PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G46VW: Can I order the lower clam-shell for my unit

dclanz
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi all, I have a rather strange request. I recently had to take apart my unit to install a SSD and while doing so I left some tiny indentations on the narrow strip on either side. I was contemplating getting some sort of putty to put there and paste, but then I thought...why not order both lower halves and just swap the insides myself? S0 I'm wondering, does ASUS sell the shells of the laptops (specifically the G46VW)? If not, can anyone recommend how I can go about getting the indentations fixed? Attached pics.

SUKARA@ASUS
01-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Like this?

dclanz
01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Like this?

Hi Sukara, no not the bay (I've got the G46VW) but the entire lower half of the laptop (which houses mobo and everything else). Is it possible to do a RMA and pay for the replacement shell and get everything swapped? I'll need to know whom to contact in the US etc. :)

dclanz
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Bump...anyone?

xeromist
01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
FWIW, I've never seen any of the chassis parts for sale new. My guess is the best you could do would be to get a donor panel from a dead machine but I'm guessing it will be a while before dead ones start showing up on Ebay.

Then again I'm not an ASUS employee so I don't know everything. I'm just speaking from what I've seen being an ASUS enthusiast for many years.

dclanz
01-29-2013, 10:37 PM
FWIW, I've never seen any of the chassis parts for sale new. My guess is the best you could do would be to get a donor panel from a dead machine but I'm guessing it will be a while before dead ones start showing up on Ebay.

Then again I'm not an ASUS employee so I don't know everything. I'm just speaking from what I've seen being an ASUS enthusiast for many years.

Ah, thanks for the reply! I'm wondering if I can send it to an ASUS store in the US to have it switched. I'm also thinking about trying some plasti-dip although some sort of paste to pass over the surface (to fill the tiny indentations) should work.

be77solo
01-30-2013, 12:52 AM
For repairs I wouldn't use plasti-dip... sounds like a mess waiting to happen :-) You could possibly lightly sand the edge but that would require disassembly again.

As a side note to any others with the g46 reading that will be taking theirs apart... getting the top keyboard panel off is a PITA as shown here... best tip is to pop it loose at the back and then gently pop it open down the length with a flat soft plastic tool... I used an expired plastic gift card/credit card. It will snap free as you work it down and won't damage the case.

Pitcher@asus
01-30-2013, 04:03 AM
search asus estore, if not, send back to asus service center, i think it would be good by youself to switch.

dclanz
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check the estore or just send it to the service centre as recommended. :)