PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your 8gb SSD partition for? (if you have it)

farlock
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
This question is for those that have that weird 8gb SSD part of the 750gb harddisk. It's a really weird decision to put one in the first place, because it is insuffucient for anything - you can't put an OS on it (well except maybe for WinXP, but who with G75 would put that), you can't use it for system backup, you can't put a bigger game on it. It's basicly useless.
I personally store temporary downloads for the time being.
What do you guys use it for?

cl-Albert
02-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Maybe someone else has seen this, but I have not, and I'm wondering if there could just be something unusual about the way your hard drive is partitioned.
If you are interested in pursuing it, try checking Disk Manager to see how many disk drives are listed and include a screenshot of this as well as Windows/File Explorer with your drive letters if you get the chance.

GottiBoi55
02-06-2013, 04:46 AM
This question is for those that have that weird 8gb SSD part of the 750gb harddisk. It's a really weird decision to put one in the first place, because it is insuffucient for anything - you can't put an OS on it (well except maybe for WinXP, but who with G75 would put that), you can't use it for system backup, you can't put a bigger game on it. It's basicly useless.
I personally store temporary downloads for the time being.
What do you guys use it for?

Welcome to ROG!

What you have is the "Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Drive "
That is a 'Hybrid drive", it uses the 8GB SSD portion as a "cache".
The cache makes searches, apps, and programs load up to three times faster then a regular HDD.
So don't do anything with it, just leave it be and let it do the job of caching your drive.

Hope that sheds some light on things for you?

scarletvw
02-06-2013, 03:23 PM
If he has a Momentus XT he should not see the 8gb ssd cache portion. That is all controlled automatically by the hardware of the hard drive. He may have a recovery partition that he's looking at though. But if he doesn't see a partition and just see's that he has a hybrid drive with 8gb ssd cache he may assume that he can use that space seperatly for his own will.

GottiBoi55
02-07-2013, 02:44 AM
Yeah it's really weird that the "cache" is visible, maybe Windows assigned a drive letter to the cache.
well the cache should be separate from the HDD for Disk Defraging of the HDD portion of the drive.

farlock
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Indeed it is a hybrid harddisk, but Windows 7 is not using it for anything. It's just there - visible. It has a letter assigned to it and it can be used as a normal hard drive.
Is there any setting I should tweak so Windows can use it for caching?

GottiBoi55
02-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Indeed it is a hybrid harddisk, but Windows 7 is not using it for anything. It's just there - visible. It has a letter assigned to it and it can be used as a normal hard drive.
Is there any setting I should tweak so Windows can use it for caching?

No just leave it be, the firmware software should handle all caching.
But you can check for "firmware updates", any tweaks should be in the new firmware update.

cl-Albert
02-08-2013, 08:58 PM
We may want to get the full-model of the hard drive, but isn't the hard drive cache in the neighborhood of just 8MB or 16MB instead of 8GB?
I'd really like to see the Disk Manager screenshot and wonder if there just might be an SD card or USB drive plugged in, or just another partition on the hard drive which we can try to merge or hide if necessary, but it may not be that big of a deal.

GottiBoi55
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
We may want to get the full-model of the hard drive, but isn't the hard drive cache in the neighborhood of just 8MB or 16MB instead of 8GB?
I'd really like to see the Disk Manager screenshot and wonder if there just might be an SD card or USB drive plugged in, or just another partition on the hard drive which we can try to merge or hide if necessary, but it may not be that big of a deal.

No it's 8GB of SLC Nand.
(see below)

But for me that's sorta small, should be at least 30GB MLC NAND!
Most mSATA SSD start at about 30GB
Seagate went with SLC NAND, SLC typically has 10-20 times better endurance than MLC
But SLC is like twice as expensive as MLC, so I guess that's why there's only 8GB of SLC.

tkolarik
02-10-2013, 05:39 AM
He could always go to manage My Computer and remove the drive letter so it will not show up in his list or accidentally write to it.

GottiBoi55
02-11-2013, 04:20 AM
He could always go to manage My Computer and remove the drive letter so it will not show up in his list or accidentally write to it.

You right there my friend, true that!