PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts and freezing in Games 670m (just got laptop back from RMA)

n1ghtl1fe
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
So about a month and a half back my G75VW wouldn't boot just gave me a black screen, no post or anything. Seems a few others had this issue while on windows 8. I sent my laptop in to asus and they said they replaced the motherboard. I got it back a couple weeks ago and encountered the same issue (not sure if they didnt replace it or what). So, again I called them up for a second RMA and received my laptop a couple days ago.

They re-installed windows 7 and this time around the repair sheet says "Replace G75VW Main_BD._OM/AS(QC) (192B) aas well as "Replace G74VW VGA_BD./AS (192BIT)". I installed the latest bios 223 off asus's site using EasyFlash (not winflash) because I heard the bios is what most likley was the cause of my first black screen.The laptop booted fine into windows 7 after flash so I popped in my SSD and installed Windows 8 with the lastest drivers off Asus's site. I also have the 1TB hdd that the laptop came with wiped and installed in the 2nd bay for storage.

Now everything runs fine except for games.

The issue I have been having is when I play games such as DMC and Crysis 2 after about 15-20 min of gameplay I get random artifacts in the form of spikes and lines that come out of random places such as my character or the walls. The game will also occasionally just freeze and require me to open my laptop lid for it to start working again (I play games thru HDMI on my TV with a wireless xbox controller adapter). I tried several different graphics drivers from the latest 313 beta to the 310 off nvidia's site. I even used safe mode to uninstall and my last attempt used Driver Sweeper to remove leftover files from nvidia before install. I also tried re-installing directx, still the same issue persists.

My gpu's temp didnt go over 68C during any time and I dont overclock so I am kind of lost what to try next. I ran a couple GPU bench-marking programs and those didn't have any issues. I hope my GPU isn't faulty cause a third RMA would really suck.
Anyone have any suggestions or know of anyways to pinpoint whats causing this problem? any help would be great

n1ghtl1fe
02-01-2013, 04:24 AM
update: downgraded bios to 222 same issue. I found out that if i run GPU-Z's stress test that keeps the gpu load at 99% my laptop will crash after about 2 min temps hardly have a chance to increase :(

Dreamonic
02-01-2013, 05:00 AM
I was just gonna mention it might have something to do with the bios upgrade since system testing prior to it was not done, but clearly that is not the case reading your last post. It appears like a defective card or one that was improperly seated or possibly received electrostatic discharge. Drivers can still be linked to this... yes.

BUT... there it is...
GPU bench-marking programs and those didn't have any issues. You pretty much answered it yourself. Benchmarking programs puts the GPU under load, so if it passed those...

EDIT: affects stability under load as stated from your last post as well.

IS it just when gaming using external display through HDMI that get these problems? Have you tried just the laptops display? Perhaps the new MB doesn't like the HDMI mixed with a Windows settings. I'm sure you have all drivers installed and OS/settings set correctly so I won't go there. Usually what you are experienceing with no overclocking is from defective hardware, sometimes drivers disrupt stability but there is more with yours.

Nonetheless, Hardware - it's either works as intended or it doesn't.

Looks like another RMA.

n1ghtl1fe
02-01-2013, 05:38 AM
with 3D mark and heaven benchmarks it didnt crash but it did with GPU-Z which ran the gpu at a constant 99%. I ran them both with the HDMI out and laptop screen and just the laptop screen. A third RMA is what its looking like : / damn they must have done a ****ty job seating it. I called support and they weren't much help just "Are the drivers updated?" "yes.." and "Looks like you will need to send it in again as we have no more troubleshooting options."

Thanks for the reply though dreamonic I appreciate it

3 RMA's in a months time? Thats sad, I used to love my Asus now its something it looks like Ill have to avoid recommending. I need something reliable as a CS major whos currently working in the field. :(

Pitcher@asus
02-01-2013, 05:51 AM
why you sned RMA and what part are you repair? 3 times is same problem?

Dreamonic
02-01-2013, 05:52 AM
That's what gets me here...

3DMark for me runs @ 99% throughout each test, obviously not during the phasing transition to the next one, but still tests run @ 99%. It's possible continuous amount of power draw (like in GPU-Z test does until you close it) to your GPU from the MB which could be the source of the problem. The MB might not be giving it enough juice to the slot. Bad VRAM chips can display similar findings.

I'd almost demand both be replaced again for your own convenience that it could have been the other one.

Maybe they can 'stress test' it for you for being such an accepting customer before shipping it back to you to confirm there are no problems first. Maybe it's a bad power brick or other supporting hardware.

Someone always cheapens out somewhere though. We do it ourselves with our own jobs when they begin to become repetitious and bleak. Someone else always pays for it too. Nature of humans.

Sorry man...
It's just ridiculous...

n1ghtl1fe
02-01-2013, 08:12 PM
why you sned RMA and what part are you repair? 3 times is same problem?

first two times same issue, now supposedly the motherboard and gpu were replaced but im running into this issue the since the day i got it back. Its sucks : /

That's what gets me here...

3DMark for me runs @ 99% throughout each test, obviously not during the phasing transition to the next one, but still tests run @ 99%. It's possible continuous amount of power draw (like in GPU-Z test does until you close it) to your GPU from the MB which could be the source of the problem. The MB might not be giving it enough juice to the slot. Bad VRAM chips can display similar findings.

I'd almost demand both be replaced again for your own convenience that it could have been the other one.

Maybe they can 'stress test' it for you for being such an accepting customer before shipping it back to you to confirm there are no problems first. Maybe it's a bad power brick or other supporting hardware.

Someone always cheapens out somewhere though. We do it ourselves with our own jobs when they begin to become repetitious and bleak. Someone else always pays for it too. Nature of humans.

Sorry man...
It's just ridiculous...

I asked that and they said that they will speed up the process once again for me and try to get it back as fast as they can. Its sad really I spent a lot on this machine and this is what I get. I was a G74 owner to before i got my G75. I will give it another day of troubleshooting but looks like im sending back for my third RMA. I honestly think the cards getting worse it has froze up on me a couple times now just while using chrome. Probably why it didnt crash on the other tests i did before but its crashing with gpu-z's test now.

Another reason I dont really want to RMA it again for the 3rd time (besides the fact it will set me back at work and school) but last time I got it back with a few CM scratch on the bottom of my screen and a few new scratches on the laptops casing. I mean I baby the thing it sucks the ones who provide "support" for my unit aren't treating it the same. I dont want it coming back more beat up but then again whats the use of it now lol :confused:

Guess ill send it in tomorrow until then i have an assignment due i got to finish up tonight if it lets me :mad:
I was recommended by a friend to write a letter to Asus's main office explaining my situation and hoping some sort of other action will be taken to resolve it. Anyone know if this would be of any benefit?