PDA

View Full Version : Possible to get 4 hours of battery (internet surfing, word processing) from G55VW?

boomandvibe
01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Asus release G46vw but it doesn't have a good lcd and it's really hard to swap out the stock HDD with SSD.

I'd like to buy G55VW instead since it has nice screen and easy upgradability but since it doesn't have Optimus, battery life will be terrible.

I'd like to get at least 3:30 - 4 hours of battery from G55vw from school, taking notes and web surfing.

Is there a work around to limit CPU to minimal and GPU to minimal to get the most battery?

taz291819
01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Can't really answer your question, but you could always get a second battery.

WontonNoodle
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
how do you get a second battery?

Zygomorphic
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
I can get 3.5 hours out of my G53SX with WiFi off. Web-surfing and bright screens burn up the most battery of anything.

wannagofast
01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I get around 3.5 hours with my G75 with a battery that is 6 months old and has a wear rate of 6%. Also, that is with brightness all the way down the whole time and not doing any cpu/gpu intensive activities, mostly lite web surfing and stuff while I'm watching TV and the machine being at idle a good portion of the time. The main thing here is the brightness all the way down being about the only way to squeeze any descent life from your battery.

srmojuze
01-29-2013, 02:27 AM
how do you get a second battery?

Something like this: http://www.excaliberpc.com/620511/asus-8-cell-battery-for-g55.html
(Just what I found, haven't used them before...)

Pitcher@asus
01-29-2013, 03:36 AM
G serious battery it like back up battery, so it battery life will not longer.

Myk SilentShadow
01-29-2013, 04:14 AM
Best way to get optimal use out of your battery? use the built-in Windows Power plans, you can customize them however you like ie shut off wifi if you're not using it at a specific time, or disable the on board NIC...anything that can be turned on and off with the press of a button, or in conjunction with a Fn key can be easily disabled when not in use :)

Tomislav
01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Best way to get optimal use out of your battery? use the built-in Windows Power plans, you can customize them however you like ie shut off wifi if you're not using it at a specific time, or disable the on board NIC...anything that can be turned on and off with the press of a button, or in conjunction with a Fn key can be easily disabled when not in use :) I use this tactics and I can squeeze up to 3,5 hours on battery. Be shure te check your startup programs (a bunch of stuff can be on without you even knowing it)