PDA

View Full Version : Constant random shutdowns

Angellus
02-07-2013, 03:07 AM
I am experiencing random shutdowns on my new G75VW. For example I am web browsing and suddenly the machine just turns itself off and I have to press the power button to restart. When I do, the fans start making strange noises like they are trying to startup or something... they get normal when the OS boots up.

I am running a clean install of Win8 on a self installed SSD. Anyone have any clues as to what may be the cause?

Thanks.

Pitcher@asus
02-07-2013, 03:15 AM
hi, are you all drivers are installing normal? did you check fan is install normal?

dstrakele
02-07-2013, 04:29 AM
If you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period, I recommend you return the defective laptop for an exchange or complete refund.

Random shutdowns can be caused by overheating or problems with the power supply.

JednaPiroga
02-07-2013, 06:20 AM
I had the exact same thing, the strange thing is that it wasnt like that when i got the pc and it runed great for 6 months, then suddenly it started to turn it self of just like you mentioned. I then did a BIOS update and now for a month it has runed great without any shutdowns.

Before it shuted down atleast once a day,

Angellus
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
What BIOS version are you running now?

Angellus
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
hi, are you all drivers are installing normal? did you check fan is install normal?

Hi, what do you mean by fan is installed normal?

Angellus
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I had the exact same thing, the strange thing is that it wasnt like that when i got the pc and it runed great for 6 months, then suddenly it started to turn it self of just like you mentioned. I then did a BIOS update and now for a month it has runed great without any shutdowns.

Before it shuted down atleast once a day,

What is the BIOS version you have installed now?

Angellus
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
It just happened again... actually while I was trying to write this post, it happened again!

I am detecting a pattern though, it is happening when I am using it on battery and not plugged in. Any clues? This is getting to be really annoying. I am out of the return window from my retailer (15 days) so has anyone had any good experience with ASUS support?

Thanks for your help.

dstrakele
02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
At what % charge is your laptop shutting down? Perhaps you may need to do a battery recalibration. Windows may believe your battery has more charge left than it actually has.

Apexing
02-07-2013, 06:10 PM
could you look in windows logger, it may have an error code, or information on why it shuts down.

Angellus
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
At what % charge is your laptop shutting down? Perhaps you may need to do a battery recalibration. Windows may believe your battery has more charge left than it actually has.

That does make sense... how do you do a battery recalibration?

Angellus
02-07-2013, 06:55 PM
could you look in windows logger, it may have an error code, or information on why it shuts down.

Good call, I just checked and I do have events there. It says Kernel-Power critical event ID 41 Task Category 63. Any ideas?

dstrakele
02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Kernel Power EventID 41 events are generic for unexpected shutdowns (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504). You may need to dig deeper. Examine Warnings and Errors that occurred prior to that unexpected shutdown event.