PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Keys ALL require hard press or overtravel

Baltimore Charlie
02-02-2013, 05:33 PM
G75VW Keyboard requires hard press for all keys, ESPECIALLY THE SPACE BAR.
This laptop is only about 2 weeks old.

ITEM #
AS G75V 3610QM/1DG5/8G/US
G75VW-1AT1/8SL/V/WF/SQ

Problem SEEMS mechanical:
If you press a key very gradually, the key"click" happens, and AFTER THIS, you have to press a little further to actually make the key work!
About another 1/16" of travel required!

Makes typing almost impossible-- always going back to add spaces between words!
I had to correct this little post at least six times.

HELP!!!!!

cl-Albert
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Welcome!
1. If it makes any difference, my G75VW test unit doesn't seem to do this, so if it isn't too late, you may want to talk to your place of purchase about returning/replacing the unit assuming there is something 'wrong' with the unit you have.

2. It doesn't appear to be a sw issue, but if you have a way to boot to DOS, or can check in the bios (press 'F2' after powering up and look under the 'boot' menu/'add new boot option' where you can type and hit 'esc' to cancel it), you may want to make sure.

3. Everyone types differently and if you're used to desktop keyboards, I'm afraid you may see the same problem with another G75VW unit or keyboard, so consider this possibility too. If possible, try to find another G75VW unit to compare with.

4. If necessary, you can also contact ASUS support to troubleshoot and request the RMA number if you want to send in the unit for service, but all the G75VW keyboards are the same, so if nothing wrong can be found with your keyboard, this will not solve the issue.
Below is the link to contact the ASUS call center if you wish to go this route.
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Apexing
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
um yea, this laptop dont have a mechanical keyboard so that shouldnt be the issue.
could be something spilled and makes the key sticky.
i would return it or have it repaired since its not something you should accept.

Pitcher@asus
02-05-2013, 02:06 AM
if you are in warranty, i suggest you send back to replace new KB.

Baltimore Charlie
02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
THANK YOU for your help.
It is almost certainly a mechanical issue.
The WHOLE POINT of"tactile feedback" on any key-operated device is that when the feedback happens (the "click"), the operation has been completed! If you get the click before contact happens, it is not feedback at all!
Requiring overtravel of 1/16" AFTER the click completely defeats the purpose of the click feedback!

Is there any fix for this? Otherwise, I am very happy with this computer.
I need to walk in someplace and get it fixed. I do NOT want to ship it off somewhere...
--Yes, I had to correct this post 8 times, in spite of trying to remember to stab at the keys!

HELP!!!!

ZeroBarrier
02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Food for thought:

The "tactile feedback" you feel is produced by the mechanism used to enable the keys to press down and return to their original position. The "feedback" you feel was not designed to alert the user of any completed operation, but only to ensure that the keys do press down and return up to their original position.

Perhaps it is only your perception that the "feedback" is supposed to indicate a completed operation. There are many mechanical keyboards (and to clear up any confusion, the G75 does not have a mechanical keyboard) out there with different switches, and each switch presses and clicks differently; and my point in saying this is that maybe, you just got to get used to a new keyboard, because it seems like you're expecting it to behave like another keyboard (perhaps one you previously or currently own on another PC).

cl-Albert
02-05-2013, 06:53 PM
If you want to repair it under the ASUS warranty, there are not a lot of ASUS Notebook authorized service providers/centers (ASPs) in North America, but you can check the link below to see if you happen to be near one.
http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/NB_ANSP/index.html
We also have repair centers you can send the notebook to for repair that are not listed since you need to request the RMA number first.

Some Notebook ASPs only repair units from their customers and are not listed on that website, so you might also want to check with your store if you purchased it locally, or about the replacement policy as well if you have not had it that long.

cl-Albert
02-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Yes, the keyboard issue sounds a little unusual and I'm wondering if replacing the G75VW keyboard or unit is really going to solve the problem if it's being compared with a desktop keyboard. Although you don't want to carry around an external keyboard wherever you go, if it's just an issue with typing on a notebook keyboard, another idea is to plug in an external USB keyboard if you are going to be 'camped' out somewhere for a while?
I'm using an external keyboard for this message with my notebook at work.

Food for thought:

The "tactile feedback" you feel is produced by the mechanism used to enable the keys to press down and return to their original position. The "feedback" you feel was not designed to alert the user of any completed operation, but only to ensure that the keys do press down and return up to their original position.

Perhaps it is only your perception that the "feedback" is supposed to indicate a completed operation. There are many mechanical keyboards (and to clear up any confusion, the G75 does not have a mechanical keyboard) out there with different switches, and each switch presses and clicks differently; and my point in saying this is that maybe, you just got to get used to a new keyboard, because it seems like you're expecting it to behave like another keyboard (perhaps one you previously or currently own on another PC).

