PDA

View Full Version : Cant figure out what G75 I have.

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 12:17 AM
On the box it says G75V and G75VW in places. What is the difference between V and VW and also is the VX better than both?

EDIT: See why I was confused

rewben
01-28-2013, 12:44 AM
the box there should be a barcode under CUSTOMER P/N. just below that barcode is something like G75VW/X-yyyyy. that's your full model code.

V is the base; VW is older than VX.

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 12:45 AM
the box there should be a barcode under CUSTOMER P/N. just below that barcode is something like G75VW/X-yyyyy. that's your full model code.

V is the base; VW is older than VX.
So VW is better than V... or is it the same thing?

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 01:59 AM
blump I NEED TO KNOW

Myk SilentShadow
01-28-2013, 02:54 AM
impatient much? sheesh. The V is the base model, though it's not manufactured. The VW is what's known as an SKU(what that means...I got no clue) and the VX is the newer, better model. As Rewben above posted, look at the sticker under your laptop to find which one you have....or look at the receipt you got and the model should be on there too :)

Zygomorphic
01-28-2013, 02:59 AM
VW is the older variant, I have never seen the G75V persay, any more than people forget to type the last character. ASUS tends to use a 2-character code after the number. This is the break-down of the ASUS naming scheme patterns from what I can tell.
First letter - intended audience (G-gaming, N-audio, B-business, etc)
1 digit - screen size (3-13",5-15",7-17",etc...)
1 digit - model line number (higher number is newer)
two letters - revision code (slightly different hardware)

That's the best I can do, and there are plenty of exceptions, but I hope it makes ASUS naming scheme a little more clear! :)

Short answer: G75VW is the original, G75VX is the newer model. Not much in the way of a performance difference between the two...from what I understand.

Zygomorphic
01-28-2013, 03:01 AM
@ROGaddict, please be patient. People on this forum are from all over the world, so it may night time or work time for them when you post. If you don't get a response in 24 hours, then bumping makes sense.

@Myk, this help? :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock-keeping_unit

Myk SilentShadow
01-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Cheers mate, helps understand a little better :)

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 05:10 AM
Okay I understand now. Sorry I bumped it but on the forum I use, when I post something it gets answered within 30 seconds. So I am use to getting a quick responce, sorry guys.

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 05:20 AM
The reason I got confused is because it says Both G75V and G75VW see..

tkolarik
01-28-2013, 05:38 AM
You have the Best Buy version ....BBK5. The cheap one like I have!

You probably should hide your product code also when you post the pix.

rewben
01-28-2013, 05:52 AM
@ROGaddict, sorry i needed to sleep :/

and please take down the picture. you have g75vw-bbk5; about the naming scheme, @Myk SilentShadow and @Zygomorphic explained well enough.

@tkolarik, it's not a 'cheap' version; to me it's a smart choice, because you can save from that price and use the balance to get more hardware; that's more value for your money.

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Wy to hide product code?

tkolarik
01-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Hide the Windows key...anyone can use it to install Windows 7 and when too many people do it, MS will block it so you will not be able to activate an install.

Call it what ever you want, I bought it also for the low price and looks. If i knew about the crappy speaker problem I would have bought the MSI unit. I knew it had a cheapy HD and WiFi card, Opps, a frugal hard drive and WiFi card. I installed an SSD, bought a nice USB headset and have a primo WiFi card which I am just waiting for me to grow a set of cajones to attempt that upgrade.

Zygomorphic
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah, that and your product ID. The product ID is not as important, but it allows people to get a warranty RMA in your place, which would be unfortunate.

The BestBuy model is a good buy, provided that it has 1080p. After that, the CPUs/GPUs are essentially similar, and you can upgrade the RAM and HDDs yourself for less.

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah, that and your product ID. The product ID is not as important, but it allows people to get a warranty RMA in your place, which would be unfortunate.

The BestBuy model is a good buy, provided that it has 1080p. After that, the CPUs/GPUs are essentially similar, and you can upgrade the RAM and HDDs yourself for less.

Yeah I took the picture down, also where would I buy the upgraded RAM and HDD and how much $ are we talking.

Zygomorphic
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah I took the picture down, also where would I buy the upgraded RAM and HDD and how much $ are we talking.
Here is one of the best online shops: newegg.com

Their prices are really good, and I have heard really good things about them in terms of customer service.

As to the actual price, well, that depends on what you want to upgrade, and how much.
Adding an SSD: $100-500 (128-512 GB)
Adding more RAM: $50-$150 (total:16 GB-32 GB)

ROGaddict
01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Here is one of the best online shops: newegg.com

Their prices are really good, and I have heard really good things about them in terms of customer service.

As to the actual price, well, that depends on what you want to upgrade, and how much.
Adding an SSD: $100-500 (128-512 GB)
Adding more RAM: $50-$150 (total:16 GB-32 GB)
What are the benifits of RAM and SSD... faster?

john_from_ohio
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Most people really do not need more than 8 gb of RAM ( which yours should have ) ... but RAM upgrades are cheap.

Putting in a Solid State Drive ( SSD ) gives you tremendously faster startup / shutdown times and much better overall snappier performance when using the laptop.