PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Driver problem on G75vw (306.97 works, anything above doesn't)

Tumbler
02-07-2013, 03:46 AM
I have a new G75vw that I'm having issues with after I upgrade to the latest video drivers. (nvidia)

I have the GTX 660m graphics chip and the internal drivers and the nvidia website say that 310.90 is the newest set. (not including beta)

The highest I can use is 306.97 however. If I use those drivers everything works. I can run the DXdiag with no issues, I can play any game I've tried so far. Website browsing has no issues.

If I upgrade any higher than this, beta drivers included, a lot of stuff stops working. The DXdiag fails on the D3D tests, crashes if I try and run the d3d stuff. If I skip that it will run the test. Games won't even report error messages, they'll just never pop up. I pull up the task manager and look for the item and the most I ever see is a program showing up in the processes (game name typically) but then is just goes away. No error messages. A game like Civ V will pop up the menu to select dx9 or dx10/11 but when I click either one of these options the same thing, menu goes away, game should load, but nothing.

These symptoms are the same no matter what drivers I try above 306.97, beta or otherwise. It's annoying the heck out of me because I can't even get error messages to look up anything. Web browsing also becomes unresponsive as I think the computer is having trouble loading flash and shockwave.

For now I just rolled back to 306.97 but does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Pitcher@asus
02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
so do you mean 306.97 is running normal in your laptop, why do you need 306.97 later driver? is it beta version driver, if yes, i think it have some problem for beta version.

Tumbler
02-07-2013, 07:55 AM
There are two newer full releases which increase performance for games I'm playing. My main concern is that they don't seem to work at all. I assume they are supposed to work?

ganji
02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
A lot of people have had problems with 6 series cards and the 310.70 - 310.90 none mobile versions of the drivers. It's probably better to stick with 306.97 untill they release a better driver set.

Apexing
02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
when you install new drivers, do you uninstall the old one. check the clean install option or ?

Tumbler
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
when you install new drivers, do you uninstall the old one. check the clean install option or ?
I believe I've tried using the clean installation and it made no difference.

Lemme try it, one sec.

Tumbler
02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Tryed clean installing 310.90, just the drivers, didn't bother with others stuff. Same issue. I believe the other stuff is from teh 310.90, I think I installed all the most recent stuff and then only rolled back the video drivers.

Apexing
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
okay, that is very strange, could you perhaps try with a program called driver sweeper and only check the box with vga drivers. http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/guru3d_driver_sweeper_%28no_installer%29,7.html
run the progrma after uninstalling the driver from controlepanel.

Then reinstall the newest driver.

Tumbler
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Will give that a shot.

Edit. No change. Removed drivers, then ran driver sweep, pulled everything off it found. Installed 310.90, dxdiag still crashes in d3d.

Waterheeter
02-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Just upgraded mine to 310.90 today, using a G75vw 660m as well. I was having issues with flash in internet explorer, green bar at the bottom of flash videos with color separation in the video. Did a full uninstall of the old driver, restarted then install the 310.90. Ran DXdiag with no problems.

Did you try uninstalling DX and reinstalling?

Tumbler
02-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Update: Upgraded to 314.07, no issues. Apparently I just needed to skip the 310.70 and 310.90's?

I didn't try uninstalling DX and reinstalling, wasn't sure you could do that in windows 7, isn't DX built into the OS?

dstrakele
02-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Sometimes remnants from previously installed NVIDIA versions that do not UNinstall correctly can cause problems. Consider installing future NVIDIA drivers from Windows Safe Mode. This will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with the video driver installation. Perform an NVIDIA 'clean' install to completely remove the previous NVIDIA version, before the installation of the new version begins.

ganji
02-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Sometimes remnants from previously installed NVIDIA versions that do not UNinstall correctly can cause problems. Consider installing future NVIDIA drivers from Windows Safe Mode. This will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with the video driver installation. Perform an NVIDIA 'clean' install to completely remove the previous NVIDIA version, before the installation of the new version begins.

Newer Nvidia driver's should NOT be uninstalled in safe mode. Here's an OUTDATED guide that tells you why you shouln't uninstall using safe mode. Remember this one is OUTDATED http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1

Here's the new one
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=1776353&mpage=1#1776355

dstrakele
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
I stand corrected! It's right in the NVIDIA Release Notes. If you install the NVIDIA drivers from Windows Safe Mode, the PhysX software will not be installed.

"Issue
Beginning with Release 280, the NVIDIA PhysX System Software is not included in the NVIDIA driver installation/uninstallation under safe mode.

Explanation
The NVIDIA PhysX System Software installer is not compatible with Microsoft's policy for Windows safe Mode. Consequently, installation or uninstallation of the PhysX System Software under safe mode would fail. To allow installation or uninstallation of the graphics driver under safe mode, the NVIDIA PhysX System Software is blocked from the process."

Thanks to @ganji for pointing that out.

You'll need to disable your 3rd party applications, such as MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, and Antivirus applications individually followed by a reboot to unload their drivers.

ganji
02-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks for quoting the post dstrakele. For some reason i've been struggling to post in this thread. chrome kept crashing on me.
I was lucky to stumble across the outdated guide myself a while back when i switched to Nvidia. I had no clue with Nvidia drivers so it saved me some hassle :D
I've linked to that thread quite a few times now as i am seeing increasing numbers of threads about Nvidia driver install problems. A lot people think the older ways still work but considering all the change's made over the last few years. You'd think more peeps would check enit. People get stuck in their ways enit, Once they find a good method they tend to stick to it. Now the new guide is in progress and will help a load more peeps to come :D