Dreamonic
02-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Food for thought:

Nicely said.

I find the short keystrokes to be very responsive on mine. One thing to keep in mind is that the keys can pivot left or right if your fingers are not centered directly in the middle of the key, which results in missed keystrokes. This is more apparent if you type faster as when using the spacebar. If using this keyboard a lot, the keys will start to make squeaking sounds (especially the spacebar) so pay no attention to 'feedback' from the KB.

However, if you feel the keys are sluggish/unresponsive after many complete keystrokes, it sounds like the keys themselves are further in the tray. This would mean the keys are literally flush from the top of the KB before they register (pushing harder puts the key further in.) Mine is half in/half out when they register.

Do take notice to disable the touchpad if you are using a mouse. I've noticed when typing fast, the side of my thumb will touch it inadvertently and direct me to wherever my cursor was last, still as I type a few keys in to notice it's not where I want them.

If this is what you are referring to Baltimore Charlie, then to confirm it is not normal but it all depends what you are trying to perceive as something wrong or something you need to get used to.. that's the question.

Baltimore Charlie
02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
ZB, Thank you.
I replaced an older HP laptop. Very familiar with non-mechanical keyboards.
The click has the unintended consequence of providing false feedback.
Mr. ASUS: If you just want spring return, just do that. Don't make a false "click" feedback!

I am trying to get used to it -- but it is driving me nuts.

I am beginning to think this keyboard is not defective...but is just a very poorly thought-out design.

Return is not a viable option, warranty or not. I have loaded this with all my stuff-- I have MOVED IN, so to speak.
Nearest auth repair facility is a 4-hour drive. Not a very viable option.

I will try to find out if the underlying board can be raised slightly. That would fix it.
OY! What a nightmare.

Baltimore Charlie
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
cl-Albert,
Thank you.
Examining it more carefully:
----I'm aware of the off-center problem with the spacebar. Luckily, THAT is not a big problem for ME.
----Disabling the touchpad makes no difference.

Biggest problem for missed keystrokes is the spacebar behavior itself. I think I could get by with this laptop if I can add a shim under the spacebar (or perhaps between the spacebar and the cutout panel above it) or find some other means to reduce the spacebar travel or over-travel. In other words, get it to operate MUCH sooner after the "click".

I hate to open a brand-new machine up, but I am running out of viable options.
Too bad ASUS has no facility in the Balto/Washington area. Nearest is Pittsburgh. OY!
--I'm pretty good, but I would take it to a good local shop. It sure would help if I knew exactly how the keyboard subassembly is laid out vertically. My "solution" may just be a fool's errand!

Baltimore Charlie
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
cl-Albert,
Thank you.
Examining it more carefully:
----I'm aware of the off-center problem with the spacebar. Luckily, THAT is not a big problem for ME.
----Disabling the touchpad makes no difference.

Biggest problem for missed keystrokes is the spacebar behavior itself. I think I could get by with this laptop if I can add a shim under the spacebar (or perhaps between the spacebar and the cutout panel above it) or find some other means to reduce the spacebar travel or over-travel. In other words, get it to operate MUCH sooner after the "click".

I hate to open a brand-new machine up, but I am running out of viable options.
Too bad ASUS has no facility in the Balto/Washington area. Nearest is Pittsburgh. OY!
--I'm pretty good, but I would take it to a good local shop. It sure would help if I knew exactly how the keyboard subassembly is laid out vertically. My "solution" may just be a fool's errand!

dstrakele
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
The shim method was applied successfully by one user (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9245-Cause-of-unresponsive-sluggish-keys-on-G74) to an individual key. Unfortunately, it is probably just as easy to further damage the key rather than repair it.

Baltimore Charlie
02-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Can anybody tell me how to remove the spacebar key on the G75VW?
Hopefully a huge dis-assembly will not be needed!
If I can remove and re-install this one key, I will be good to go!

hcwrks
04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
I have this exact issue - I don't care about the "click", or feedback, or whatever, but this laptop was purchased just days ago, and it makes me crazy. I'm a writer, and I need to be able to touch type. I type reasonable fast, and I have used dozens and dozens of desktop, laptop, netbook, etc etc keyboards in the last 20 years or so. I have not had a keyboard that feels this way since I used a manual typewriter and the keys were so heavy they required lots of effort to press. I have to press very hard on each key, very deliberately, and it still doesn't always work on the spacebar. This style of typing, putting extra effort into each keystroke in order for the key to register, is very very fatiguing for my hands. The keys themselves are very slim and light, which leads one to believe that they lend themselves to speed typing. Instead, they're very unresponsive, which is especially frustrating, because it also takes longer to type the same amount of text. I have an Asus X502CA, so not the same one as the original poster, I was just searching for others who had this problem. I wonder if the OP was able to get it solved?

