PDA

View Full Version : i am confused. new g75vx and ssd installation.

Drqaisar411
02-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Hello guys i know this is already discussed here several times but i couldn't find the right/suitable answer. My situation, i bought g75vx with 750gb hdd preinstalled windows 8. I dont know if it is windows 8 pro or not. There are no included disks as all of you know. I tried to download windows 8 iso but couldnt find it on microsoft website, they have some enterprise trial edition which will expire. I am not msdn subscriber. Asus still didnt make/update their backup utility for g75vx.

So i want/prefer to clone my hdd to sdd, replace my hdd with sdd, remove windows 8 from hdd but keeping the recovery files.

Is there a detail post in this forum how to do that? Also i will be interested in other people's experience who cloned their hdd to sdd with success. I am thankful for all the feeds and will aperitiate it.

lbjgh
02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
I just did exactly what you want to do.

My first mistake was buying a 128GB ssd and not a 256GB which would have been big enough to clone the C: and recovery partitions.

There is a very slick (30 day) trial software called Macrium Reflect 5.1.5603 that'll let clone everything.

Once the drive is cloned you should be able to set the SSD as your boot drive in the bios and fire 'er right up.

I resorted to downloading a win8 ISO using a torrent and while the original HD was removed from the computer I installed win8 on the SSD. Upon reboot I found win8 was already activated with a AAOEM final information on the product ID.

I then reinstalled the original 750GB HD and copied all necessary files to the SSD (temporarily) then I formatted the 750GB HD and made one large 'data' drive.

GottiBoi55
02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
HI my friend!

Lots of people here on the forum had great success with>>> macrium reflect free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)
The main reason for the great success is, Macrium support "GPT partition formatting" .
Asus uses GPT on your G75, so I would try this program if your mind is set on cloning the OS.

You shouldn't have any problems with Macrium, just follow the instructions!

Hope this is of any help for you?

gokica
02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
One possibility is what lbjgh and GottiBoi55 described.

My solution was:

I placed a SSD in the second drive bay. Fired up a Windows 7 installation and installed on the SSD. Placed the SSD as first boot drive and work with it along with the D partition for storage. I left the Win 8 installation and the recovery partition untouched. I did not remove the original drive from the bay. The SSD is actually a MBR and not a GPT partition. If I want to boot from Windows 8 I am just changing the order of the boot options in the Bios.

The same thing could work for Windows 8. Do not clone. Just download Belarc Advisor and search for the Windows 8 serial of your ASUS laptop. Write it down. Than download a Windows 8 iso installation file (the same as your laptop original version which most probably is not pro but standard). Install it on the SSD by creating a MBR partition and it should activate automatically upon connecting to Internet.

And there you have it. No need to clone anything. This way you also have two boot drives which you can use in case one fails. And the recovery partition is also there although I do not see much use for it.

Please note that most of the optimizing utilities for SSD like the Samsung's magician or Intel SSD tool do not work properly with GPT partitions. This is why it is better if you have your SSD with MBR partition on it.

The only thing remaining is the legal issues of having the same operating system on two partitions in one computer. SO do not use the version of Win 8 on your HDD while using the one on the SSD and you are good to go. Keep the HDD win 8 just for the purpose of SSD OS failure.

GottiBoi55
02-03-2013, 11:46 PM
One possibility is what lbjgh and GottiBoi55 described.

My solution was:

I placed a SSD in the second drive bay. Fired up a Windows 7 installation and installed on the SSD. Placed the SSD as first boot drive and work with it along with the D partition for storage. I left the Win 8 installation and the recovery partition untouched. I did not remove the original drive from the bay. The SSD is actually a MBR and not a GPT partition. If I want to boot from Windows 8 I am just changing the order of the boot options in the Bios.

The same thing could work for Windows 8. Do not clone. Just download Belarc Advisor and search for the Windows 8 serial of your ASUS laptop. Write it down. Than download a Windows 8 iso installation file (the same as your laptop original version which most probably is not pro but standard). Install it on the SSD by creating a MBR partition and it should activate automatically upon connecting to Internet.

And there you have it. No need to clone anything. This way you also have two boot drives which you can use in case one fails. And the recovery partition is also there although I do not see much use for it.

Please note that most of the optimizing utilities for SSD like the Samsung's magician or Intel SSD tool do not work properly with GPT partitions. This is why it is better if you have your SSD with MBR partition on it.

