PDA

View Full Version : Win8 installation is going 32 bit, I need 64

vintagepimpage
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Long story short, dropped a new SSD into my G75VW, got the $39.99 Win8 Pro upgrade. Downloaded the Win8 setup assistant and had it create the install to a USB thumb drive. Installed a clean install of Win8 Pro from the thumb drive to the SSD. Thought all was well, until I noticed it installed the 32 bit version instead of 64 bit. Thus only 3.6 GB of my 16 GB RAM is useable.

There is no prompt to choose 32 or 64 bit. The install is suppose to figure out which version you need. It appears it makes that determination when it creates the install on the USB key. The first time I had the setup assistant create the install on the thumb drive it was on an older Windows Vista machine with 2 GB RAM. So I'm assuming it looked at that machine when the install was created and set it up for 32 bit.

So I ran the setup assistant a second time, this time under Win8 Pro (the 32 bit install from above) on my G75 hoping it would create a 64 bit install for me on the thumb drive. Did another clean install on the SSD, no dice... Again it installs a 32 bit version of Win8 Pro. So I'm assuming it saw my current install was 32 bit, so it set up the thumb drive for another 32 bit install.

So any ideas out there how to get the install to go 64 bit? I no longer have the OEM version of Win8 that came with my G75. Thanks all!

Praz
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
When downloading the Win8 upgrade if the current operating system is 32 Bit no choice will be give and Win8 32Bit will be downloaded. To download the 64 Bit version of Win8 you need to initialize the download from a machine that is running a 64 Bit version of Windows.

Tomislav
01-30-2013, 01:39 AM
This is outrageous !!! Like MS really want's me to get pirate version of win 8. Does it detect just your old OS version or the PC specs? For example if you have a win 7 ultimate 64 bits on a system that has like 3-4 gb of ram wil it still download the 64 bit version.(I know it sounds stupid but I actually know some people that use that probably thinking that Ultimate 64 bit stands for the best windows 7 ever)

Praz
01-30-2013, 01:44 AM
As I wrote above if you want the 64 Bit version of Win8 you need to do the upgrade from a system running a 64 Bit version of Windows. Amount of installed ram is irrelevant. From Microsoft:

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation. If available in your country or region, you can buy Windows 8 Pro from a participating retail store. You can also buy it online from the Microsoft Store in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Please note that the Windows 8 Pro Pack is used to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, and is not for cross-architecture installs and does not include any media. If you want to change architectures, purchase Windows 8 Pro.

You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Pitcher@asus
01-30-2013, 03:46 AM
Microsoft will auto detect your OS, if your system is 32, it only can download 32bit and install, so now do you get 64 OS system to download and get 64 image?

vintagepimpage
01-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Yeah I wish MS just gave me the option to choose 32 or 64 bit... Or at a minimum, 1. Give me some type of a message/warning upfront when I start the setup assistant telling me what's up and 2. Educate their people on the phone so that when I call I'm not transferred over and over again and given 10 different answers.

In the end I'm having the discs overnighted to me, two discs, one is 32 the other 64. Why they can't offer that in a download I have no idea.

tkolarik
01-30-2013, 04:42 AM
You can use you Windows 8 activation key for either version. Download the 64-bit version and run the set up. You may have to call MS to be able to re-use the key for a third install. I have done mine on my other laptop a couple times and no problem. But you will have to call them to activate the product if you already activate the other system.

rewben
01-30-2013, 04:44 AM
they have a terrible strategy indeed; and bad corrective actions. everything is a mess since w8 rolled out.

hope everything is fine for you now.

tkolarik
01-30-2013, 05:17 AM
I have two free promo versions of Windows 8 Enterprise but I can't upgrade from a Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate to W8E. They require a clean install.

Praz
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
The Upgrade Assistant is a pain for users who know their way around a computer. For its target customer though it does remarkably well considering it is from Microsoft. Checks installed hardware for compatibility and protects the user from downloading an upgrade version that cannot be installed. For all other users the best course of action is to upgrade from a system running 64 Bit Windows and choose the burn to media option.

rewben
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
@Praz, i still think MS should be more liberal to genuine users :/

Praz
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I agree but they are targeting the majority of their customers. And unfortunately most forum members here don't fall into that category.

rewben
01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
i do agree on that haha!

Apexing
01-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Since you got a legit key, you are perfectly within your rights to get the install files from any sources available.
Im sure you can google your way to it.