS
01-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Yes,Nvflash tool can be backup the VBIOS file,or re-flash and upgrade the graphic card vbios
But,We do not recommend that you update the BIOS, to avoid affecting system stability

gokica
01-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you. I understand that. My intention was just to load it into a Kepler bios editor and roam in to the options just for fun. However I can not find working nvflash for our GTX 670MX. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

povetkin
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
670mx vbios (http://www.sendspace.com/file/8brs1b)

gokica
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Thank you very much. Now a whole new perspective is open for me to start reading and experimenting with the file. I can not find an editor that will open the file. KGB editor as well as the famous Kepler bios editor do not work with it.

But the search continues. I will post results.

BTW which program did you use for extracting the bios?

Once again thank you.

OlMightyG
02-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Hi,
Im also interested in a possibility to modify the bios. Any progress on that?

Greetings

gokica
02-03-2013, 07:07 PM
No progress to be reported from my side.

Since the new hardware (GTX 670MX) and the related drivers have new patterns all of the available utilities that I tried do not work. I can not read the specs of the card in any of those and this is a must before changing the frequencies and the voltage.

Even Nvidia Inspector, which is working for the memory and the GPU, can not fully support GTX 670MX. We have to wait for an update of these utilities before doing anything.

I noticed that on some other forums people played with 675MX so maybe it is possible but I am not aware how.

OlMightyG
02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Is it right that the vbios is integrated in the bios-file?

i have seen a post for the G73. Someone unlocked every hidden bios-setting. So it was possible to easily change e.g. the values for the fans and a lot of other stuff. Any possibility to do that?

gokica
02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I desperately need the procedure for backing up and flashing the Vbios on the GTX 670MX.

Can someone please share with me how can I backup and flash the video bios. The latest NVFlash for Windows does not work.

povetkin, could you please let us know which utility did you use and how you did it.

Thank you.

OlMightyG
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
It may be like with the 660M. The VBIOS is integrated in the BIOS. So you have to save the BIOS (or download the ROM) and extract the VBIOS. A tool you can use is "MMtool". I did not do it but someone else.

gokica
02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
It may be like with the 660M. The VBIOS is integrated in the BIOS. So you have to save the BIOS (or download the ROM) and extract the VBIOS. A tool you can use is "MMtool". I did not do it but someone else.

Thank you. I am going to try this. Does it mean that for flashing the same procedure applies?

Anyway, once I am back from work I will test this tool. Once I figure this out i will keep you posted about unlocked voltage tweaks that could be possible if I succeed in this.

Edit: OK. Got it. This sounds like the solution. OlMightyG thank you very much once again for the pointer.

OlMightyG
02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
You are welcome :)
I would appreciate a possibility to adjust voltages. I would like to undervolt on low frequencies to get a cooler GPU in 2D mode.

Do you see a possibility to enable cool extra settings in the main bios?

gokica
02-07-2013, 08:30 PM
I am afraid I am relying on experts from other forums (Techinferno) to try and open the "Pandora box" for me.

I was not able to read the bios in any of the bios editors currently out there and I do not want to experiment in bios hex editors and probably brick the laptop.

Due to the requests that the forum is getting from other owners of GTX670MX I feel optimistic. I will try to ask for undervoltage options in the modded bios and keep you posted in case I succeed.

If you have 660m than you could address the people at that forum for help.

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

In the link they state that undervolting of 660m is possible and will be done upon interest.

OlMightyG
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
i can understand that ;)
do you think, there will be an editor extra for the g75? im not sure...
how do we reintegrate the vbios in te main bios again? i dont think we can take a modified file and flash it...
no, i dont have the 660m, i have got a g75vx.

gokica
02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
If the creators of KGB bios editor, Nibitor and other similar utilities decide to add support for mobile Kepler cards we will be able to unlock the power of our cards our selves. So far GTX 670MX and 675MX are not supported.

Now if we are lucky enough for Techinferno to provide a modified bios than all we have to do is just to flash a new bios with the so called afuwin flash utility.

This utility can make a backup of the entire laptop bios in which (as you said in your previous post) the VGA bios is incorporated.

Than MMTool can extract only the VGA bios alone from the G75VX bios which was backed up on a hard drive with afuwin. Also it can replace the existing VGA module with a modded one in the backed up bios which can than be reflashed on to the laptop.

