PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Clean Install

Paulovrv
01-31-2013, 01:52 AM
Hi.

I found this link. It seems so detailed, I decided to share. For nOObs like me.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Hope I'm not corrupting any rules of the forum.:D

edit: + *banned website*

srmojuze
01-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Hi.

I found this link. It seems so detailed, I decided to share. For nOObs like me.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Hope I'm not corrupting any rules of the forum.:D

Yes that is good I used it a few days ago as part of my research and completion of fresh install Windows 8 Pro.

Pitcher@asus
01-31-2013, 03:35 AM
ROG forum has post also.

Ristus
01-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Is the windows 8 product key in bios? Sorry stupid question but I really hate Windows 8 and that's why I don't know these tricks on windows 8.
I have to start like it because i cant get windows 7 anymore :(

And If Key is in bios than it's probably ok just download Windows 8 image and use it if I need re-install Windows on some point.

Tomislav
01-31-2013, 07:36 AM
good work, I think a bunch of people will find it useful. Rep earned,bro.

rewben
01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
@Ristus, you should be able to retrieve your key using keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/) or Bilarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html).

yes it's ok to do that if you need a fresh install.

Paulovrv
01-31-2013, 09:37 AM
ROG forum has post also.

Oh, sorry. I didn't find it.:o

Ristus
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
OK thanks.

Paulovrv
01-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Just to complete the thread information with some specific stuff for us, I copy this link I found here in the forum other time:

*banned website*

Paulovrv
02-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Ok.

It was scary, especially before installing the drivers, BUT, yes, I made my first clean install!
Rewben, I did it!!
Now everything is fine.

Some details
-This installation took 82Gb from my SSD vs 40Gb (the first). I don't know why so much space now, but...
-The pad scrolling got inverted. I loved it. Now my finger's moves works as if I touch the scroll bar beside :confused: (oh, my english...), and no more the page, as if my fingers virtually touched the screen body.
-that rate of performance decreased 7,8/7,8/7,1/7,1/7,8 (7,1 was 7,2)

Most important (Do not know if this is worth a thread):

I want to share I had a strange problem entering the new key I had of windows 8 PRO.
When the intallation started, a sad message appeared:
"The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key"

And then this googled thread helped me, with the simple PID file of Steven (the 1st answer there):

" Just use notepad to make a file called PID.txt and put the following in the file:

[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Place your windows 8 Pro key in where the X's are and save the file to the /sources directory in the root of your USB key.

The PID file overrides the pre-installed OEM key in the bios of your computer. Windows 8 installation starts right up. Now I have a clean install of Windows 8 pro."

source:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/the-product-key-entered-does-not-match-any-of-the/47e6f575-5792-404b-9b7f-2065bdb91011?tm=1359775645147

Uh, the ASUS theme...

rewben
02-02-2013, 04:25 AM
haha! very well done! it's not that hard, right? :D

Some details
-This installation took 82Gb from my SSD vs 40Gb (the first). I don't know why so much space now, but...
-The pad scrolling got inverted. I loved it. Now my finger's moves works as if I touch the scroll bar beside (oh, my english...), and no more the page, as if my fingers virtually touched the screen body.
-that rate of performance decreased 7,8/7,8/7,1/7,1/7,8 (7,1 was 7,2)

i think there are a bit of optimizations you need to do. i use the tips from here (http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/) (but it will loose the fast startup because i disable hibernate)

the first one is because you still have pagefile and hibernation files. don't worry about the rating first.

Most important (Do not know if this is worth a thread):

I want to share I had a strange problem entering the new key I had of windows 8 PRO.
When the intallation started, a sad message appeared:
"The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key"

And then this googled thread helped me, with the simple PID file of Steven (the 1st answer there):

" Just use notepad to make a file called PID.txt and put the following in the file:

[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Place your windows 8 Pro key in where the X's are and save the file to the /sources directory in the root of your USB key.

The PID file overrides the pre-installed OEM key in the bios of your computer. Windows 8 installation starts right up. Now I have a clean install of Windows 8 pro."

source:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1359775645147

i guess this option is better for those who has w8 key embedded in the bios :)

i think you should be able to find a copy of asus theme in the driver CD if you want it.

