PDA

View Full Version : G73jh overheat and now fans not working

EdMuse
02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Okay, some history: I've had my G73jh for a little over two years, now, and I've finally gotten it running the way I wanted it to: big SSD, half terabyte secondary drive, real sweet. For the duration, it has been doing nasty things to hard drives, and I finally tracked the problem down to a badly folded drive cable (it's always the simplest thing, right?), replaced that, got a fresh Win7 install on the SSD, even installed a stock Bluetooth board while I was inside it, and all was good...for a brief, shining moment in time....

Now I'm having overheating issues. I have to admit, I haven't done all the diagnostics I could do, yet, but the problems seem to have compounded with the fans -- both of them -- not working, now, so I thought I'd post.

First symptom was unexpected shutdown with no error -- not even a log in the event viewer -- after no more than 20 minutes of uptime. According to CoreTemp, my CPU cores were running at no more than about 90C when this happened, so I suspected the GPU of overheating. Fired it up for the first time in over a day, got a GPU temp monitor, and watched as both the CPU and GPU temps soared to 100 for all four CPU cores, and 110 for the GPU. No auto-shutdown this time, either; I shut it down myself. But here's the thing: this time, the fans -- both of them -- didn't kick in, or if they did they ran so slowly as to be silent, even with my ear right up to them. I could feel warmth at the outlets, but that could just have been hot heat sinks. I grabbed a copy of SpeedFan, but couldn't locate the fan speed figures on it -- I'm starting to suspect that may be because the machine didn't realize it has fans!

I was already thinking in terms of opening the beast up again and repasting the CPU and GPU, but if something is going on with the fans not running, that's not going to solve anything. When the problem started, the fans were working. Now they're not. I've searched for threads and other info on dead fans, but I'm not finding much. Any ideas would be much appreciated. At the moment, I'm letting it cool down before trying anything else.

EdMuse
02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
One more thing: I just went to reboot, and apparently it did do an auto-shutdown. I beat it to the punch, though, with the manual shutdown, so it powered off in the middle of its shutdown cycle.

xeromist
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
If the fans aren't working then you're dead in the water. A laptop can't run without active cooling. Did you take the whole thing apart when you tinkered with the drive cable? You might check to see if one or more fans got disconnected when you were working in there.

EdMuse
02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I know. And yes, I've had it apart, but that was a few weeks ago, and the fans have been working since then. In fact, the fans were running when this apparent overheating/random shutdown issue started happening. They just quit today, but they've worked since the last time I had it apart. I think my next step is to tear it down again and see if anything is physically unplugged, but I doubt that's it. I'm worried that something is fried on the mobo.

xeromist
02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
OK, good luck!

EdMuse
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Mobo is out. Fan problem might just have been that there was so much crap lodged in there that they weren't spinning (like I said -- always the simplest thing, right?). Repasting the CPU while I'm in there. But is there a trick to getting the heat sink off of the graphics card?

EdMuse
02-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Well, I'm posting from my G74, which means I got it back together successfully. Currently, my CPU core temps are running in the 50s, and my GPU is running at 50. Fans are spinning quietly, but spinning. Booted at 6:24, so I've been up for ten minutes. That's about halfway to the most uptime I've had in the past three days. Guess I'm doing okay. Hopefully, by the time I finish this post the machine will have been up for more than 20 minutes.

Looks like the problem was nothing more than clogged fans. The geometry of these fans is such that I now know why it says not to do what I did before reading that I shouldn't do it: don't blow compressed air into the outlets. The warning I read said it was not critical, it just isn't the best way to do it. Well, it was critical. Don't do it. The lint balls that had collected in there apparently got pushed in and wedged against the fans, preventing them from spinning. Well, at least I got the thing thoroughly cleaned out, and repasted my CPU while I was in there.

Three minutes more and I will have beat my best uptime since the trouble started. And the CPU cores haven't gone about 60C. Oddly, thought, the Turbo Boost monitor is staying way up. I suppose it might be the fact that I've got Firefox, Core Temp, GPU Observer, the Event Viewer and the Task Manager all running at once.

But I've been up for 22 minutes, now, and everything looks good. Time to make dinner. Thanks for the help, xeromist.

EdMuse
02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
A day later, all still good. TurboBoost thing was caused by PresentationFontCache.exe causing a bunch of extra usage of core 0. Don't know why, and also don't know why it wasn't showing up in the Task Manager, but a quick Google search showed how to fix it.

xeromist
02-11-2013, 04:52 AM
That's interesting on the compressed air bit. I guess maybe I tend to be less aggressive with the air. I'm mainly looking to move the loose dust. If there are actual hairballs or larger bits I generally clean those during a full teardown. Yes, I realize most people aren't going to do a full teardown though.

jim2527
04-12-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm doomed, I blew 125psi of air from my compressor into the vents of my G73....big huge cluds of dust/dirt came out. It did solve my over heating problem!!!