OlMightyG
02-07-2013, 11:27 PM
maybe we should submit the 670m bios to the nibitor guys or at least upload it in their forum.

any idea on the hidden bios settings? im asking because the g73 had a huge bunch of things you could change with the unlocked bios.

gokica
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Personally I do not know what can be unlocked (voltage and fans speeds for sure) but for us I believe the most interesting feature is the voltage.

Yes I agree that we should be proactive and raise our issue on the forums and with the creators of the utilities. For example I had back and fourth discussion with W1zzard and that way I helped for adding support for GTX 670MX to GPU-Z. I was testing files on my laptop that he was sending to me via Skype. At the end it was fixed.

OlMightyG
02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
great! i dont have that much time, but as long as it is sure that i wont destroy my g75, i would test the tools too.
But I dont know who to ask for the unlocking BIOS "issue".
I am also interested in the fan control!

gokica
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
For example please see the last posts in the thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-144.html

I am trying to attract as many GTX 670MX users that I can with my posts so that the forum moderator find good will to start modifying the bios. You could join the discussion and follow what is happening for example.

For GPU-Z fix for our card I contacted W1zzard and started working with the guy on possible solution.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Etc.

For Nibitor I do not think that anyone will do much because it has not been updated for quite a while but KGB bios unlocker programmer can be contacted on their forum for example.

I wrote on Nvidia Inspector blog so a Chinesse guy answered with a partial solution but not the creator:

http://blog.orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool

Goran = gokica in there.

Once we get to the test files we can both try those on our laptops and provide feedback for the creators. Mutual benefit, isn't it. :D

jakwolf67
03-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Hi, can you or anyone with this upload it again? The download isn't available anymore and I need it to fix a GTX 670MX vbios in a ROG G75VX

Dreamonic
03-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Here you go: 670MX VBIOS (http://voltground.com/vbioses/ASUS.G75VX.670MX.zip)

jakwolf67
03-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Here you go: 670MX VBIOS (http://voltground.com/vbioses/ASUS.G75VX.670MX.zip)
Fantastic! Thanks!

Edit: Damn, my G75VX monitor still doesn't detect in POST/BIOS/Windows.
It's been on ongoing issue since I tried to overclock it with a custom vbios before. The laptop's monitor was basically not the default display, but I was able to switch Nvidia display settings to at-least have Windows use it as the primary. In POST/BIOS, the laptop's monitor would only display if I connected & disconnected an external HDMI monitor during the startup... i would get the tail end of the ROG loading screen. Strange...

Now, after restoring the official .206 bios from ASUS using the laptop's Ctrl+Home method, the monitor doesn't detect at all. External HDMI monitor works fine. Windows device manager doesn't show anything for it.

I attempted to copy the current bios, inject the original 670MX vbios per steps in http://voltground.com/haven/threads/3/#post-29 (for G75) and everything passed at the end, but still the issue persists.

Is this possibly just the monitor hardware failing or something really stubborn outside of bios & vbios, such as in the monitor firmware itself??
PERHAPS...is there a way to unlock an "Initial Display" Setting in the BIOS to custom flash and just set the monitor back to default manually?
I've scanned through the G75VX 206 bios options in AMIBCP (aptio 4) and can't find this setting - to unlock it would require setting access privileges from default to USER - correct?

Did some power cycles - removed battery and held power for 60 seconds - nothing.
Removed battery, removed CMOS battery, removed graphics and monitor - let it all sit for hours - reconnected - nothing.

Attempted to boot holding 2 seperate CMOS reset jumpers near the bottom 2 ram ports individually (further clear the CMOS) while booting but the laptop just boots so I don't think I'm doing it correctly. You bridge their hairthin gap, correct? tried various flip tip screwdrivers without luck. (JRST2001 and JRST2002) I've only attempted shorting their gaps individually, not all 4 together and not 2 shorts at the same time.
72185 72186

Also, I've tried to restore the original .206 bios in Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT) renaming it to g75vx.rom but I get a warning:

"Warning: Not all of the file data will be written to flash because the file is longer than the flash area to be written to!
File: "g75vx.rom"
File Length: 6293504
Write Length: 6291456
Do you want to continue? Y/<N> or q to quit:

I don't trust continuing when the Ctrl+Home method and ASUS EZ-Flash don't report this.

