PDA

View Full Version : Random Shutdowns...NOT from overheating or the need for updates.

cainwyne
07-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Very randomly my G73JH will just completely shutdown, not even the charging light on the front will be lit.

The first time this happened I took it to the Geek Squad and the tech immediately knew what to do.

She removed the battery, then tapped the power switch about 5 times, replaced the battery, plugged in the AC power. The light showed up and the the computer started up just like new using the power button.

Now whenever this happens I just do the same thing but it is getting annoying.

Like I said this isn't from overheating or the need for updates. My machine has all the latest updates.

I have also sent an email directly to ASUS to see if they know what is happening and if there is a fix.

So anyone else having this issue?

I am very fortunate to only have this issue with the G73JH, from what I have seen on the forums and question sites there are many others have issues.

:cool:

xeromist
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Which updates are you referring to? Have you done all BIOS and firmware updates? Not just drivers? Those can be just as critical to stability of your machine. Make sure that you've read Chastity's stickies at the top of this forum and completed all the updates there including firmware.

Chastity@ASUS
07-13-2011, 12:32 AM
And what BIOS and VBIOS do you have installed on that unit?

cainwyne
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I have installed whatever updates came across the Live Update program from ASUS. I have not idea where to find the information on what version of the BIOS an VBIOS I have.

xeromist
07-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Make sure to read Chastity's stickies at the top of this G Series Notebooks forum. Several deal with optimal driver sets (not necessarily what is in the Live Update) and VBIOS.
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?114-G-Series-Notebooks

Chastity@ASUS
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I have installed whatever updates came across the Live Update program from ASUS. I have not idea where to find the information on what version of the BIOS an VBIOS I have.

You can get this info from hitting F2 at ASUS startup screen on the first page of the BIOS. You can also use a hardware info reader like HWINFO or CPU-Z / GPU-Z.