PDA

View Full Version : G75 VW Memory Speed and Upgrade

JMSPT
01-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Hello everyone,
I just upgraded my G75 VW to Windows 8 and now I wanto to add more memory, at the moment has 16GB but I wanted to upgrade to 32GB, can I do that, does the laptop support 32GB memory (I know that the CPU does, but what about the board...)?

Besides that I decided to run CPU-Z and appears that the memory is not running at 1600mhz as I though that would be, but at 800 MHz, what's going wrong here?

I'm including the CPU-Z report for anyone that could look at it and help me with this.

Back to the beginning, this laptop support 32GB? What memory do you recommend (FAST FAST Memory has the laptop can handle) - please post a link Amazon or something similar (with prices :)).

Thank you for your help.

GottiBoi55
01-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Hello everyone,
I just upgraded my G75 VW to Windows 8 and now I wanto to add more memory, at the moment has 16GB but I wanted to upgrade to 32GB, can I do that, does the laptop support 32GB memory (I know that the CPU does, but what about the board...)?

Besides that I decided to run CPU-Z and appears that the memory is not running at 1600mhz as I though that would be, but at 800 MHz, what's going wrong here?

I'm including the CPU-Z report for anyone that could look at it and help me with this.

Back to the beginning, this laptop support 32GB? What memory do you recommend (FAST FAST Memory has the laptop can handle) - please post a link Amazon or something similar (with prices :)).

Thank you for your help.

You are getting 800 MHz (edit: DDR dual channel memory) will 'bench" that way!
So 800 MHz times two (edit: with DDR dual channel memory) = 1600 MHz.

Edit: Sorry my bad, I meant DDR dual channel memory.

You should be good to go with 32GB, just make sure you get the correct timing CL11 (11,11,11,28)
But keep in mind, there's two memory slots that's not user accessible, you will void the warranty to access them!

PS: Oh BTW, Win8 (64Bit) supports up to 128GB of memory, and Win 8 Pro(64 Bit) 512GB!>>>>Source (http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/windows8/memory-144083)

Pitcher@asus
01-29-2013, 02:50 AM
i suggest you follow the spec from ASUS support site, that would be getting best performance and stability.

JMSPT
01-29-2013, 08:49 AM
ok, thank you for the resposnses.
How can I access the hidden memory slots (do you have a link to a tutorial)?

"i suggest you follow the spec from ASUS support site, that would be getting best performance and stability."
Can you post the link?

Zygomorphic
01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Question: How many slots does CPU-Z say are occupied? If only two, then the hidden slots are usually the ones occupied, and you can just take the back of the notebook off and add 16 GB of RAM (following @GottiBoi55's constraints on timing) without a problem. Otherwise, it is a serious disassembly job.

JMSPT
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
unfortunately, all 4 slots are occupied...
:(

- Is it so difficult to add 4 memory cards (8GB each)? Any tutorials on that?
- If I saw some tutorial about that I could decide if I can handle that job, if not, I was thinking about removing 2 of the memory cards (from the visible slots) AND add 2 with 8GB each - then I would end with 8+8+4+4 = 24GB - (in this case what precautions should I need to consider - I'm thinking about memory compatibility with the existing ones ).

Thank you

srmojuze
01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
[COLOR=#ffffff]You are getting 800 MHz per channel, Dual channel will 'bench" that way!
So 800 MHz times two channels = 1600 MHz.

Er... That's not because of dual-channel, 800mhz = 1600mhz because it is "double data rate". :)

rewben
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
unfortunately, all 4 slots are occupied...
:(

- Is it so difficult to add 4 memory cards (8GB each)? Any tutorials on that?
- If I saw some tutorial about that I could decide if I can handle that job, if not, I was thinking about removing 2 of the memory cards (from the visible slots) AND add 2 with 8GB each - then I would end with 8+8+4+4 = 24GB - (in this case what precautions should I need to consider - I'm thinking about memory compatibility with the existing ones ).

Thank you

- it's not hard, just tedious; here's the teardown (http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual); but i think you can stop at the point where you can access the hidden ram slots.

- you can check here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&p=168646&viewfull=1#post168646) for steps that you need to know if you do not touch the hidden slots (keeping the stock ram).

i used to run 2x8gb kingston ram along with stock ram (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20084-Adding-RAM-to-G75VW-BBK5&p=139908&viewfull=1#post139908).

JMSPT
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Ok, thank you for the answers.

One final question, I also have a G75 VX model (bought a couple a days ago).

I noitice that I don't have the software to do the disk image to DVD's nor Windows8 serial key.

