PDA

View Full Version : g53sx windows 7 professional 32bit?

jarrodblake
02-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I bought a used g53sx and installed windows professional 32bit as I had it laying around. So that said where do I need to go to find drivers that will work with the 32bit? Everything on asus web sit is 64bit, also is there any app that will let me use 64bit on my 32bit?

Gorman
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
x64 and x86 are different instruction sets, so while it theoretically is possible to convert binaries between the two, I don't know of anything that does that.

You should install a 64-bit OS, otherwise you are gimping your machine.

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I will answer your questions in reverse order:
1) Is there any app that will let me use 64-bit on my 32-bit?
No - the larger instructions are too big for a 32-bit. 64-bit OS's will run 32-bit apps through a compatibility layer, but not the other way round.
2) Where do I need to go to find drivers that will work with 32-bit?
Graphics drivers come from nVidia's website. They still offer 32-bit driver downloads. As for the other drivers, I don't rightly know. If you happen to know the name of the vendor (such as Atheros for the WiFi card), you can try the vendor's website.

Best bet, install 64-bit Win 7. I would get in touch with Microsoft and see if it is possible to transfer your license from a 32- to 64-bit installation.

jarrodblake
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I have found most of my drivers but there are things that still do not work, such as I have 12g or ram but only 2.99 is usable. That said I have been doing a bit of reading and see that they have all the drivers for Windows 8, that said I don't know how I fill about it. But if I'm going to buy a new operating system I may as well. I know I can not up grade Windows 7 32bit to 64bit with out doing a clean install but I have read the I can up grade Windows 7 32bit to Windows 8 64 bit is this true? If not a have an old Vista 64bit disk that I could use to install Windows 8 up grade to save a little money. What are your alls thoughts on this and sorry I posted from my phone.

Zygomorphic
02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
OK. Let me try to take it from the top:
32-bit OS's address about 3-4 GB of RAM, depending on how you count things. You get a 4 GB address space, but the system only has 3 GB available. The rest will be wasted, that is just the nature of 32-bit.

You can't do an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, the DLLs all change size and a bunch of other things. If you have a Vista 64-bit disk, that might be worth installing, but the sooner you can get Win 7 64-bit, the better. I don't like Win 8, and it is not as nice for non-touch systems as Windows 7. Alternately, you can consider installing LINUX as your main OS, and Windows in a VM.

evga
02-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Install 64bit version if you want to use your g53 to its potential , or else your bottlenecking the laptop with OS. win 7 32bit key works for 64bit aswell so no need to worry.

jarrodblake
02-03-2013, 08:35 AM
From what little I have used windows 8 I don't like it, However from what I have read and seen I can download window a windows 7 start menu and get rid of metro. I really like the idea of that, but before I buy windows 8. From what I have read I can install any windows 7 program. Does this include all windows 7 drivers? I assume this would work the same as installing programs but have read not all driver work. Also I did not know the product keys where the same. I may have found a windows 7 professional 64bit disk on ebay and my just try that rout. As for using Linux I may play with it on my laptop but I don't think I will ever be able to uses it as my main os, I'm currently in the posses of getting my Linux certification and have tried a few different versions of it and I have not found any that would make me want to replace windows yet.

Zygomorphic
02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Just download the ISO legal from Microsoft. It is legal, and they provide a universal ISO download, because you are paying for the product keys, not the physical media.

See the group in my sig, start a discussion there about which distros you have tried, and the other LINUX users around here will give you a hand.

jarrodblake
02-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Ok I'm trying to install windows 7 professional 64 bit. However in the fist part of the install its asking for drivers, what drivers do I need?

evga
02-09-2013, 07:03 AM
It never asks for the drivers during install , at what stage are you ? is the installing completed ?

dstrakele
02-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Ok I'm trying to install windows 7 professional 64 bit. However in the fist part of the install its asking for drivers, what drivers do I need?

That typically indicates your Windows installation media is corrupt. I recommend redownloading the Windows ISO file and burning it to DVD or USB flash drive at a slower speed if possible and with no other applications running.

Zygomorphic
02-09-2013, 11:24 AM
That typically indicates your Windows installation media is corrupt. I recommend redownloading the Windows ISO file and burning it to DVD or USB flash drive at a slower speed if possible and with no other applications running.

I recommend doing it from a USB flash drive, since the G53SX can boot from a USB drive, and Windows will install from it. Source: did it.

cwija
02-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Your machine should have sticker on the bottom where is WIndows serial key and also edition (usually it is Windows 7 Home Premium OA) so download 64-bit edition of that system and install it with that key and voila, you have all set for your drivers from Asus Support site. Personally I recommend all drivers from Asus G53SX support site except for Nvidia (I use newest version from Nvidia.com), Intel Inf and Intel Storage (from Intel Download Center). Sound driver must be from Asus G53SX strictly because any other have problem with microphone sound quality. If you need more specific explain contact me.