PDA

View Full Version : G46GVW ordered from HID

generic
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I've ordered my G46 from HID. Looking forward to it:

Changes made from the base were:

Intel i7-3840QM
1366 x 768 (shall upgrade to 16x9 when available_)
Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB mSATA SSD
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO
1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
Windows 8

I maxed out on the mSATA as it is harder for me to upgrade later. The RAM screen and hard disc are easy to replace, so I shall do this later on, when wife lets me part with more cash (or does not notice...).

The 1 year HID warranty includes both way shipping for repairs twice annually. A company that is prepared to offer this service either has a bad business model, or performs high quality work. I suspect the latter.

I suspect to hate Windows 8 and buy Windows 7 later, but decided to give it a shot... Or more than likely I shall install Ubuntu.

JwPwns
02-06-2013, 10:56 PM
nice to see that someone's running I7 -3840qm, I'm planing to upgrade mine to I7 3820 qm, when you get yours can you post some benchmark and cpu info so i know things better before actually putting the cpu on mine. thank you

blown9350lx
02-09-2013, 05:30 AM
I just recieved my G75VW from HID and there quality of work is outstanding compared I ordered mine with I7 3840 a glossy hd screen upgrade the best on the list and 32 gigs of corsair vengence memory with the killer 1202 and after burner lights. The only bad was it took tow months for me to recieve it. They told me they had issues with my original G75 and decided to build me another one. I am glad they did I would have hated getting a bad laptop out here in Afghanistan.

be77solo
02-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I've ordered my G46 from HID. Looking forward to it:

Changes made from the base were:

Intel i7-3840QM
1366 x 768 (shall upgrade to 16x9 when available_)
Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB mSATA SSD
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO
1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
Windows 8

I maxed out on the mSATA as it is harder for me to upgrade later. The RAM screen and hard disc are easy to replace, so I shall do this later on, when wife lets me part with more cash (or does not notice...).

Sweet, sounds like an awesome system! So far I've enjoyed having the i7 in mine, runs nice and cool and performs great!

Was curious, I put that same Crucial mSATA in mine, do you know how they are installing these full sized cards? It physically doesn't attach properly to the mounting screw... I'm fine with how I did mine, using a MacGyver style Gorilla tape/electrical tape combo, but can't see a reseller doing that for a customer. I'd love to see what they came up with, wondering if you asked them by chance.

Good luck with the machine, I'm sure you'll love it like I do mine!

gabriox
02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
HIDevoulution seem to be offering the mSATA ssd as the primary hard drive where the OS is installed. then you can choose a bigger sized hdd as secondary to save movie and all that.

be77solo
02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
HIDevoulution seem to be offering the mSATA ssd as the primary hard drive where the OS is installed. then you can choose a bigger sized hdd as secondary to save movie and all that.

Yep, that's exactly right from my understanding as well. That's the same as what a few of us that upgraded them ourselves have done as well and it performs fantastic, you'll love it!

My question was a bit more technical and I'm sure probably didn't come up during the sales chats. The slot that is on the motherboard doesn't mount the full sized mSATA cards "properly", and we've gotten a bit creative on how we each mounted ours. Ted @ HID wasn't offering the upgrade for a while, but now apparently is... I was just curious what their solution was.

Enjoy your new machine when it arrives!

Tomislav
02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
G46 with those specs! sweet...How much did it cost, if it's not a secret?

xeromist
02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
$1974 USD as listed in OP. HID has a configurator on their website so you can see how much various builds would cost, no secret. Not sure if they ship to Croatia. :)
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g46vw-bhi5n43-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html

gabriox
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
$1974 USD as listed in OP. HID has a configurator on their website so you can see how much various builds would cost, no secret. Not sure if they ship to Croatia. :)
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g46vw-bhi5n43-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html

i think you meant 1,079. one thousand and seventy nine dollars.

xeromist
02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
i think you meant 1,079. one thousand and seventy nine dollars.

Nope. The price I listed was with the upgraded CPU, SSD, support, etc. The CPU alone is a $500 upgrade.

Zygomorphic
02-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Let us know how the LINUX install goes! :) We would love to have a log of what works and what doesn't. I would advise against Ubuntu, considering that they send your search queries back to Amazon in exchange for money. While I don't begrudge them trying to generate some cash, the phone-home software should be opt-in, not opt out.

fostert
02-12-2013, 06:47 AM
...Or more than likely I shall install Ubuntu.

