PDA

View Full Version : Winflash utility doesn't recognize notebook

Kamil
01-31-2013, 06:21 AM
I recently upgraded my G55 to Windows 8, and something broke during the install which led to completely resetting the system and needing to reinstall all the drivers, or at least whichever ones seemed necessary at any given time. Recently I had an issue with a new pair of headphones not working (I'm fairly certain it's not an issue on the ASUS side) and their technical support suggested ensuring that I had the latest BIOS so I went to install WinFlash from the downloads page so I could do that.

The problem is, whenever I try to install it I get an error saying "This only supports ASUS notebooks" and it stops. I'm fairly certain this is an ASUS notebook, so I don't know what is causing it. Any ideas?

Pitcher@asus
01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
you can use ezflash in BIOS to flahs BIOS. did you download winflahs form asus support site?

rewben
01-31-2013, 07:19 AM
install ATK package first.

Kamil
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
install ATK package first.
Thank you very much, I don't exactly understand what that does but it fixed the problem.

Clintlgm
01-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Beware of updating you BIOS with Win Flash lots of bricked notebooks reported here, your much safer using ezflash for that update at least.

rewben
02-01-2013, 01:46 AM
@Kamil, in terms of ASUS drivers, ATK Package should be the first to be installed. i guess with the compliance of installing this package, it will allow other ASUS drivers to be installed.

you should really use ezflash in the bios to perform upgrade instead of winflash. as @Clintlgm pointed out, winflash is relatively more risky.