PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking G75

smidge710
02-02-2013, 02:02 AM
So i recently bought a new G75 and got back into pc gaming. Well i see everyone is into overclocking their systems now and i would like to get in on it. Im very new to this dont really know where to start at all. All tips, links, and information is greatly appreciated

Lethal1
02-02-2013, 02:05 AM
So i recently bought a new G75 and got back into pc gaming. Well i see everyone is into overclocking their systems now and i would like to get in on it. Im very new to this dont really know where to start at all. All tips, links, and information is greatly appreciated

About the only thing you can really overclock is the GPU, which I'd advise using something like MSI Afterburner to do.

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 02:41 AM
I would advise against OC'ing the GPU. You aren't likely to get enough of a performance increase to make it worthwhile, and you are only risking your system. If you choose to OC, the key is to not touch the voltage settings. As long as you don't touch the voltages, nothing should get permanently damaged.

lilfoot95
02-02-2013, 02:59 AM
I would advise against OC'ing the GPU. You aren't likely to get enough of a performance increase to make it worthwhile, and you are only risking your system. If you choose to OC, the key is to not touch the voltage settings. As long as you don't touch the voltages, nothing should get permanently damaged.
Actually, when i OC'ed my GPU I got a huge performance boost and my max temp is like 60 celcius. Also if you have the 660m(which I do) you can't touch the voltages so you can really mess anything up unless your stupid and over do it. I suggest using Nvidia Inspector to OC, that's what I use.

If you get the 313.96 beta drivers the max core clock if you oc is 950mhz

GottiBoi55
02-02-2013, 03:00 AM

I agree, you can do a lot of overheating damage to the GPU!
Just don't do it !!!!!!

Feud
02-02-2013, 03:09 AM
I agree, you can do a lot of overheating damage to the GPU!
Just don't do it !!!!!!

Well yeah, if you don't pay attention to temperatures.

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Actually, when i OC'ed my GPU I got a huge performance boost and my max temp is like 60 celcius. Also if you have the 660m(which I do) you can't touch the voltages so you can really mess anything up unless your stupid and over do it. I suggest using Nvidia Inspector to OC, that's what I use.

If you get the 313.96 beta drivers the max core clock if you oc is 950mhz
I have the 560M, and it OCs, but not enough to give a noticeable performance boost, and when you are OC'd high enough, the display driver crashes. If you need the performance boost and are careful, go ahead, otherwise, letting your system run at stock clocks is safer.

gokica
02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
G75s have excellent cooling.

I do not see a reason why one should not overclock the GPU. Even the bios is made in a way to allow it. ASUS left it as an option too.

The temperatures are just fine and the gain is substantial from the allowed OC.

In Unigine Heaven I got 30% increase in performance which is not to be neglected. The key is monitoring the GPU temperature and cleaning the fans on a regular basis.

Use EVGA precision or MSI afterburner. Nvidia Inspector if you want to step over the boundaries in the bios but not much gain if the voltage is at stock. So skip this last one and use one of the first two utilities mentioned.

BTW Why did ASUS left the development of their tweaking/overclocking utility?

smidge710
02-02-2013, 04:42 PM
so how does one monitor temps? and how do i do this while in game, also how do i monitor my fps?

xperiaplayerpro
02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
i have g75vw gtx 670m i use msi afterburner for my gpu oc and intel extrem tuner for my cpu oc no i can run my gpu oc at
core clock:770
mem clock: 1650 (can go higher but doesnt make any fps differance just a lot of extra heat)
cpu referance clock: 106.0041 this puts max NON turbo boost cpu speed to: 2.438 from 2.300 and max turbo boost cpu speed to: 3.498
this makes a nice differance playing games at extra quility possible eg witcher II all on max apart from ubersampleing max min fps is 30 to 40 max temp of gpu is 79c not bad hey with no oc it plays at (same settings) arround min max fps 22 to 30 ish gpu temps of 70 to 75.

oh and to moniter temps use msi afterburner/settings/monitoring tab/tick gpu temp while that is selected tick show on screen display . i tend to tick mem usage to.
to moniter fps i use FRAPS but you can also tick frame rate on msi afterburner.
hope this helps.
click on star to add my reputation :cool:

srmojuze
02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
All I can say is that on G55 I can OC core to 1100mhz+ and mem to 2800mhz+ ... More or less depending on the game. The cooling of this laptop is basically the best I have ever seen or experienced.

As long as I don't play with voltages as this is a gaming laptop I trust that it knows what it is doing.

For me most important is not running the CPU 100% while GPU 100%. As in, most games have heavier load on GPU then CPU. CPU maxxed out usually happens on encoding videos and such, as far as I know.

Overclocking... is Living.

gokica
02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Even if on occasion both the GPU and the CPU run at 100% it is fine because they have separate cooling systems. They do not interact in the cooling system so it is perfectly safe.