Best upgrade you could possibly do. The only thing windows are good for is telling you there is a wall in your way that is keeping you from freedom. ;)

And yes, @Zygo is right: avoid ubuntu....normally I would never steer anyone away from linux, but this distro is behaving an awful lot like microshaft lately, esp. with the amazon phone-home app defaulted to on. Linux mint seems to be a popular choice these days, but I am partial to debian....the most diverse set of packages available for it, and the best package manager (synaptic) I've ever used. And debian is the only distro my sysadmin has ever seen that can upgrade itself completely to a major new version number, without breaking anything.

Ted@HIDevolution
02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Sweet, sounds like an awesome system! So far I've enjoyed having the i7 in mine, runs nice and cool and performs great!

Was curious, I put that same Crucial mSATA in mine, do you know how they are installing these full sized cards? It physically doesn't attach properly to the mounting screw... I'm fine with how I did mine, using a MacGyver style Gorilla tape/electrical tape combo, but can't see a reseller doing that for a customer. I'd love to see what they came up with, wondering if you asked them by chance.

Good luck with the machine, I'm sure you'll love it like I do mine!

We were able to remove that mounting screw. It was a fairly easy fix. :D

Tomislav
02-12-2013, 09:06 PM
2000 $ is a ****load of money. Hope it's worth it. well compared to a macbook pro it's a bargain. If I had that kind of money I would build my self a decent gaming rig...since I'm pleased with my g75vx as it is...

xeromist
02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
2000 $ is a ****load of money. Hope it's worth it. well compared to a macbook pro it's a bargain. If I had that kind of money I would build my self a decent gaming rig...since I'm pleased with my g75vx as it is...

True, but it's much more difficult to upgrade a laptop, especially when doing so voids your warranty. For many people it's worth paying extra to get that better performance up front and a longer useful life before they have to buy a whole new one.

JwPwns
02-12-2013, 11:32 PM

well the total cost for mine with the upgrade of i7 3820qm will only be around $1400 but then my msata ssd size is only 128gb

and building a desktop gaming rig now days are much cheaper. the GPU and CPU in desktop form runs way faster for as much as nearly half the price, i built myself one with FX6100 , Radeon HD6870 crossfire (best bang for your money), and SSD with 1tb storage for little under 900 all parts from newegg

generic
02-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I'll likely put Ubuntu 13 on and remove the Amazon crap (and remove Unity). If Amazon crap is too tightly integrated the n Debian 7 it'll be when in at least in the freeze period/testing before release.

xeromist
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Steam for Linux is out and the games are currently discounted, FYI.

rewben
02-15-2013, 03:13 AM
yeah, after i bought my g55, i came to realize that i could actually customize it before purchase (via value-added resellers or VARs, not locally tough).

it's way cheaper if you're willing to pay a little extra to buy custom builds imo.

Tomislav
02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
well the total cost for mine with the upgrade of i7 3820qm will only be around $1400 but then my msata ssd size is only 128gb

and building a desktop gaming rig now days are much cheaper. the GPU and CPU in desktop form runs way faster for as much as nearly half the price, i built myself one with FX6100 , Radeon HD6870 crossfire (best bang for your money), and SSD with 1tb storage for little under 900 all parts from newegg yup desktop's are more powerful and cheaper, I'm probably gonna build myself one in future if I'll be able to afford it...but while my friends with desktops need a car when they go on a LAN party, I just need my backpack :D...

Zygomorphic
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Best upgrade you could possibly do. The only thing windows are good for is telling you there is a wall in your way that is keeping you from freedom. ;)

And yes, @Zygo is right: avoid ubuntu....normally I would never steer anyone away from linux, but this distro is behaving an awful lot like microshaft lately, esp. with the amazon phone-home app defaulted to on. Linux mint seems to be a popular choice these days, but I am partial to debian....the most diverse set of packages available for it, and the best package manager (synaptic) I've ever used. And debian is the only distro my sysadmin has ever seen that can upgrade itself completely to a major new version number, without breaking anything.