Paulovrv
02-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Ok!! Skipped the 6, because I didn't understand, and in 7, I don't know if something happened.

WOw, plus 32Gb to me!!!

Thank you, immer.

rewben
02-02-2013, 06:27 AM
sweet :) the #6 is about pagefile. i think there was one post here in the forum describing this one but i couldn't find it. well it's fine to leave it alone. i have observed my system for quite some times with these settings. my ram can cope with my usage so i just go ahead.

note that the settings are all reversible. if something is not right, just set it back to defaults.

edit: the post regarding pagefile is here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26149-I-bought-laptop-ASUS-G75V-with-free-DOS-..I-am-a-beginner-and-have-quations-!!-HELP&p=193856&viewfull=1#post193856).

Paulovrv
02-03-2013, 04:49 AM
note that the settings are all reversible. if something is not right, just set it back to defaults.

The best part! :D

OOps! Webcam doesn't work anymore, after fresh install. Should I install older drivers?

rewben
02-03-2013, 04:59 AM
i think it's the virtual camera thing. i'm not sure.

Paulovrv
02-03-2013, 05:09 AM
probably. I am trying to reinstall this thing, but something is strange.
I never use the camera. No BIG deal.

rewben
02-03-2013, 05:15 AM
hm.. my webcam works with only windows-bundled driver. it's strange indeed (i never used it though)

Paulovrv
02-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Could it be a Pro version problem?
Oh, that "lot of space gone". It was windows.old. :rolleyes:

rewben
02-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Could it be a Pro version problem?
Oh, that "lot of space gone". It was windows.old. :rolleyes:

i'm using w8 pro.

uh? i thought you're doing a fresh install?

Taebekk
02-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Morning!

I hope its ok to use this thread for a question about Win 8 clean install!?
Did any1 try to do... or better: is it even possible to do a clean install
of Windows 8 onto the "ASUS" SSD with the "ASUS" CD-Key? I`ve got
an original Windows 8 copy from my Desktop Comp here but i cant get
it running properly. Tried it 3 times yesterday but wasnt a clean install
at all... no Nvidia drivers worked and couldnt get the keyboard illumination
working on my G75VX.

Help/Info would be very appreciated!

Greets Taebekk

Karrde
02-03-2013, 09:25 AM
is it even possible to do a clean install
of Windows 8 onto the "ASUS" SSD with the "ASUS" CD-Key?

Yes it is possible. (Done it with "untouched MSDN Windows 8 iso" on G75VX-CV012H)
No need to edit/add PID.txt if you want to use the "ASUS" CD-Key, the key is automatically recognized (if you use the correct/same edition Win 8 DVD).
Nvidia drivers worked. (Not the driver from Nvidia Homepage, you have to use the driver from ASUS G75VX Support page, or search at this Forum how to use Nvidias.)
And keyboard illumination is working after installing Chipset, ATKACPI and Keyboard Device driver from ASUS G75VX Support page.

Paulovrv
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
uh? i thought you're doing a fresh install?

I thought I did it, too. Pressing esc when starting. With pendrive.

:D :D :D One time nOOb, ever nOOb!

Paulovrv
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah but please note that for Windows 8 the Bluetooth Drivers and the Card Reader drivers must be downloaded from the ASUS website after selecting Windows 8 as they are diff. than the Windows 7 drivers and not intercompatible

DO you know if the camera driver from ASUS (G75VW) is compatible with Windows 8 PRO?

Tomislav
02-04-2013, 02:03 PM
cool people are doing it successfully. that's good news.

rewben
02-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I thought I did it, too. Pressing esc when starting. With pendrive.

:D :D :D One time nOOb, ever nOOb!

just take it easy. the first time i attempted to do a fresh install, i didn't even know what 'format a drive' mean :D

Paulovrv
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I was suspecting that something had been left behind.:o
Before everything, I should have formatted the SSD... mmmm
After formatting, can I procced that way: start, press esc, boot with pendrive, etc?

rewben
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
yes, you can do that.