PDA

View Full Version : Asus g73sw video card issue.

kingfame
01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Well for starters I've had my g73sw happily for almost 2 years now. Though lately it has been acting up, to an extent that makes the computer almost nonuseable. Out of warranty about 5 months ago, lucky me no?

The issues:
1. When booting up sometimes the screen never comes on, which results in me restarting the computer several times until the screen starts.
2. Shuttering and lagging in games, this began about 3 months ago, games I used to play a while ago perfectly started lagging heavily in games.
3. Videocard keeps crashing and recovering successfully, rendering everything I do or try to do nonexistent. (Other than the use of word)

The solutions (I've tried so far and failed):
1. Repasted GPU 2wice.
2. Factory reset it, 2wice.
3. Uninstalled the video card completely and did a clean installation.
4. Used throttlestop to no avail.
5. Planning on reinstalling windows (hopefully thats the charm, but I have my doubts)

So on to you guys, any suggestions, I've searched through the entire forum and tried out every solution to no avail, this may be a repetitive problem but no one has fixed it.

I don't want a 1300 paperweight that can barely do Word, why did I leave my 2005, Dimension 3000 Dell desktop for anyways?

dstrakele
01-27-2013, 07:11 PM
If you hook your laptop up to an external monitor or HDTV, does video display on the external monitor when the laptop display is black?

From what I've read of the "boot to black screen" issue, it's always a hardware problem - failing or poorly-seated GPU, defective or poorly-connected LVDS cable, defective laptop display, or bad capacitors.

You also report reduced video performance and TDR errors, so a failing GPU appears to be the more likely cause. The external monitor test will help to confirm it.

kingfame
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I used to actually have it always connected to my HDTV. On the startup I never really tried it, but when it would be connected and the video card would crash everything would crash. I also played with the RTD a bit, I turned it off, set it a 40sec instead of 2, to no avail. So what would be a solution?

dstrakele
01-27-2013, 07:59 PM
If the video crashes in a TDR Error, that will always display on both monitors. The key is if you start up your laptop, it boots to the Windows Desktop, and both the external monitor and laptop display are black (and it is configured to display a duplicate or extended desktop).

If this is the behavior you observe, VGA replacement or reflow (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28121-Problem-with-my-Video-color-!-Help-me-please-!!) is the solution.

If the external monitor displays video while the laptop display does not, then it's likely to be a poorly-connected LVDS cable or defective laptop display.

Pitcher@asus
01-28-2013, 03:50 AM
i suggest you send back to check, because when you connecter to external monitor are no problem. if you just connecter one monitor the problem occur?

kingfame
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
so well, latest update is that I formatted my computer 2wice 100% percent and reinstalled windows fresh. So far so good, will keep you updated.

kingfame
02-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Well its back again, and its probably worse than before. When it crashes now it restarts the computer.

evga
02-03-2013, 06:44 AM
what I would suggest is remove the heatsink and apply a bit more thermal compound and remove the spring lock on gpu heatsink screws and and a spring that has more tension on it, that what I do to fix the vga cards that needs a reflow. let me know with your results.

kingfame
02-10-2013, 09:16 PM
well I did remove the heatsink and apply more pressure, I don't think its a temperature issue or reflow issue. As of now I haven't turned off my computer and I haven't received the problem for the past 3 days. So I'm guessing its some sort of setting thats set everytime the laptop resets.

kingfame
02-21-2013, 05:31 AM
New discovery, video card crashes 90% only when in chrome, that may be the issue.

evga
02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
only when in chrome ?

kingfame
02-25-2013, 06:04 AM
New development I think flash is causing the problem with the browser, because regardless of the browser, IE, Firefox or chrome it still crashes when its on a brower. Not when its playing full specs of skyrim though...

kingfame
03-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Another new discovery I can play crysis 3 but I can't use adobe flash, which means I had to revert to using Safari in order to avoid crashes...

Flints
03-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Hello Kingframe.

I have the exact same problem with my G73SW-3DE. Updated latest drivers last time I could keep it opened long enough. One question though...how could it be a GPU failure if its been doing that for so long. My problem occurs pretty much randomly and I didnt find anything that helps. I dont know about you but mine wont restart even after 20 shutdowns. The only way I can restart it is when I let it powered down without battery or power cord for a long time.

Flints
03-02-2013, 07:11 PM
May be funny but smaking the back of my screen and pushing on it started back the display and I ran into a memory diagnostic tool at the startup... (See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12668-ASUS-G74SX-Screen-Not-Working&p=229454&viewfull=1#post229454 for the smacking display) If that wasnt a coincidence then I think it might be with a loose screen connection

kingfame
03-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Have you opened it up by any chance and checked the connections. I thought initially it was just a GPU failure. But later on I discovered that it was purely crashing just from Adobe Flash. Adobe flash is on many websites, and is used to run video players like youtube, dailymotion, hulu etc... So after discovering that it wasn't a chrome issue, but rather a flash issue I started using safari, and thankfully it doesn't crash when I use safari.
What I have done so far to my computer is:
-Factory Reset it (twice)
-Reinstall windows
-Repaste the GPU twice (only do so if you know what your doing and if it is a temperature problem and if your out of warranty)
-Uninstall video card, and use CC cleaner to completely remove any traces of the video driver.
-Install the video driver on a clean install, go into custom and press clean.

So far its good, it can play all kinds of games, Skyrim on full specs, Crysis 3 on med specs(still loooks amazing), and I can watch upto 1080p movies seamlessly.

Flints
03-03-2013, 02:47 PM
And Its been how much time since it didnt crash again ?

Flints
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
And...I started using chrome a couple weeks ago, when this problem started occuring...so you just might be right

kingfame
03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Well the thing is, it sporadically crashes now.... Its when I'm using a browser for sure. The other issue is when I turn on my computer sometimes it doesn't turn on the screen, so I have to like restart it three or four times so that it can work properly.

Flints
03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Its exactly what happens to me now as well. Didnt happen again that screen wouldnt turn on when powering on but crashes on games while I have firefox oppened at the same time. Why does safari doesnt crash, do you know ?

Flints
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
After reading the crash dump files of todays crashes...happens to be with the nvlddmkm.sys file in the driver folder (C://windows/system32/drivers/). I fixed the file and am now looking to test if it works

kingfame
03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Safari doesn't crash because it doesn't have flash built in.