PDA

View Full Version : Remove DVD drive

Kawazu
02-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I have an G75VW and i want to remove the DVD drive and replace that with a caddy.

So here is the question, how exactly do i remove it?
Where are the screws located that i need to remove?

Would be great with some pics :)

cosmicmango
02-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Take off the bottom cover and there is one screw (right in the middle) at the back of the DVD-ROM Optical Drive. I bought a caddy from ebay, see the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300677757750?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Feud
02-02-2013, 12:18 AM
As stated above there is a single screw when you remove the main panel on the bottom then the drive just slides right out. I just did this too and replaced my Optical with a Caddy and my 1TB HDD so that I can run 2 SSD's in RAID 0 internally.

Kawazu
02-02-2013, 12:54 AM
As stated above there is a single screw when you remove the main panel on the bottom then the drive just slides right out. I just did this too and replaced my Optical with a Caddy and my 1TB HDD so that I can run 2 SSD's in RAID 0 internally.

That is the exact setup that i will be using, is the screw the blue one on this image?
http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/images/8/8a/Takedown_step_2_%28800x450%29.jpg

Feud
02-02-2013, 01:02 AM
That is the exact setup that i will be using, is the screw the blue one on this image?
http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/images/8/8a/Takedown_step_2_%28800x450%29.jpg

Yep, the blue one is the only screw holding the Optical Drive in.

Pitcher@asus
02-04-2013, 03:19 AM
you can search form youtobe, it have video how to dismantle it.

Tomislav
02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Is there a way to remove the front panel of the caddy and switch it for the original ASUS one on the DVD ? (I ask because I really like the aluminum ;) )

rewben
02-04-2013, 11:07 AM
@Tomislav, if you'r referring to the bezel, yes; in fact you should lol! (to cover up the 'hole')

Tomislav
02-04-2013, 11:27 AM
@Tomislav, if you'r referring to the bezel, yes; in fact you should lol! (to cover up the 'hole') This is also called a bezel? Note taken. And now looking at the picture I see there's a hole :) It looked as piece of black plastic at first...:) Btw I've read somewhere on the forum that if you have a blue ray this caddy won't work because blue ray have different connectors ( I think it's called slim or thin sata or something like that)but I may be wrong.

rewben
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
This is also called a bezel? Note taken. And now looking at the picture I see there's a hole :) It looked as piece of black plastic at first...:) Btw I've read somewhere on the forum that if you have a blue ray this caddy won't work because blue ray have different connectors ( I think it's called slim or thin sata or something like that)but I may be wrong.

i am not so sure about that though; as far as i know, there should be no special connector for components such as dvdrom or bluray (it's supposed to be a standard). i might be wrong, too :/

Kawazu
02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
So my new HDD caddy came today and the installation went smooth.
The only part i had to "fiddle" abit with was when i removed the plastic front of the dvd to place it on the caddy but now everything is set and my SSD raid0 and my 1TB 2.5 disk is good to go :)

Thx all for the help.