PDA

View Full Version : New G75 owner

smidge710
01-28-2013, 06:29 AM
hey guys, just purchased a g75 from best buy the other day. This is the first computer i've owned in years. It came pre loaded with windows 8, which i was pretty dissapointed and unhappy about i dont really like the UI. but have downloaded start8 to give me back a more traditional feel. I just have been out of the game for so long i dont really know what i need to do to keep my pc running smooth, and keeping all drivers and everything up to date and whatnot, and what ill need to do to be able to play games on this laptop. Thanks guys!

Gorman
01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Drivers: visit manufacturer websites or the ASUS website. If you google "drivers for G75 asus" you should get the ASUS driver list for that model. Anything else you can find from the part's manufacturer's website.

Running smoothly: IMO reinstall windows at least once a year and that's it.

To play games: Get games, don't run tons of **** in the background (antivirus and firewalls especially slow your computer down, but MSN/Skype/too many browser tabs/etc definitely don't help)

Pitcher@asus
01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
you can serarch ROG for clean install guide for G75.

Tomislav
01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
You could use CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) It's a nice free software that now works with win8. It manages start up items, uninstalls, cleans/fixes registry (be sure to save it) and unnecessary stuff from your web browser. I've been using it for a long time, serves me well. It's good to defragment your HDD (just HDD not SSD) once in a while, and maybe use some of those deleting software for files you want to trully be wiped out of your system. Beside those advice already written that should make your machine work smooth. Enjoy your G, as I really enjoy mine.

ashue
01-28-2013, 05:09 PM
you can take a look at this one.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?149-G75-G55-amp-G46-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS

go have fun and enjoy with your machine. you can always do an upgrade of ram and hard drive if you want as well for additional storage and performance boost.

john_from_ohio
01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
I just have been out of the game for so long i dont really know what i need to do to keep my pc running smooth, and keeping all drivers and everything up to date and whatnot, and what ill need to do to be able to play games on this laptop.

My recommendations:
1) figure out what your backup and recovery strategy is going to be with this machine. ( I would recommend an external hard drive and use the old style Win 7 backup and imaging techniques ).
2) install antivirus and anti malware combo. Ditch mcaffee immediately if that is part of the bundle. Personally I find latest Norton Internet security suite along with Malware Bytes Anti Malware ( MBAM pro ) to work smoothly together. Minimal overhead and they do not fight for resources.

Your machine should be recent enough that most all the drivers and etc should be reasonable.

smidge710
01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
My recommendations:
1) figure out what your backup and recovery strategy is going to be with this machine. ( I would recommend an external hard drive and use the old style Win 7 backup and imaging techniques ).

Not exactly sure what you mean by this?

Also i forgot to mention this laptop will be used for music/videos. editing, gaming, and web browsing.
I am currently running Webroot

smidge710
01-29-2013, 01:30 AM
so i went to this website
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

downloaded everything on there and updated everything, i could not figure out the first bios file though.. and also was wondering what the intel manageability engine firmware recovery agent is for, i installed that as well... I tried to install the intel rapid storage technology driver also, but it would not let me...

srmojuze
01-29-2013, 02:25 AM
so i went to this website
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

downloaded everything on there and updated everything, i could not figure out the first bios file though.. and also was wondering what the intel manageability engine firmware recovery agent is for, i installed that as well... I tried to install the intel rapid storage technology driver also, but it would not let me...

BIOS file is for "flashing" the BIOS, until you are sure how to do this don't worry as it can be a risky thing. Enjoy...!

tkolarik
01-29-2013, 04:02 AM
I would not recommend running any registry cleaner like ccleaner as a routine maintenance task. Registry cleaners should only be run if there is a specific problem that cannot be resolved "properly". And unless there is a feature in a bios update that you specifically need, don't update the bios. I lost an Asus mainboard that way, it was warranted but the downtime was a pain.

smidge710
01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
well i downloaded and installed the bios utility

smidge710
01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
I also read that i should have run furmark when i first got my g75, also create backup disks. Is it to late to do this? How does frmark work, never even heard of it

Tomislav
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
I would not recommend running any registry cleaner like ccleaner as a routine maintenance task. Registry cleaners should only be run if there is a specific problem that cannot be resolved "properly". And unless there is a feature in a bios update that you specifically need, don't update the bios. I lost an Asus mainboard that way, it was warranted but the downtime was a pain.
well you can save your reg files in CCleaner(so you can go back if you mess something up) and it's useful for a bunch of other stuff. I'm really fond of this app, been running it for ages on different win versions.

btw. just wanted to add that it is super nice that a bunch of people is trying to help a new user. I really love the crowd on this forum. thumbs up everyone!;)