PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55vw Ram Upgrade HELP!

Vicodin
01-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Hello,
I recently got an Asusg55vw. It has 8 GB of RAM which are in the hard to get to spot. I wan't to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but I wan't it all to match and I really don't want to rip this thing apart. So I ran a HWINFO64 to see what I could fine out about the RAM. Here is my question. This is the model number produced by HWINFO64: HMT351S6CFR8C-PB. I found RAM that has this same exact number on the sticker, sounds exactly the same. Is it the same?

rewben
01-29-2013, 02:11 AM
that's the stock ram for most of us. so the compatible ram list can be found here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&p=168646&viewfull=1#post168646).

the ones that i know to work are kingston and g.skill.

Vicodin
01-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Nice. Thank you rewben! The picture shown by your link is the exact same RAM that I was looking at to purchase. I was going to go with more/something better, but after I got my laptop I decided I really don't want to take it apart.... So I decided to just find the stock matching RAM, which you helped me verify. I found it pretty cheap too. 2x 4GB for $35.00. It is " Used ", but by used they mean it was taken out of a brand new laptop for someone who ordered it, upgraded to 16gb of corsair vengeance.

Pitcher@asus
01-29-2013, 02:54 AM
i think if you search from amazon, newegg, you can find a lot of RMA, but i suggest you if you don;t know how to buy it, you can call to reseller to ask.

Vicodin
01-29-2013, 03:05 AM
i think if you search from amazon, newegg, you can find a lot of RMA, but i suggest you if you don;t know how to buy it, you can call to reseller to ask.

I am not sure what you mean. I am trying to match the stock RAM that is already in the Asus so the timings are on and such. I would go with some better RAM but I don't want to access the ports under the keyboard.

rewben
01-29-2013, 03:35 AM
Nice. Thank you rewben! The picture shown by your link is the exact same RAM that I was looking at to purchase. I was going to go with more/something better, but after I got my laptop I decided I really don't want to take it apart.... So I decided to just find the stock matching RAM, which you helped me verify. I found it pretty cheap too. 2x 4GB for $35.00. It is " Used ", but by used they mean it was taken out of a brand new laptop for someone who ordered it, upgraded to 16gb.

it's no problem. yeah now it's the time to get ram upgrade done; it's quite affordable these days :)

to be frank, there is no difference between stock ram and those with tighter timings (i mean for daily usage; it just look good in benchmarks).

Vicodin
01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
I just ordered it! I talked with guy and found out that he sells various computers and laptops and offers custom options on them that he or his little company does before they ship them. So the extra 2x4 GB ram sticks came out of a brand laptop. I triple checked and all of the numbers are identical so I am good to go. Yeah, I am sure it is not the best ram in the world, but it beats taking my brand new laptop apart to have it all match.

srmojuze
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
I am not sure what you mean. I am trying to match the stock RAM that is already in the Asus so the timings are on and such. I would go with some better RAM but I don't want to access the ports under the keyboard.

I think Mike meant that as you found, there are "used" RAM from similar models that have been returned or upgraded etc.

Good find! I am wondering when I should go to 24GB. Can install Windows on RAMdisk muah ha ha ha ha.

Vicodin
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
So I got the RAM yesterday. It was identical to what was pre-installed on the AsusG55vw. I ran HWINFO64 and looked at details of each RAM stick individually and they are all exactly the same. I am glad I just went this route. Sure, its not the high performance RAM with tighter timings, but I was able to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB for $35 and I have all matching RAM. Without having to rip apart my computer!

rewben
02-01-2013, 09:41 AM
nice to hear that :)