PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G51jx-a not recognizing ac adapter when plugged in.

Vendrin
02-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Hello, my asus g51jx-a ( i think that's the designation, if not very close to it) has recently begun to no longer recognize when it is plugged in. It simply reads as being on a battery that has 10:00 hours of life and that never goes down. I have tried multiple batteries and adapters, with no solution to the problem.

This isn't a problem for normal web surfing, document processing and others, but I bought this laptop for gaming and since it acts as if it is on battery life, my games all run very choppy.

Thanks for your help.

-Vendrin

Pitcher@asus
02-06-2013, 02:16 AM
hi, i really don't know what is your problem? do you mean your laptop can not be charger when you plug adapter or?

Vendrin
02-06-2013, 03:24 AM
When i plug in the battery it doesn't charge but it doesn't drain either. The laptop doesn't recognize its been plugged in, (still acts as if its on battery speed wise and the task bar icon just shows the battery, but it reads as having 10 hours of battery life that never dra
ins.

dstrakele
02-06-2013, 07:00 AM
I'd try restoring BIOS defaults, then Save & Exit to see if it changes charging behavior.

Vendrin
02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Restored user defaults in the bios, no change.

Vendrin
02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
If no one is able to figure this out, does anyone know how to make my laptop stop throttling itself because it thinks it's on battery?

cl-Albert
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Hi, have you tried changing your Power4Gear settings to 'High Performance"? You can toggle it through the 'instant key' near your power button which looks like a person running or use Fn+spacebar.
You can also right click on the battery icon in the taskbar to select 'Power4Gear Hybrid' and access more of the settings.

dstrakele
02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
If you remove the battery and plug in, does the laptop start? Does it still behave like it's on battery?

I believe you have a hardware issue that cannot be resolved by software or configuration changes. Consider getting your laptop repaired so it functions normally or put the cost of repair towards purchase of a new computer.

Vendrin
02-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Hi, have you tried changing your Power4Gear settings to 'High Performance"? You can toggle it through the 'instant key' near your power button which looks like a person running or use Fn+spacebar.
You can also right click on the battery icon in the taskbar to select 'Power4Gear Hybrid' and access more of the settings.

I've already set it to High Performance and set the CPU performance to maximum, my computer still seems to throttle (maybe the graphics card) when playing games.

If you remove the battery and plug in, does the laptop start? Does it still behave like it's on battery?
The laptop will not start.

I believe you have a hardware issue that cannot be resolved by software or configuration changes. Consider getting your laptop repaired so it functions normally or put the cost of repair towards purchase of a new computer.
Any idea what part specifically might need to be replaced? The DC jack? Something else?

dstrakele
02-07-2013, 10:30 AM
If I had to guess, I'd agree with you, that the problem is in the area of the power connector pin on the motherboard. I suspect ASUS would replace the motherboard if you RMA'd it.

Vendrin
02-08-2013, 05:37 AM
If I had to guess, I'd agree with you, that the problem is in the area of the power connector pin on the motherboard. I suspect ASUS would replace the motherboard if you RMA'd it.

Even if it's no longer under warranty?

Also, anyone else have an idea of how I might stop the throttling?

dstrakele
02-08-2013, 06:10 AM
ASUS will replace your motherboard (if that's what is needed) out of Warranty for some cold, hard cashola. You could also contract the job out to a qualified local computer repair shop and save yourself some time and money by avoiding shipping and insurance costs.

Some have reported gaming on battery by overclocking the GPU, but if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up needing to replace your GPU. There is an entire forum (http://www.overclock.net) where you can research and get assistance in that endeavor.

cl-Albert
02-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Hello, my asus g51jx-a ( i think that's the designation, if not very close to it) has recently begun to no longer recognize when it is plugged in. It simply reads as being on a battery that has 10:00 hours of life and that never goes down. I have tried multiple batteries and adapters, with no solution to the problem.

This isn't a problem for normal web surfing, document processing and others, but I bought this laptop for gaming and since it acts as if it is on battery life, my games all run very choppy.

Thanks for your help.

-Vendrin

Since the notebook is reporting incorrect battery life with different adapters and batteries, it sounds like something else besides the DC jack may be bad?