I was planning to do the disk image (after I do the BIOS updates, driver uptes etc...), what software should I use to perform the installation images? And Why this new laptopt does not have windows 8 serial key?

Thank you.

rewben
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
you can use macrium reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) or windows file backup in control panel to create the recovery image. to get the w8 key, use keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/). your w8 key now is embedded into bios, so there is no w8 serial key sticker anymore.

JMSPT
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Ok, last one, how do I enter in BIOS mode in the G75 VX? Tried several Fxx nothing seems to work !!!

thank you

rewben
01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
you can try restart your pc and when POST spam your esc key / f2 key; if it's not working, goto your active power plan and disable fast startup.

JMSPT
01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
disable fast startup did the trick, thank you.

GottiBoi55
01-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Er... That's not because of dual-channel, 800mhz = 1600mhz because it is "double data rate". :)

Sorry, my bad!
Thx for reminding me about that!

PS: Made edit

Tomislav
01-30-2013, 12:40 AM
you can use macrium reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) or windows file backup in control panel to create the recovery image. to get the w8 key, use keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/). your w8 key now is embedded into bios, so there is no w8 serial key sticker anymore. here's the same question you've got from me the other day. rewben you should really post a thread about this and someone should make it sticky (this sounds so wrong :) ) ! It will save you a bunch of typing rewben. And as MS changed their ways with win 8 I guess a bunch of people will ask about this.

fostert
01-30-2013, 06:13 AM
i suggest you follow the spec from ASUS support site, that would be getting best performance and stability.

No offence, but I suggest you ignore ASUS max memory specs for the G75 and go for 32GB, that is if you want to open it up to repopulate the two slots under the keyboard. I have had 32GB running in my G74 for over a year now, and its been the most stable machine I have ever owned, not to mention the highest performing. My timings are 1333MHz at 9-9-9-24. You may have to settle for looser timings if you are planning to put in 1600MHz stuff.

rewben
01-30-2013, 07:36 AM
i am hoping for 4x16gb sticks to confirm that the cpu can actually support 64gb haha! but i guess i have to wait for quite a while

Zygomorphic
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
i am hoping for 4x16gb sticks to confirm that the cpu can actually support 64gb haha! but i guess i have to wait for quite a while

I don't think those exist yet. :( As to timings, if you don't get aggressive, you shouldn't have too many problems.

rewben
01-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't think those exist yet. :( As to timings, if you don't get aggressive, you shouldn't have too many problems.

so true; just hope this laptop can survive until then lol!

fostert
01-31-2013, 06:19 AM

Yeah, I'm waiting for those too! You can get 1x16GB DDR3 sticks now for desktops/servers,
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=78668&vpn=KVR16R11D4%2F16HM&manufacture=Kingston

so I imagine 1x16GB SODIMMs aren't that far off.

Zygomorphic
01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for those too! You can get 1x16GB DDR3 sticks now for desktops/servers,
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=78668&vpn=KVR16R11D4%2F16HM&manufacture=Kingston

so I imagine 1x16GB SODIMMs aren't that far off.

Actually, you can get 1x32 GB sticks as well, but they are insanely expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239425

JMSPT
01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Hello Guys,

Now I'm really worried, I have no option to boot from CD/DVD in the G75VX???

How am I supposed to install any OS or recover from an image (DVDs) to the G75VX if I CAN'T boot from CD/DVD?
I try to do this in my other laptopt "G75VW", and if I press esc at boot time I have the option to choose where to boot from, BUT in the G75VX I CAN'T do that and I don't see the option to change that in BIOS??!!

Any help please...

rewben
02-01-2013, 01:49 AM
in bios:

1. disable secure boot control; disable fast boot;
2. enable launch csm.

you might need to disable fast startup option in your active power plan. spam esc/f2 key during POST.

Organmaster
02-01-2013, 03:18 AM
I just used Macrium Reflect to clone my 1 TB drive onto a Seagate Momentus XT. The cloning took all of 25 minutes, and it booted up on the new drive without a glitch. Highly recommend it.

If you peruse the other threads, you'll see that there are no DVD backup/recovery disks. Also, evidently the Windows 8 tool to create a USB flash drive backup doesn't work to migrate to a new drive either. Gotta bless ASUS on that one.

Keyfinder worked great to find my Activation Key for Win8.

I'm also planning on adding two 8GB ram chips to give me 24.