Dreamonic
03-10-2018, 10:16 PM
So v206 was the System BIOS you were using when you inserted V1 (modified VBIOS version for 670MX) and flashed it?

What model (SKU) is your VX? What model of screen do you have: AUO, Chi Mei or Samsung?

Did you happen to change any boot modes around post SBIOS dump?

It is stated in the datasheet image above regarding what to do (and not do) with JRST2001 and JRST2002. Yes, you shunt (short the two contact points together) either to JRST2001 or JRST2002 (depending on the recovery needed), but not both together. When shunting either of those, it is unlikely going to do any good as it has been found to only reset memory configuration, and time/date. BIOS settings are stored in NVRAM immediately after saving and exiting the BIOS. There is no way to restore notebook BIOS settings with a simple task such as with an onboard jumper, CMOS battery removal, or switch like you would find on desktop MBs, or even a secondary BIOS chip that can used for recovery even.

There is no point attempting to reset the EC with multiple battery pulls as this is not where the issue resides. Nothing wrong with having tried that, but I'm just stating that it isn't related to the EC here. Most likely it's NVRAM configuration parameters are not being restored properly with the write of just the BIOS region.

I think what happened is that the LFP (basically the laptop display) is for some reason, set to use the iGPU for boot display at POST. ASUS disabled the iGPU in their Optimus free ROG lineups, so it almost seems like that's exactly what is happening. It's not strange to me why after you flashed with a modified VBIOS in replace of the stock one would cause this, as it requires a BIOS "region" write for it to apply afterwards, which is exactly where data corruption is likely to occur. The G75 notebooks are notorious for bricking by just changing the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. So I can't exactly suggest defaulting BIOS settings and changing the boot modes on the fly to try some fixes out, as you may not POST afterwards and a BIOS recovery will be required to continue (use of a programmer).

In AMIBCP, there are options for LCD Control in the Chipset menu. I have not experimented with any of the options listed for LCD Control. But I do have a possible solution below...

What I was thinking might be worth a shot was to flash the SBIOS from a working G75VX that has the internal display working in hopes of having the NVRAM configuration parameters restored. In case there is corruption with your current stored values, despite appearing in the BIOS menus as being correct (with the additional menus unlocked). There is just the risk of bricking your notebook after the flash because this SBIOS will be from another working system, and as noted before, the G75 BIOS corrupts very easily when multiple values are changed, let alone just changing OpROM policies/boot modes. If you had a programmer nearby, I'd say let's try this out. But I'm not going to do it if you are without one.

It could very well be a corrupted EDID, and if so, I'd recommend to contact Mr. Fox and t456 from the NBR forum regarding that process of recovery. Link here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/).

The write size error with FPT is because of the 2KB AMI Aptio capsule (0x0 - 0x7FF) difference between a dumped BIOS (6144KB) and one off ASUS Support site (6146KB) for your model of notebook. The Easy Flash Utility needs the capsule intact to use the BIOS recovery procedure AFAIK.

jakwolf67
03-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I will take the laptop apart soon to confirm the parts.
I'm getting the eprom programmer kit you recommended (per https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TL866A-USB-Universal-Minipro-Programmer-EEPROM-FLASH-8051-AVR-MCU-GAL-PIC-SPI-/221197938454)
I want to push this baby further and attempt the fix.

I will let you know when it arrives. Feel free to upload the files at the moment, I won't do anything until the eprom programmer arrives (might take time from China).

jakwolf67
03-28-2018, 07:19 PM
Ok, I've got the programmer from this kit (TL866A & EEPROM FLASH 8051).
Who has a working SBIOS they can share for the G75VX.

Motherboard (SKU) G75VX-BHI7N11 / Check Number: 7040 / MFD: 2012-11 12M

Monitor: Chi Mei - Innolux - N173HGE -L11 Rev.C1 (KWC1B1Y352001A)

No, I didn't change any boot modes after the SBIOS dump.

Update: Awww man, I saw you took down your Voltground website :( :( I respect your decision, I can see why the energy was so strong in your hobby.

There's a mirror for September 2017 in WayBackMachine https://web.archive.org/web/20170923194324/http://voltground.com:80/haven/

hackthis02
04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Thanks for posting the WayBackMachine link. Does anyone still have the 670MX VBIOS?

LilBosmah
08-08-2018, 08:05 PM
I second that. Does anyone have or know where to find the 670mx vbios?