Clintlgm
04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Sound's like its time to return it to the vendor if you still in that time frame? otherwise RMA it these keyboards work just fine. Yours sounds defective.

GottiBoi55
04-17-2014, 03:18 AM
You should return to place of purchase for replacement, you only had for two weeks.
Why risk voiding your warranty by trying to fix your issue yourself.
My G75VW keyboard is effortless, very little pressure is needed.

Baltimore Charlie
05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes, this is awful. I do a lot of writing too-- mostly tech manuals and patent applications.I have sort of gotten used to it, but it is a relief to get to my office and a REAL keyboard on my desktop. I bought a Logitech USB "accessory" keyboard to try out with the laptop, but it has issues of its own. It is hard to find a really good keyboard, strange as it sounds. It is also awkward and silly to have to do that.

The only thing I could do that helped a little was to add a strip of foam, about 1/16 thick, on top of the entire space bar. It sort of fools your hand into making more key travel, and it USUALLY works. Other than that, I am trying to makie a habit of almost banging on the keys. OY! I'm baffled that ASUS would let this keyboard get out the door. The laptop seems to be of high quality. I'm not a gamer. I bought it for its ability to do CAD well. It's fine for that, given that it is a laptop! When I eventually replace this laptop, I will be especially wary.

Clintlgm
05-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Hmm, I haven't noticed this at all, my keyboard works as it should, perhaps you have a defective keyboard? what you are reporting is not normal for these keyboards. And if you really hammering the keys you most likely going to break the Hinges before long. These key are 3 parts there is a silicone ball that is used to return the key after pressing. there is a hinge that connect the key parts to the key pad and the key cap. I assume that the silicone ball pressed a Pressure switch on the keyboard. and it sounds like your keyboard is not responding and is defective.
Check out this website they sell replacement key. The reason I'm giving you this link is they have directions on how to change each of the different type keys and you'll by watching the tutorial understand how these keys work. http://www.laptopkey.com/?gclid=CJnGwIfUk74CFYtDMgodgFsA8Q

Baltimore Charlie
05-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Thank you. I keep getting conflicting signals about this issue from various posts. Unfortunately, I did not send the laptop back immediately-- bought in Jan 2013. So any repair will: 1) Be entirely at my expense and 2) Be extremely inconvenient. It is not as if I can just walk into a repair shop with it and have it back the next day. No good solution except outright replacement I'm afraid. Anybody know of a FAST repair facility?

cl-Albert
05-05-2014, 04:35 PM
If you think it's worth checking into, you may want to confirm with ASUS support (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en) that your warranty has expired or if you want to either tell us your full G75 model or send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number, I can tell you what I see on my end.

Otherwise, not sure how easily other repair facilities will be able to get the parts, but check the page below for the U.S. authorized service centers (there aren't many) that should be able to replace a keyboard for out-of-warranty service (the main ASUS notebook repair center in California is not listed where most people would send their notebook for service if anybody is interested). Don't know how fast they will be if you want to look into this.
http://www.service.asus.com/#!service-centers/c1tqs

If you are near one of the authorized service centers and think it's worth the trouble, you may want to contact them to ask if you can drop by with your notebook to get their opinion if a keyboard replacement would make any difference.
Not sure how familiar they all will be with the G75 keyboards though if you want to check this too.

Baltimore Charlie
05-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Thank you for this helpful post!
Details on this laptop:
Model G75VW
ser # *** Edited by cl-Albert ***
P/N # 90N2VL353G2292SQ163Y
ITEM #
AS G75V 3610QM/1DG5/8G/US
G75VW-1AT1/8SL/V/WF/SQ

I would be very grateful for any help you can give me. I really like this machine, except for this one very upsetting problem!

Best,
Charles

Edit by cl-Albert: May not be too big of a deal, but it's safer not to let others know your serial number in case there is ever a question of ownership, so it's been edited.

cl-Albert
05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Charles, thanks for the information.

I've checked your serial number and it looks like your unit only came with the 1-year standard warranty, so unfortunately, it sounds like it is too late for you to get this issue covered if it's been more than a year since you purchased it.

By the way if you purchased the unit from a local Micro Center, discuss with them if you are interested since some (but maybe not all?) of their stores can probably get some parts from us too if you purchased the notebook from them.

Sorry, I just realized anybody can purchase the G75VW keyboard from the U.S. eStore site, so if you have a different repair shop you like working with, they can get the part at least.
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3619

Good luck in getting a (quick) solution for that.