Allow me to throw my (limited) weight around in favor of Debian. The package manager there, as @fostert said, is second only to the next version of Synaptics that hasn't come out yet. :D It has a gazillion packages, so there is plenty of software ready to install. Also, both Ubuntu and Mint are derived from Debian, so you can go straight to the source. Mint is good, from what I hear, and is a variant on Ubuntu without all the Canonical-imposed problems. I have Debian in a VM, and it seems to work quite well. Personally, I use OpenSUSE, but that is a matter of preference more than anything else.

be77solo
02-19-2013, 11:30 PM
We were able to remove that mounting screw. It was a fairly easy fix. :D

Yeah, I removed the screw/tab that was in the way on the bottom case and used the half size card mounting peg on the motherboard as a support, worked great, but the problem I didn't solve perfectly to my perfectionist side was physically securing the full sized mSATA card in place... did you guys add a new mount location onto the motherboard to allow for the mounting screw(s) new location required for the full sized card? Curious mind ha, just a home hobbyist here always looking for a better way :p Curious how a retailer that will put his name behind it and warrant the install solved the problem. Glad to know you guys are out there! Look forward to hearing about the new screens when they are available.

Also, have tinkered a bit with Ubuntu, install went fairly smoothly, keyboard backlight/ATK package was the only real driver I needed to investigate that I noticed. Most things just simply worked.

Ted@HIDevolution
02-20-2013, 01:48 AM
I spoke to our technicians, and what we do is we use a small amount of double sided tape to secure the mSATA SSD to the board, as there isn't a mounting peg to hold the SSD in place with screws. We have done plenty of "testing" i.e. shaking the laptop, carried it around in a backpack for a day, dropping it on the floor, etc ((just kidding on the last one ;). With its current board design, this is the only way to go about installing a mSATA SSD in the G46. We do warrant our work so if there are any issues we will take care of it of course.

be77solo
02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I spoke to our technicians, and what we do is we use a small amount of double sided tape to secure the mSATA SSD to the board, as there isn't a mounting peg to hold the SSD in place with screws. We have done plenty of "testing" i.e. shaking the laptop, carried it around in a backpack for a day, dropping it on the floor, etc ((just kidding on the last one ;). With its current board design, this is the only way to go about installing a mSATA SSD in the G46. We do warrant our work so if there are any issues we will take care of it of course.

Thanks for the information and taking the time to ask! Makes me feel better about my gorilla tape/electrical tape route ;) And thanks for being an active part of the boards! When someone asks about my upgrades and isn't interested in doing the labor, I always send em your way.

generic
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Likewise.

Zygomorphic
02-22-2013, 12:48 AM

Love the hi-tech engineering! :eek: About like the great mutes for trumpets that sink (or toilet) plungers. :D

camu
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey, Ted!

Not sure if you remember me but I'm Jozef, you answered some of my questions about the warranty at HID support :)
My G46 arrived today! Thank you again.

Listen up everybody, HID email support is amazing and so is their service. There's no incorrect auto replies when you ask them questions and they also answer all your questions properly.
My customized G46 arrived in the Netherlands, Europe within 5 days. I was expecting to be waiting for about 2 weeks.

I've got one problem with booting from the external DVD drive but I've made another thread for it here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29545-G46-booting-from-external-USB-DVD-drive&p=229744#post229744) Please have a look!

Ted@HIDevolution
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey, Ted!*

Not sure if you remember me but I'm Jozef, you answered some
of my questions about the warranty at HID support :)*

My G46 arrived today! Thank you again.*

Listen up everybody, HID email support is amazing and so is
their service. There's no incorrect auto replies when you ask
them questions and they also answer all your questions
properly.*

My customised G46 arrived in the Netherlands, Europe within 5
days. I was expecting to be waiting for about 2 weeks.*

I've got one problem with booting from the external DVD drive
but I've made another thread for it here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29545-G46-booting-from-external-USB-DVD-drive&p=229744#post229744) Please have a
look!*

I typed this on my phone so sorry for the formatting.

Hi Jozef. Thank you for the kind words! Great to hear you received your G46 quickly and safely. I replied to your other thread (another user replied but my tech said there was one additional setting you had to disable). If you need more personalized support relating to your product, you can always open a support ticket on our website, or email us at support at hidevolution dot com (which will essentially open a support ticket automatically). We offer LIFETIME technical support on any product we sell.

chrsplmr
02-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Very impressive I might add .. HID .. bring it right out front and all in .. Cudos for the ROG devolutions our friend.c.