PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome screen flicker with Windows 8 64 bit

boofsterb
02-08-2013, 04:46 AM
I have noticed when ever I launch Google Chrome I get a screen flicker and when I load a page i also get a slight screen flicker.
It seems to happen a lot on sights like YouTube and Justintv. It may be flash related I don't really know though.

Anyone else having this problem with Google Chrome?

G75VW-DH73-3D

Primeval
02-08-2013, 04:49 AM
I use Windows 8 64 bit on my G46 and I have never gotten this problem. Odd. Try reinstalling the browser?

boofsterb
02-08-2013, 04:52 AM
It's my 3rd installation. Firefox is fine and same with IE it only happens with Chrome.

Primeval
02-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Try restarting your computer.

boofsterb
02-08-2013, 05:06 AM
rebooted to no avail

dstrakele
02-08-2013, 05:26 AM
In http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/_AJLRTPGTdM, @illutian posts "It appears the flickering is caused by setting SLI Rendering to anything other than 'NVIDIA Recommended' in the 306.97 and 310.70 NVIDIA drivers.

boofsterb
02-08-2013, 06:39 AM
I have the 313.96 driver and it still flickers.

Pitcher@asus
02-08-2013, 06:50 AM
i think it would be google chrom problem, because other borrow have not, please try install previous version.

Dreamonic
02-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Check these settings under Chrome here:

In the address bar, "chrome://flags" without quotes.

Search for “GPU compositing on all pages” and enable it. Next, search for “Disable accelerated 2D canvas” and enable that.

Restart Chrome.

boofsterb
02-08-2013, 07:14 AM
@Dreamonic... Made the changes but i still notice a flicker. It looks like as if a metro app is going to launch for like .1ms when ever i launch chrome or go to a webpage with flash using chrome.

After using it for awhile I think your fix worked. I'm not noticing the flicker anymore but I'm also dead tired I will test this tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Dreamonic
02-08-2013, 07:26 AM
In case the 'fix' was just from wandering eyes, here's something else you can try once you're awake.

Make a new user account and launch Chrome. It might be to do with a few (added or existing) metro apps and personalized account settings that don't agree with Chrome (running) when combined that produce your isolated flicker.

I had some things not run for me on my main account before, but ran fine on a second (newly created) account. That told me it was a setting on my main account that was the problem, not the program itself. I started troubleshooting then because I established a base to work from.

This method shows you that it's not a recent update or older/newer versions of installed software with or without applied fixes, but that of user configuration.

boofsterb
02-09-2013, 02:39 AM
I decided to stick with Firefox don't really want to create extra accounts.

At least Firefox offers 3D can't say the same for chrome

Thanks for everyone's help, really appreciate it.

Cheers :cool:

dstrakele
02-09-2013, 03:45 AM
For those who encounter the same flickering issue with YouTube videos on Google Chrome and wish to troubleshoot further, http://www.vpsnodes.net/2012/08/how-to-speed-up-google-chrome/ may be of interest.

I think @Dreamonic was on the right track with Chrome Flags as they are specific to the Chrome Browser and consistent with the observation that the flickering occurs only on the Chrome Browser.

Enabling "hardware-accelerated video decode" or "Threaded compositing" or some of the other Chrome Flags in the article may be worth a try. But take heed of the Disclaimer - enabling or disabling Chrome Flags can break Chrome on your system, particularly if you run a Beta version.