PDA

View Full Version : Partition my drive or not. that is the question

smidge710
02-06-2013, 04:47 AM
So i dont have any external drives or anything and i have a 1TB HDD in my g75 and im going to be downloading apps, music, videos, all kinds of different stuff on my pc. My question is should i partition my HDD for this? or is this not really necessary anymore? seeing as theres so much backup/recovery solutions out there.. sorry if i posted this in the wrong place

GottiBoi55
02-06-2013, 05:02 AM
So i dont have any external drives or anything and i have a 1TB HDD in my g75 and im going to be downloading apps, music, videos, all kinds of different stuff on my pc. My question is should i partition my HDD for this? or is this not really necessary anymore? seeing as theres so much backup/recovery solutions out there.. sorry if i posted this in the wrong place

Well if you like, go ahead and make one, or two data partitions.
I use two data partitions on my stock HDD for what you mentioned, and also for older games I don't play as much.
(Don't want to load up my SSD with apps I don't use as much!)

I would make then if I was you, if you need to recover the OS at some some time it will makes things a lot smoother!

smidge710
02-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Ok how does one go about doing this? will i lose everything i currently have on here?

rewben
02-06-2013, 05:45 AM
you should create partitions to store and organize your files. it helps to minimize the potential risk to lose data (this could happen when partition tables corrupt due to many reasons. with more partitions, your chance to lose all of them in on go is lowered); it also makes maintenance tasks like defragmenting work faster. i think @GottiBoi55's way is good enough (2 data partitions).

however, i suggest you get an external drive for the sake of data backups. you should be aware and prepared for things like laptops get stolen. when that happens, what really matters is data, not laptop anymore.

smidge710
02-06-2013, 05:56 AM
how do i partition? will i lose my data? im on asus g75vw the best buy model

GottiBoi55
02-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Ok how does one go about doing this? will i lose everything i currently have on here?

Follow these steps, and no lost of data if you follow steps carefully!

1) open RUN by hitting windows key + R and then type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.

2) it opens Disk management Utility there you found your 1TB C drive

3) Now Right click on C drive and click SHRINK VOLUME.

4) A window will be open asking you to how much space do need to make partition as per your choice as1000mb=1gb.
(check how much space you are using now, and add about 100-200 GB to that)

5) After that click SHRINK

6) Then disk management will show you UNALLOCATED SPACE as indicated with black shaded color.

7) Right click on UNALLOCATED SPACE and choose and click on NEW SIMPLE VOLUME

8) And a new volume wizard will be opened. click NEXT.

9) It will ask you make any letter for partition. (just let windows assign the letter to the partition)

10) Click NEXT and choose the partitioned Format file system as NTFS. and also name your label as "Data" choice.

11) click FINISH.

Hope this will help you my friend?

smidge710
02-06-2013, 06:09 AM
awesome yes! much thanks! now what measure should i take for backup

GottiBoi55
02-06-2013, 06:15 AM
awesome yes! much thanks! now what measure should i take for backup

Try this program for "backup">>>Macrium Reflect Free. (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)

Pitcher@asus
02-06-2013, 07:28 AM
if you worry, i suggest you do the back up than try GottiBoi55 way.

smidge710
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM
@mike_lu@ASUS. What exactly do you mean? im not worried about losing my data in the process of the partition, i just didnt know how it worked, and if it needed to be done at time of OS intallation. But i want to keep a backup just incase my hardware fails, rather than system

smidge710
02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
now which should i do first, create backup or partitions? sorry guys im new to backing up my system. i used to never do it and i lost so much data in te past

Clintlgm
02-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Alway back up your data before changing anything!! any time wasted backing up will be less that replacing your data!!!

smidge710
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
ok, if anyone could chime in on the basics of macrium that would be great. and should i periodically be creating new backps and saving the old ones?

Clintlgm
02-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Macrium should have instruction on there web site? And yes you should have a back up scheme to protect your data, and Images that you can go back to should you need too. Images will save you a lot of time if somthing goes wrong with a software installation, virus or any number of things that can break or cripple your window Installation or even if you just change you mind you can go back to before you screwed up or just changed you mind. Beats the heck out of a clean Install everytime?

GottiBoi55
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Alway back up your data before changing anything!! any time wasted backing up will be less that replacing your data!!!

Yes, you should always backup first!

The best way to backup your data is on a "external drive", but you can also backup to one of your data partitions that you created.
If all is well at the time of a new backup, you can delete the old one.

smidge710
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
i was also thinking of just getting another internal HDD and using one for all my data and whatnot and the other one for my OS. is this also a good idea?

Clintlgm
02-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Yep good Idea

smidge710
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
i think this is wht i will do then, that way i dont need to worry about partitioning... SO i can put in any 2.5" drive right? and what do i just pop it in and go? or do i need to get into the bios and whatnot... but now i still need to figure out how to use this macrium program.

smidge710
02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Well? anyone?

rewben
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM
just pop it in and see if it boots. if it doesn't boot then goto bios check the boot order. make sure it points to windows boot manager.

if the new drive is brand new, then you should goto disk management to initialize it; make it a MBR disk; and then format it.

macrium reflect is easy to use. the help page is here (http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx), if you still need it (remember, google is your friend).

smidge710
02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
yes the drive will be brand new.. what should i format it to?

rewben
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
ntfs, using default options.