PDA

View Full Version : Phoebus bass to headphones; is something wrong?

Drakerip
02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
This christmas I decided to upgrade my Creative X-Fi Titanium to a Xonar Phoebus.
Despite the bad reputation surrounding the driver's, I still felt I wanted to try the card out, and so far, my experience has been beyond dissapointment.

What I look for is a warm and rich sound, with lively bass. This card sounds worse than any onboard card I've ever listened to. Ever.

I'm not sure if mine is defect or if I'm doing something wrong, but it has to be something, or the reputation this card has gained for being a good one, is pretty much just false fanboism.

I'm currently using 2 different headsets for my card; Qpad 1339 and Sennheiser PC360.
With my X-Fi Titanium, the bass was rich and my music aswell as my games were lively, whereas the Phoebus siginificantly lacks any form of bass. I've tried the Headphone jack, and I've tried the 2.1 setup (Only big speakers work, no bass with small speakers mode).
And all FlexBass does is add a muffle to everything, there's just a very, very slight bass improvement, and this is gained by pretty much killing/muffling out any other sound that I try to listen to.

Also, isn't there any bass control? The Equalizer doesn't cut it for me, it doesn't provide anything, even at the highest level on the lowest frequencies, and the bass starts to crackle an distort when I go this high.

TLDR; bass is bad (To put it very, very mildly), sounds isnt rich or deep/filling, any way to fix this? Tried several things, posted above. Using headphones.

Drakerip
02-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Just tried listening to some Bass Nectar, not my cup of tea for music but it does test your bass well. Basically there's no bass at all, just a crackling sound for an excuse which I wouldnt call bass.

KILLER_K
02-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Try another pci-express slot. Hopefully you removed all the old X-F Titianium drivers, along with disabling the onboard sound in the bios. If none of that fixes you issue, take the sound card back and just use the X-FI until you can look at the new creative sound cards.

WTC
02-05-2013, 12:59 AM
I would guess most likely the problem is your FlexBass setting. Could you post a picture or some detail description of your FlexBass settings?

cx-ray
02-05-2013, 01:26 AM
I currently have both a Titanium HD and Phoebus. The latter has better sound detail, channel separation, over all more depth and fuller sound stage (note: I only use analog stereo for music and 3D headphone sound simulation for gaming).

For reference the Titanium HD already sounds significantly better than your card, which I've previously owned as well.

Perhaps try an alternative slot as Killer_K suggests and a clean software install. If that doesn't solve your issue then your card is either defective or you have a hardware conflict.

Drakerip
02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Here's a printscreen of how it's setup for me at the moment.
http://i.imgur.com/DGX0wrQ.jpg
I'll try to change the PCI slot in a second.

1dB on the FlexBass, and 90 cutoff.

WTC
02-05-2013, 01:00 PM
You're setting seems OK, judging from the screen capture (sorry I forgot there's no FlexBass for Headphone device). Try turn off Dolby PCEEv4, and play around with the cut-off frequency and bass level setting and see how it sound like... If you set cut-off frequency to 100Hz, and turn bass level to positive dB value, the DSP process will boost the audio component of frequency less than 100Hz. Not sure if this works for you.

Drakerip
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
You're setting seems OK, judging from the screen capture (sorry I forgot there's no FlexBass for Headphone device). Try turn off Dolby PCEEv4, and play around with the cut-off frequency and bass level setting and see how it sound like... If you set cut-off frequency to 100Hz, and turn bass level to positive dB value, the DSP process will boost the audio component of frequency less than 100Hz. Not sure if this works for you.

Thanks for the quick answer!
I tried changing the PCI slot, aswell as turning off Dolby, and just fiddling with FlexBass, and I believe I've found something that works for me. However, I also have a pair of headphones that's incoming that really need the Headphone Amp. Isn't there any way to use FlexBass with Headphones?

cx-ray
02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
How does your system sound without any sound "enhancements" through 2-speaker stereo? When everything is working properly your bass should already be clearly audible and well balanced.

Zerid
02-07-2013, 03:57 AM
I use flexBass with my headphones and it works just fine although I'm using 7.1 headphones instead of 2.1

WTC
02-07-2013, 04:13 AM
FlexBass is designed for Bass Management, namely isolate low frequency component from audio data and redirect to subwoofer, so it's for speaker device or 7.1 headphones (which equipped with a separate subwoofer). Therefore there's no FlexBass feature for stereo headphone device. If you want to use Headphone Amp together with stronger bass, I guess your best choice is use equalizer to boost low frequency components. You may try turn on Dolby PCEEv4, but inside the Dolby UI turn off everything except the equalizer and fiddling with the frequency settings for low frequencies.