The only thing remaining is the legal issues of having the same operating system on two partitions in one computer. SO do not use the version of Win 8 on your HDD while using the one on the SSD and you are good to go. Keep the HDD win 8 just for the purpose of SSD OS failure.

Good point my friend!

But a GPT drive will not clone to a MBR drive if the program doesn't support GPT!
That's why you need a program like macrium to clone the GPT drive.

I tried to use the "intel ssd migration" software, but it doesn't support GPT.
The migration software would not let me select my intel 520 series SSD because of that fact, so guess what failure!

But don't worry, you can convert to MBR after the cloning process!

PS: I would recommend a "clean install" with a Win7 ISO instead of clone!
But it's all up to you, if you have your mind set on cloning!

gokica
02-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you for clarifying this.

One thing that I missed in my explanation was that cloning to SSD is not advised due to the partition alignment problems that can occur.

This is why it is advised a fresh OS installation on the SSD to be made.

I am not knowledgeable of the options in the macrium software but I am pretty sure that once the partitioning is done and OS installed you can not convert a GPT disk to MBR disk by keeping the OS and the files on it. You have to wipe out the contents of the disk first and convert to master boot record.

I could be wrong and maybe the software can do it but make sure to double check this before trying.

GottiBoi55
02-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Thank you for clarifying this.

One thing that I missed in my explanation was that cloning to SSD is not advised due to the partition alignment problems that can occur.

This is why it is advised a fresh OS installation on the SSD to be made.

I am not knowledgeable of the options in the macrium software but I am pretty sure that once the partitioning is done and OS installed you can not convert a GPT disk to MBR disk by keeping the OS and the files on it. You have to wipe out the contents of the disk first and convert to master boot record.

I could be wrong and maybe the software can do it but make sure to double check this before trying.

I had to take my SSD out of my G75VW, and use a "USB to SATA III cable.
Also needed to use another PC to convert to MBR (via that cable), and remove the "recovery partition"

yeah I agree on the "clean install" of Win7!
I not sold on Win8 yet.

gokica
02-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Strange why you had to go through all that.

Once I placed the SSD in the second bay and started windows 8 from HDD, it recognized the SSD and asked whether I want it to be MBR or GPT disk. I clicked MBR and that was it.

Well it is good to know all the options so thank you for sharing this with us.

GottiBoi55
02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Strange why you had to go through all that.

Once I placed the SSD in the second bay and started windows 8 from HDD, it recognized the SSD and asked whether I want it to be MBR or GPT disk. I clicked MBR and that was it.

Well it is good to know all the options so thank you for sharing this with us.

IDK, I thought it was strange too, but I tried from the stock HDD and the "convert to MBR" was grayed out in disk management.
so that's why I had to do all that crap!

gokica
02-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Maybe you had Win 7 installation on the HDD that came with the laptop.

The VX comes with windows 8 and was able to recognize and convert the SSD to MBR straight away.

Or maybe I was just lucky. :o

Another option is that maybe Win 8 got updated in this section so it became possible after your try to convert to MBR.

Anyway once again thanks for sharing this.

GottiBoi55
02-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Yes, I got my G75VW last June, so yeah had Win7 on the stock HDD.
I"m using the stock HDD as a Data drive now.

Drqaisar411
02-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks a lot guys for the comments and suggestions, today i will download windows 8 iso torrent and will do fresh install on ssd. I am just afraid of downloading torrent from famous torrent website due to high risk of viruses. Is there a link available to download windows 8 iso directly from microsoft (not pro or enterprise edition)?

srmojuze
02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks a lot guys for the comments and suggestions, today i will download windows 8 iso torrent and will do fresh install on ssd. I am just afraid of downloading torrent from famous torrent website due to high risk of viruses. Is there a link available to download windows 8 iso directly from microsoft (not pro or enterprise edition)?

Try http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Tomislav
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
that doesn't work. if you enter your win 8 key (the one that came with your laptop) it'l say it's not a retail version.

Drqaisar411
02-11-2013, 06:49 PM
hello guys, still jumping around from website to website looking for a valid windows 8 iso file with no luck. I guess my last hope is to do cloning of my hdd to ssd. :s

Tomislav
02-11-2013, 09:18 PM
read the thread by rewben in the sticky ones, he explains how to make win 8 iso file froma win 8 pro file...;-)