Scott in SLC
New G75VW-BH17NO7, Win 8
Seagate Monmentus XT 750 GB, 7200 rpm + Samsung 1 TB 5400
8 GB RAM, soon to be 24 GB

fostert
02-01-2013, 04:22 AM
24GB is a great amount of RAM that'll keep your notebook future-proof for quite a while! Good show. Be sure to set aside 4-8GB for a RAMdisk, and you can probably turn off the windows pagefile too and reclaim that disk space.

fostert
02-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Actually, you can get 1x32 GB sticks as well, but they are insanely expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239425

Holy crap...I did not know of these! Imagine 128GB of **memory** on your server mainboard! Sheesh...I remember when upgrading from 1MB to 4MB cost me nearly $500, but it made windows 3.0 fly...

Zygomorphic
02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Holy crap...I did not know of these! Imagine 128GB of **memory** on your server mainboard! Sheesh...I remember when upgrading from 1MB to 4MB cost me nearly $500, but it made windows 3.0 fly...
How about 8 of these things and 256 GB of memory...:cool:
Hey, I was really proud of the 26 KB of RAM in my TI calculator! :)

JMSPT
02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
in bios:

1. disable secure boot control; disable fast boot;
2. enable launch csm.

you might need to disable fast startup option in your active power plan. spam esc/f2 key during POST.

rewben, once again thank you for your help, following your steps solve the problem.

Can I leave "secure boot control" disabled? What is used for?

Thank you again.

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 02:40 AM
rewben, once again thank you for your help, following your steps solve the problem.

Thank you again.

"Secure boot control" is the security system in the EFI firmware that is designed to prevent booting of un-signed kernels. It is partly a security feature, and partly a method by Microsoft to lock out other operating systems. Namely, LINUX.

rewben
02-02-2013, 05:24 AM
here's the same question you've got from me the other day. rewben you should really post a thread about this and someone should make it sticky (this sounds so wrong :) ) ! It will save you a bunch of typing rewben. And as MS changed their ways with win 8 I guess a bunch of people will ask about this.

Thank you again.

hey don't mention it :)

like @Zygomorphic pointed out, it's a security feature. you can try to revert the bios options to its default states one at a time. if it doesn't work, you can leave them as is.

(of all the features in the UEFI, this one is taken advantage of, claimed it's for security's sake, and made the system deny access to other nice OS, including their own; pfff!)

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
hey don't mention it :)

like @Zygomorphic pointed out, it's a security feature. you can try to revert the bios options to its default states one at a time. if it doesn't work, you can leave them as is.

(of all the features in the UEFI, this one is taken advantage of, claimed it's for security's sake, and made the system deny access to other nice OS, including their own; pfff!)
First portion about sticky. @rewben, if you create the thread, I'll administratively sticky it since this seems to be a common issue, and you have a clear track record of fixing it.

As to the second part, it begs the question: if the kernel gets modified and thus the signing key doesn't match, won't that mean anyone who gets a virus or installs certain kernel drivers will suddenly find that their system no longer boots? Dumb.

rewben
02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
First portion about sticky. @rewben, if you create the thread, I'll administratively sticky it since this seems to be a common issue, and you have a clear track record of fixing it.

As to the second part, it begs the question: if the kernel gets modified and thus the signing key doesn't match, won't that mean anyone who gets a virus or installs certain kernel drivers will suddenly find that their system no longer boots? Dumb.

@Zyg, ok i will do that; i am actually compiling a small guide for g55/g75 upgrades but it's not ready yet :/

exaclty, LOL! the implementation of secure boot must be able to handle that, too (for instance, it's supposed to have a tool to inject new keys for this purpose; but then the future virus might be smart enough to do that by themselves, if they don't do it right :D).

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 08:42 PM
@Zyg, ok i will do that; i am actually compiling a small guide for g55/g75 upgrades but it's not ready yet :/

exactly, LOL! the implementation of secure boot must be able to handle that, too (for instance, it's supposed to have a tool to inject new keys for this purpose; but then the future virus might be smart enough to do that by themselves, if they don't do it right :D).

OK, just PM me with the thread when the guide is done and I'll make sure it is a sticky! :)

Still think the best security is between the ears! :cool: Windows is secure, if you use common sense...which most people don't. lol :D

fostert
02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
OK, just PM me with the thread when the guide is done and I'll make sure it is a sticky! :)

Still think the best security is between the ears! :cool: Windows is secure, if you use common sense...which most people don't. lol :D

Windows doesn't require common sense to use, which is why it is so often-hacked and hackable.

Zygomorphic
02-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Windows doesn't require common sense to use, which is why it is so often-hacked and hackable.
It can be secure - if you are careful and run AV software. I have never had problems, but I am careful, which as I admitted, most users are not. Otherwise, I agree with you. Run LINUX and avoid the MS lock-in entirely! :)

JMSPT
02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you all for the answers.

rewben
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
no problem, @JMSPT. have fun with your machine :)